PDA

View Full Version : Guy Fawkes quote and Bloody V featured on CNN's Wolf Blitzer: lesson learned?

madcat033
11-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Check out this coverage of Ron Paul on the CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxCdrBcdmnM

Well, what do you know? They spent about THIRTY SECONDS talking about Guy Fawkes and blowing up the Parliament. They had the Bloody V on screen with the quote "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy" by Guy Fawkes. They had the bloody V up on screen for over 10 seconds, and then switched to V for Vendetta. The reporter even went on to quote the creator of the website as saying "the message is not violent, it's just a fundraising idea."

GOOD JOB GUYS! Really, thanks a lot. That V for Vendetta shit REALLY helped out the campaign. Did you really think that they wouldn't pick up on this? I mean, all the V references were taken down WEEKS ago and they still found it and put it up primetime on CNN. Instead of talking about Ron Paul, they wasted over 30 seconds (25% of the entire clip) talking about Guy Fawkes blowing up Parliament and the stupid movie V for Vendetta.

That V and scary quote could have turned off a lot of voters. And regardless of whether it turned people off, they spent a large chunk of time talking about Guy Fawkes and V for Vendetta instead of Ron Paul. I mean, it is so rare that we are covered in the media, and now we just GAVE AWAY valuable airtime to some stupid Guy Fawkes and Vendetta distractions.

Now, I am REALLY pissed off about this but today is a great fundraising day and we should continue to donate, so I'm not trying to call anyone out or start problems. All I'm saying is, use this as an example, and THINK before you associate things with Ron Paul. Don't think about what you and your friends want to do, or what you think would be a cool idea. Instead, ask yourself if it will help Ron Paul get elected or not. That is ALL that matters.

And I guarantee this V shit did not help the campaign at all.

FireofLiberty
11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Well cancel it out by donating some more money! ;)

DrNoZone
11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Check out the NY Times piece and the way they covered the connection (see the news section of this forum).

uncloned21
if someone is turned off by that and not turned off by the actual issues of the other candidates, i dont think they would be very useful to have on our side...

jake
no need to argue. Donate more money instead.

matthylland
yeah i learned my lesson.

ron paul REVOLUTION!!!!!!

we need a f*cking tea party

Lord Xar
When is the UCLA running madcat?

paulpwns
are you stupid?

today is the best day in the campaign's history

Thunder
11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Trust me, the whole V thing will be long forgotten by the time the Boston Tea Party money bomb rolls around.

misconstrued
Stfu matcat033. I'm so sick of hearing you idiots rant about this.

Man from La Mancha
You don't know what your talking about the most people know of V is some movie that wakes people up and brings freedom just like Ron...http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amachron.com/ODDBALL_SAYS.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amachron.com/kellys_heroes.htm&h=824&w=568&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ZojYzZQ0n6a01M:&tbnh=144&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doddball%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DN

Austin
Heh, I thought my post was concise and to the point.

Although, I understand the deletion.

r3volution
dam this 3mill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drain
11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
man shut up already. I'm gonna go watch v for vendetta after donating just to piss you off.

deborak
I'm not trying to call anyone out or start problems.

If that were true, you wouldn't have posted this. Fail, LOL.

Ron Paul Fan
Oh please. This is an historic day. They said the campaign had nothing to do with it and that it was non-violent. Let's stop bickering and enjoy the best day we've in the campaign, ever!

Zydeco
11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Whatever. Not 1 American in 100 can tell you who Guy Fawkes was, and the way she tied it into the movie people will just assume it's some Hollywood coolness they're not hip to.

paulitics
Check out this coverage of Ron Paul on the CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer:

Well, what do you know? They spent about THIRTY SECONDS talking about Guy Fawkes and blowing up the Parliament. They had the Bloody V on screen with the quote "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy" by Guy Fawkes. They had the bloody V up on screen for over 10 seconds, and then switched to V for Vendetta. The reporter even went on to quote the creator of the website as saying "the message is not violent, it's just a fundraising idea."

GOOD JOB GUYS! Really, thanks a lot. That V for Vendetta shit REALLY helped out the campaign. Did you really think that they wouldn't pick up on this? I mean, all the V references were taken down WEEKS ago and they still found it and put it up primetime on CNN. Instead of talking about Ron Paul, they wasted over 30 seconds (25% of the entire clip) talking about Guy Fawkes blowing up Parliament and the stupid movie V for Vendetta.

That V and scary quote could have turned off a lot of voters. And regardless of whether it turned people off, they spent a large chunk of time talking about Guy Fawkes and V for Vendetta instead of Ron Paul. I mean, it is so rare that we are covered in the media, and now we just GAVE AWAY valuable airtime to some stupid Guy Fawkes and Vendetta distractions.

Now, I am REALLY pissed off about this but today is a great fundraising day and we should continue to donate, so I'm not trying to call anyone out or start problems. All I'm saying is, use this as an example, and THINK before you associate things with Ron Paul. Don't think about what you and your friends want to do, or what you think would be a cool idea. Instead, ask yourself if it will help Ron Paul get elected or not. That is ALL that matters.

Do you really think that this was a hitpiece? I agree the quote looked really bad, but overall it was ambiguous, and definately not a hitpiece. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Lets just hope that 90% is about RP raising 3 million, not 90% about V, or Falkes blowing up Parliment.

misconstrued
Hey moderator. If you're going to delete posts just delete this whole thread.

ronpaulitician
I guess Dr. Paul and his team must not have done their research when they started promoting today's fundraising efforts.

The minor controversial aspect of this date is probably responsible for a lot of the money that was donated today.

hells_unicorn
11-05-2007, 04:28 PM

I would not have donated $1000 today if it had not been about Guy Fawkes, nor do I suspect that it would have been the case for most of the Libertarian, Catholic, and minarchistic supporters who donated today. You can be pissed off until the end of days if you'd like, this was a great day for the campaign, and it was BECAUSE of the V for Vendetta association. Grow up.

Cali4RonPaul
Come on supporters we dont need to be attacking ourselves, the thread starter made a valid point, and it is worthy to contemplate.

I dont like the V references either and I thought it would not be in our interests, But I am certain this money bomb day would not have been as successful without that initial gimmick to get people's attentions.

LibertyEagle
Oh, c'mon, madcat. We're raising TONS of money, that probably wouldn't otherwise have been raised. There was a good MSM article about the whole deal yesterday.

All this is about is the fact that we're tired of our Constitution being stomped on and We the People, want it reinstated. We're indicating that with donations to the one candidate who we know will do just that.

Calm down. It will be fine.

jake
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
also, by the time the next single day money drive comes around and passes the 'V' stuff will be forgotten so it's a non-issue.

misconstrued
11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I would not have donated $1000 today if it had not been about Guy Fawkes, nor do I suspect that it would have been the case for most of the Libertarian, Catholic, and minarchistic supporters who donated today. You can be pissed off until the end of days if you'd like, this was a great day for the campaign, and it was BECAUSE of the V for Vendetta association. Grow up.

So true.

yongrel
11-05-2007, 04:31 PM
This isn't about how much money we've raised today.

Obviously everyone, regardless of their position on the V matter, is thrilled with the success of today.

That's not the point though.

The fact of the matter is that 30 seconds of valuable MSM coverage was spent discussing the Gunpowder Plot and blowing up Parliament, instead of talking about Ron Paul. It should not be difficult to understand why this is a bad thing.

r3volution
11-05-2007, 04:31 PM
i poop on your negativity ..

/poops

madcat033
11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
if someone is turned off by that and not turned off by the actual issues of the other candidates, i dont think they would be very useful to have on our side...

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Last I checked, all votes count the same. That kind of elitist mentality ("they're obviously not good enough to be on our side anyways") is the kind of shit that's going to lose us elections.

no need to argue. Donate more money instead.

I agree. I'm not trying to argue, I just REALLY want people to think about these things from now on.

are you stupid?

today is the best day in the campaign's history

Exactly. Why not have the WHOLE THING be positive, instead of this smear of Guy Fawkes and blowing up parliament? Did you watch the piece on CNN? Instead of talking about what an amazing day this was, they spent a BUNCH of time talking about V instead.

You should be in agreement with me! This IS the best day in the campaign's history, so it would be MUCH BETTER if the media focused on that entirely instead of focusing on the Guy Fawkes association. Don't you agree?

Stfu matcat033. I'm so sick of hearing you idiots rant about this.

Why? It makes sense. Don't do things that will harm the campaign. Simple.

My ONLY goal is to get Ron Paul elected, and shit like this does NOT help. So I have every right to be angry when we needlessly harm our own campaign.

GHoeberX
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
The fact of the matter is that 30 seconds of valuable MSM coverage was spent discussing the Gunpowder Plot and blowing up Parliament, instead of talking about Ron Paul. It should not be difficult to understand why this is a bad thing.

I agree. I found it sad that CNN started talking about that while Mr. Fawkes really didn't convince anyone to donate for Ron Paul. Ron Paul did.

paulpwns
You should be in agreement with me! This IS the best day in the campaign's history, so it would be MUCH BETTER if the media focused on that entirely instead of focusing on the Guy Fawkes association. Don't you agree?

We dont bring in the cash without the Connection to V.

Why else would we pick the 5th?

You think the media is gonna take our side anyways?

If so you are being naive.

Meatwasp
I wonder if it will bring in Catholic doners Lol

madcat033
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh, c'mon, madcat. We're raising TONS of money, that probably wouldn't otherwise have been raised. There was a good MSM article about the whole deal yesterday.

All this is about is the fact that we're tired of our Constitution being stomped on and We the People, want it reinstated. We're indicating that with donations to the one candidate who we know will do just that.

Calm down. It will be fine.

I'm not saying this isn't a great day. I'm not saying that the day is a failure. This is a GREAT day. I am SO EXCITED.

My only point is, the V stuff harmed the campaign more than it helped, it was extremely unneccessary. That's my only point. Why would we purposely do something to harm our own campaign? Do we not want to get Ron Paul elected or what?

This isn't about how much money we've raised today.

Obviously everyone, regardless of their position on the V matter, is thrilled with the success of today.

That's not the point though.

Exactly. I don't understand why everyone gets so hostile about this and gets so pissed at me for bringing it up. All I'm saying is, if you want Ron Paul elected then WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING THAT HURTS HIS CHANCES OF WINNING?

Taco John
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
THis was great coverage. It was a stroke of genius doing this on Guy Fawkes day...

Gimme Some Truth
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
The minor controversial aspect of this date is probably responsible for a lot of the money that was donated today.

Exactly.

Without the V connection non of this would have happened. FACT.

What you are doin is like winning the lottery , but then turnin around and crying that you had to spend money on the ticket lol

Man from La Mancha
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not saying this isn't a great day. I'm not saying that the day is a failure. This is a GREAT day. I am SO EXCITED.

My only point is, the V stuff harmed the campaign more than it helped, it was extremely unneccessary. That's my only point. Why would we purposely do something to harm our own campaign? Do we not want to get Ron Paul elected or what?

Exactly. I don't understand why everyone gets so hostile about this and gets so pissed at me for bringing it up. All I'm saying is, if you want Ron Paul elected then WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING THAT HURTS HIS CHANCES OF WINNING?Well duh 3 mil really is hurting his campaign and most people know of V is a movie that wakes people up and brings freedom just like Ron.

misconstrued
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Exactly.

Without the V connection non of this would have happened. FACT.

What you are doin is like winning the lottery , but then turnin around and crying that you had to spend money on the ticket lol

QFT

work2win
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Lesson Learned:

We could have had images of founding fathers and a quote by Thomas Jefferson on screen for 30 seconds instead of a bloody V and a quote about "dangerous solutions."

I just hope everyone got this movie obsession out of their system so we can get back to promoting Ron Paul and the Constitution for the rest of the campaign.

Cali4RonPaul
11-05-2007, 04:44 PM
What will probably happen is we will get more and more of the youth vote. Fair Enough, lets get the most we can on target markets we do well with..

Original_Intent
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I am planning on watching the movie for the first time because of this.

Frankly, it is 100% clear that without the V reference today would not have happened. I know many many people that are first time donors that were brought in with the V hook.

You can't have it both ways madcat - either be happy about the 3 million and give credit to the people who came up with it, or say it was not worth the three million, and that the V connection did more damage to the campaign than the money is worth.

misconstrued
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Why? It makes sense. Don't do things that will harm the campaign. Simple.

My ONLY goal is to get Ron Paul elected, and shit like this does NOT help. So I have every right to be angry when we needlessly harm our own campaign.

The November 5th/V for Vendetta angle is the theme that got this whole promotion going. Everyone else just jumped on board once they saw the promotion had legs.

"Shit like this" is the reason we are all celebrating today. You could not be more wrong. Have you even seen the movie?

Save your negativity for another day. Thank you.

OptionsTrader
11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Warner Brothers should donate today for the Ron Paul grassroots movie promotion =)

madcat033, you've made your point. Now please let us have some fun today without the negativity. Just a request.

misconstrued
11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Lesson Learned:

We could have had images of founding fathers and a quote by Thomas Jefferson on screen for 30 seconds instead of a bloody V and a quote about "dangerous solutions."

I just hope everyone got this movie obsession out of their system so we can get back to promoting Ron Paul and the Constitution for the rest of the campaign.

You've clearly learned nothing. You're very wrong.

If you're so sure that a quote by Thomas Jefferson on screen for 30 seconds will work just as well then do it and prove us all wrong!

Gimme Some Truth
11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Could we make December 16th (Boston Tea Party) even bigger than this? Nov 11th is abit too soon to match this effort, but im sure Dec 16th , if marketed aswel as Nov 5th was , could be just as big.

The fact is V is recent and is a cult classic with young people ,who can see all the corruption in the government, today.

For me, V was all about curing the apathy of the people and energizing them to take back their country. Very similar to what is happening today , just not as "movie-fied"

0zzy
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
you're a very angry person. he GOT ON TV!

ItsTime
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
doesnt look like it slowed down donations!

KoozieChaz
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Maybe if we do something on Christmas they'll associate Dr. Paul w/ Jesus?

Dec. 16th Boston Tea Party is a good idea. That's the kind of Revolutionary Event we want to invoke.

me3
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I wonder if it will bring in Catholic doners Lol
You would hope so! It should certainly get some play on the BBC.

Channing
So what. The mass media are going to try and spin anything about Ron Paul no matter what. They'll even invent stories if they have to. The thing is, the idea about a revolution in the movie spawned the whole idea for this event. But people know that this is a peaceful revolution.

We have to give up trying trying to coddle to the mass media.

Buggan
Christ... here we go again.

I normally dont take time to post in threads like this, but I'll have to make an exception this time.

First of all; the V for Vendetta idea was great. It made alot of people aware of the date and I'm quite sure the theme itself helped increase the donations, and to a great extent. The one who came up with the idea as well as the people who worked for it deserves all our praisal, thank you guys!

Second: I dont think any "outsider" in his/hers right mind would be offended by the fact that the 5th is "Guy Fawkes day". I myself think it's exotic, it makes our campaign stick out (which is good). They even made it very clear in the segment that it was the idea of supporters and not the official campaign.

Take some time and smell the roses.

CCTelander
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
It always amazes me when some people try to argue with unqualified success. Glass half empty?

Energy
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
"Guy Fawkes reference completely debunked."

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=30959&highlight=debunked

November 5th is the celebration for FOILING the gunpowder plot.

"Remember, Remember, the 5th of November" is from a poem. The entire purpose of the poem is to remind people that committing treason will not be tolerated.

Summary:
Fact 1: "Remember, Remember, the 5th of November" originates from an English poem where the idea is that committing treason will not be tolerated.
Fact 2: November 5 is celebrated only in Britain.
Fact 3: Britain celebrates November 5 by burning Guy Fawkes in effigy, because after all he is a traitor.

OptionsTrader
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
In a week, remember remember the fifth of November will mean that day when Ron Paul raised more than any Republican online ever in a single day.

In a year it will be looked back upon as a turning point in funding that catapulted Ron Paul into the Primaries.

No one will care about the non-politically correct symbolism.

seapilot
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
The voice of protest, of warning, of appeal is never more needed than when the clamor of fife and drum, echoed by the press and too often by the pulpit, is bidding all men fall in and keep step and obey in silence the tyrannous word of command. Then, more than ever, it is the duty of the good citizen not to be silent. quote from Charles Norton

Sorry,I just cant see millions of $, contribution records broken being a bad thing. Excellent job to everyone that contributed!

freelance
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Save your negativity for another day. Thank you.

Amen to that!

justinc.1089
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Ok here's my take:

1. Its almost over, and a massive success, so why discuss this now?

2. The media attention was not that bad, about what I expected once I found out they took the V stuff off of the website. I would say the time on air did much much more good than bad for sure.

3. V did not help this that much, it was the idea of making a statement against the establishment on one single day by raising millions of dollars that made the difference.

4. We need to get started on the Boston Tea Party tomorrow! We should make it almost identical to this since this worked so well, but just replace Nov.5th and vendetta with the Boston Tea Party instead. If we start promoting now, and keep things the same way we did this date, we could possibly be looking at like a $6 million dollar Tea Party!

NewEnd
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
sour grapes make a terrible whine.

Taco John
11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
The lesson learned:

Always attach fundraisers to references from pop culture that people can latch onto...

Next up: The Boston Tea Party!

Energy
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Lesson:

Never underestimate the unadulterated message of personal freedom and liberty.

Chernitsky
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
shut the hell up

Swmorgan77
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM

It got them over 3 million bucks.

Here's the thing... people LIKE that movie, and so it will help get people's attention.

If CNN wants to compare Ron Paul to blowing up of buildings they can, but it will still draw attention to his campaign and the movie and people will see the similarity between the grass roots peaceful effort here and and the thousands of people in V costumes turning out into the streets peacefully and backing the police state down.

In fact, I honestly don't care if CNN spends the next 24 hours along with FOX and all the neo-cons calling Ron Paul a terrorist. They've already blown their credibility so it will just generate interest and cause people to want to find out what its all about. Of course upon even a cursory examination people will realize that Ron Paul's message has nothing to do with engaging in terrorism.

MGreen
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
If only Paul had $3 million to counteract this "bad" publicity...

Ridiculous
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
A campaign spokes person should not have to say this:

"To be clear, Mr. Benton said, Mr. Paul does not support blowing up government buildings."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/paul-supporters-raise-27-in-a-day/.

I am very glad that Paul took in so much money, but their is a V/Guy Fawkes association in every article about this....

Anarchy, terrorism, blowing up parliament are things all mentioned in the articles about this....unnecessary.....

It could have just been all about Paul, his positions and the money he took in. Instead, there is all this Guy Fawkes BS....

I think that the fund raising drive could have been just as successful without making the V for Vendetta/Guy Fawkes associations.

hells_unicorn
11-05-2007, 09:19 PM
A campaign spokes person should not have to say this:

"To be clear, Mr. Benton said, Mr. Paul does not support blowing up government buildings."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/paul-supporters-raise-27-in-a-day/.

I am very glad that Paul took in so much money, but their is a V/Guy Fawkes association in every article about this....

Anarchy, terrorism, blowing up parliament are things all mentioned in the articles about this....unnecessary.....

It could have just been all about Paul, his positions and the money he took in. Instead, there is all this Guy Fawkes BS....

I think that the fund raising drive could have been just as successful without making the V for Vendetta/Guy Fawkes associations.

I personally think you need to take down that ridiculous Thomas Jefferson quote about the right to keep arms. What kind of terrorist are you, talking about private citizens keeping guns so that they can overthrow tyrannical governments with guns. You are not helping Ron Paul's image with this subversive, extremist stuff in your signature.

Ridiculous
11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I personally think you need to take down that ridiculous Thomas Jefferson quote about the right to keep arms. What kind of terrorist are you, talking about private citizens keeping guns so that they can overthrow tyrannical governments with guns. You are not helping Ron Paul's image with this subversive, extremist stuff in your signature.

:rolleyes:

James R
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
man shut up already. I'm gonna go watch v for vendetta after donating just to piss you off.

I knew this whole donation thing was just a conspiracy to get us to watch V for Vendetta. FINE, I'll watch it already! I'm going to watch V for Vendetta. Its at the top of my Netflix Q. Happy now? I'm even more angry than you are, drain, but I can't control myself either.

fightfortruth
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
If only Paul had $3 million to counteract this "bad" publicity...

That's the best thing I have heard on this thread yet.

hells_unicorn
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Since you are still unable to see the obvious cognitive dissonance on display between your viewpoint of this fund raiser and your signature, I'm forced to return the favor.

Corydoras
11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I think the tie-in with the movie actually charmed the NYT. They called it a "gimmick" but the general tone was admiring. I mean, when was the last time that a politician benefited from a tie-in with a movie?

MGreen
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Though this could have been a problem, we're getting off pretty light. Every story I've seen has made sure to include either the campaign or the creator of ThisNovember5th.com saying it was just a handy date and has nothing to do with some violent overthrow. A Veterans' Day money bomb would have avoided this entirely, but one could argue that the peculiarity of the date attracts its own amount of press.

I'm kind of hoping that Colbert will mention this when his show comes back. His whole candidacy was a tie-in with Doritos; now Ron Paul, friend of the show, has received millions from a movie tie-in. Huckabee should align himself with the new Radiohead album.

freelance
11-05-2007, 11:01 PM
In fact, I honestly don't care if CNN spends the next 24 hours along with FOX and all the neo-cons calling Ron Paul a terrorist. They've already blown their credibility so it will just generate interest and cause people to want to find out what its all about. Of course upon even a cursory examination people will realize that Ron Paul's message has nothing to do with engaging in terrorism.

Excellent point.

justinc.1089
11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
You know I just watched the Situation Room clip on youtube again, and half of the time spent showing Vendetta showed a big V with the quote in front of it saying "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy" and then the other half just showed like a still picture of the movie Vendetta, which doesn't matter really too much because a pic of a movie is not bad really. Anyway, the quote is good if people read it because it points out there's a disease in this country, the government, and its going to require a dangerous remedy, which means a remedy going against all odds and the establishment that may end up being seen as a little different or radical. It might get people thinking maybe Ron Paul is our remedy because the government is getting to be a disease to us now.

The success of this entire thing is just so amazing though.