PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Ron Paul's Campaign at the Mercy of Its Own Supporters

FrankRep
10-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Ron Paul's Campaign at the Mercy of Its Own Supporters (http://news.yahoo.com/ron-pauls-campaign-mercy-own-supporters-162000612.html)
Are They Paul's Greatest Strength or Weakness?

Yahoo News - Andy Wang
Sep 26, 2011

Ron Paul's campaign has reached a crucial stage. Although he still lags behind front-runners Rick Perry and Mitt Romney by a considerable margin, he is pulling away from the other contenders. However, as Paul is receiving more media attention, it is becoming increasingly clear he might not be the master of his own destiny. Instead, Paul's presidential aspirations may be in the hands of his own supporters.

Supporters of Ron Paul have long been regarded as highly energetic and devoted. They have carried Paul through straw poll after straw poll and almost managed to pull off an upset over Michele Bachmann in Iowa. However beneficial such energetic supporters are to Paul, they may also signal the downfall of his campaign.

There are two types of Paul supporters. The first will take the time to explain to you why you should vote for Paul, why he is the best candidate, why he can beat President Barack Obama, and why he is truthful and honest. They will speak to you in cordial terms and wave to you when you pass by them in the street. These supporters of Paul may even have been nice enough to guide you to the right tent when you "accidently" ventured into Mitt Romney's tent for the Iowa straw poll.

The second type of Paul supporters is the type that should worry Paul. They speak in condescending terms to those not voting for him, go onto the Facebook pages of other contenders and post inflammatory comments, and clap and cheer when asked if a man should die simply because he chose to not buy health insurance. It is this type of a Paul supporter that told me I should "go back to China" when I wrote a somewhat critical article about Paul a few weeks ago.

These supporters of Paul spell disaster for his campaign. Although they spread the message of Paul, they do so with side dishes of venom and poison. Instead of attracting new followers and supporters, they turn away prospects with their childish antics and buffooneries. Unfortunately for Paul, it is likely that these supporters will garner the most media attention.

Paul's campaign has reached a crucial stage. That crucial stage is a passing of the media baton from himself to his followers. Paul's campaign has always been based on grass roots activism. But due to Paul's lack of media air time, it is now more dependent than ever on supporter and volunteer help.

Both types of supporters will cross bridges for Paul, but one type will burn those bridges so that others cannot follow. Both types of supporters will carry Paul wherever he may go, but one type of supporter will carry Paul into the Oval Office. The other will carry him into retirement.

SOURCE:
http://news.yahoo.com/ron-pauls-campaign-mercy-own-supporters-162000612.html

donnay
10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
That's why the message to all needs to be-- NO ONE BUT PAUL!

The message is: The GOP is delivering up another four years of Obama, unless they back Dr. Paul!! Dr. Paul is the ONLY candidate who can beat Obama!!

One Last Battle!
10-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Inb4 "THEY'RE JUST PLANTS BY OTHER CAMPAIGNS"

MikeStanart
10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
They're just cia plants

:)

sailingaway
10-01-2011, 08:48 AM
This is old.

Pericles
10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
This is old.

That ^ isn't the issue. Is the article speaking the truth? I'd suggest to you that it is. Too much snark directed at potential voters is not a reputation that builds confidence in the choice of candidate.

FrankRep
10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
This is old.
I get attacked viciously almost everyday on RonPaulForums.com for not being a libertarian -- and I'm a Ron Paul supporter. I'd hate to see how vicious the attacks get with everyone else.

Kotin
10-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I get attacked viciously almost everyday on RonPaulForums.com for not being a libertarian -- and I'm a Ron Paul supporter. I'd hate to see how vicious the attacks get with everyone else.

Frank is right.. some of us alienate the hell out of the average voter.. I have seen it first hand at events like CPAC and SRLC.. some people in this movement do not treat other supporters or candidates how they would want Ron to be treated and this has to STOP.. unfortunately, these people cannot be controlled or stopped.. someone has to talk to them.. tell them they are hurting Ron by doing these things..

if anyone knows these kind of supporters personally, they should talk to them.

AlexAmore
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I've studied philosophy/critical thinking, Dale Carnegie, Eckhart Tolle and libertarian concepts since around 15. I was self taught homeschooled. That stuff is what allows me to keep my utmost cool even when discussing issues with a flaming liberal. I see other people try to do it and the argument always comes crashing down to a bickering-fest.

Ron Paul and libertarianism is a great concept, but supporters should dig deeper and make themselves more well-rounded and read (eastern) philosophy, Dale Carnegie...etc.It'll make you a far more interesting debater for sure and attack issues on many different levels with a variety of different angles all with a nice calming demeanour. You'll also notice your flaming liberal will have nothing to do but listen instead of mirroring your aggressiveness.

MRoCkEd
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Frank is right.. some of us alienate the hell out of the average voter.. I have seen it first hand at events like CPAC and SRLC.. some people in this movement do not treat other supporters or candidates how they would want Ron to be treated and this has to STOP.. unfortunately, these people cannot be controlled or stopped.. someone has to talk to them.. tell them they are hurting Ron by doing these things..

Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this...

AuH20
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
We have alot of late comers to the party, who aren't exactly well-versed on the philosophy and level of decorum which accompanies it. Sure, we gain fantastic energy from these people, but the negative is that they're extremely abrasive.

Original_Intent
10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
It is not just the late comers. Even back in 07 I was appalled by a lot of the behavior. Ron Paul certainly has the most amazing and diverse supporters, but even then there was a large amount of reiligion bashing - especially Christian bashing - that I am sure turned off many many potential Ron Paul supporters.

AuH20
10-01-2011, 10:36 AM
It is not just the late comers. Even back in 07 I was appalled by a lot of the behavior. Ron Paul certainly has the most amazing and diverse supporters, but even then there was a large amount of reiligion bashing - especially Christian bashing - that I am sure turned off many many potential Ron Paul supporters.

That's the painful process of turning progressives. They still can be very hostile towards certain factions they fully don't understand.

pcosmar
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Isn't there a sub forum for Media Hit pieces?

AGRP
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
There's always things everyone can work on.

Ron Paul supporters acting in such a way is a natural byproduct of outlets, ironically such as yahoo, blatantly blacking out Ron Paul and his message. Expect to hear people yelling and screaming when the fire department doesn't notice that a house is on fire.

ctiger2
10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
A lot of Paul supporters have a giant chip on their shoulder as a result from Ron's continual marginalization by the media.

I find myself defending Ron wherever I can, albeit in a more respective manner.

Sentient Void
10-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I've studied philosophy/critical thinking, Dale Carnegie, Eckhart Tolle and libertarian concepts since around 15. I was self taught homeschooled. That stuff is what allows me to keep my utmost cool even when discussing issues with a flaming liberal. I see other people try to do it and the argument always comes crashing down to a bickering-fest.

Ron Paul and libertarianism is a great concept, but supporters should dig deeper and make themselves more well-rounded and read (eastern) philosophy, Dale Carnegie...etc.It'll make you a far more interesting debater for sure and attack issues on many different levels with a variety of different angles all with a nice calming demeanour. You'll also notice your flaming liberal will have nothing to do but listen instead of mirroring your aggressiveness.

Absolutely. *EVERY* Ron Paul supporter and activist *needs* to buy this book:

'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671723650

You can find it online in some places for only a few bucks. srsly

GeorgiaAvenger
10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
It is true. A friend of mine on another forum went from being an interventionist to being somewhat non-interventionist. Apparently after being attacked many times on the DailyPaul for not being a purist, he has gone back to full blown interventionist. Instead of defending Paul, he attacks him. And he isn't doing it because of logic, but because of anger. Likely anger that came from being attacked by a pack of vicious supporters that only name call.

Anti Federalist
10-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Meh.

Maybe some truth there.

I find hard to take seriously however, considering the source, "a media report".

If the fucking media did their job properly, we wouldn't have to get in people's faces left and right with a sense of frustration.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Meh.

Maybe some truth there.

I find hard to take seriously however, considering the source, "a media report".

If the fucking media did their job properly, we wouldn't have to get in people's faces left and right with a sense of frustration.

There IS truth to it. The crazy supporters are the reason I didn't understand Ron Paul earlier than I did, because they made me think Ron was some crazy grumpy old man.

If for example, I had been introduced to the Mises institute instead of the term "neocon", I would have given him more thought early on.

ItsTime
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
black....this.....out

ronpaulitician
10-01-2011, 03:14 PM
If someone doesn't 100% agree with every single one of my beliefs, then they're just a commie or neocon and we don't even want their vote.

ItsTime
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
The horror stories I could tell you from some of the people that "came and helped New Hampshire" in 2007 would blow your mind. They acted in such a way I swear to god they wanted Ron Paul to lose.

RDM
10-01-2011, 03:24 PM
The horror stories I could tell you from some of the people that "came and helped New Hampshire" in 2007 would blow your mind. They acted in such a way I swear to god they wanted Ron Paul to lose.

I sure hope those same people don't show up this year. We need NH in a very important way.

emazur
10-01-2011, 03:46 PM
The article is correct - there are some bad Ron Paul supporters who will alienate potential voters. It didn't even mention the 9/11 truthers (if you are, fine, but DO NOT tie Ron Paul into this). But in fairness to Paul supporters, voters of every strife are pretty stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLmWHKK4TY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL987A5043DBDFAF38

Badger Paul
10-01-2011, 04:34 PM
", and clap and cheer when asked if a man should die simply because he chose to not buy health insurance. "

Again I ask what proof is there this was one of our supporters? Why is this lie being repeated?

Sentient Void
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
", and clap and cheer when asked if a man should die simply because he chose to not buy health insurance. "

Again I ask what proof is there this was one of our supporters? Why is this lie being repeated?

Yeah, that's bullshit.

RDM
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I would like to add something here on a little advice. When online whether it be facebook, forums or comment boards from articles, its easy to get caught in a debate with one other commenter. Remember, even though you are spending all of your time responding to this one individual that is obvious will never convert no matter what you say, there are hundreds and hundreds of others that are reading your posts and not responding. So if you act civil trying to convert this one impossible, you may be converting some of the other silent readers. But if you act like a jerk, then you could be possibly turning away ALL of those silent readers. Just go out there and act like RP would be proud of you.

TCE
10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Always be respectful, always. No matter how stupid, cruel, or inflammatory the person or post, do not respond in kind. Keep you cool at all times. If you don't, we all lose. This is why Ron has such high unfavorabilities in states even though he's extremely nice, his supporters throw him under the bus with their behavior. I've witnessed it so many times I can't even begin to count.

PierzStyx
10-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Which is ironic considering that Dr. Paul, with hsi strong belief in state's rights to regulate things like abortion and drugs and his strong stance against open borders, is not a libertarian either. He is a real conservative.

Brett85
10-01-2011, 06:46 PM

I hear ya. I've been called a "troll" here constantly, even though I've donated money to Ron's campaign and donated money to Rand's Senate campaign.

kill the banks
10-01-2011, 07:10 PM

my first thought

Bruno
10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Hundreds in the audience that night and the one unnamed guy who shouted to let him die is a Ron Paul supporter? Yeah, whatever.

Pericles
10-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Hundreds in the audience that night and the one unnamed guy who shouted to let him die is a Ron Paul supporter? Yeah, whatever.

And there are some conservatives that "get it" too, like this;

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/09/a_tea_party_conservatives_defense_of_ron_pauland_h is_supporters.html

I wouldn't want to run off people who write this:

What I fear more than a Ron Paul presidency is the possibility that his supporters will become disillusioned and alienated by conservatives who are hell-bent on destroying the man personally, rather than debating his ideas thoughtfully. It is imperative that Paul's young followers feel as though their voices can be heard and our debate can be civil. We stand to gain nothing as a movement by destroying Ron Paul personally and marginalizing his supporters. Our country is crying out for a new generation of leaders to grab the baton and restore constitutionalism after decades of destructive policies by corrupt politicians.

With regard to Ron Paul and his supporters, I appeal to my conservative brethren to raise the level of debate and avoid the urge to use the same unfair tactics that our adversaries employ. We will need Ron Paul and his constituency to get behind another conservative in the race, in the probable event that he doesn't win the GOP nomination. The majority of our viewpoints are in agreement. We can debate the rest and in the meantime work together toward restoring our Constitution, economic health, individual liberty and our superpower status...together, one step at a time.

pcosmar
10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
And there are some conservatives that "get it" too, like this;

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/09/a_tea_party_conservatives_defense_of_ron_pauland_h is_supporters.html

I wouldn't want to run off people who write this:

What I fear more than a Ron Paul presidency is the possibility that his supporters will become disillusioned and alienated by conservatives who are hell-bent on destroying the man personally, rather than debating his ideas thoughtfully. It is imperative that Paul's young followers feel as though their voices can be heard and our debate can be civil. We stand to gain nothing as a movement by destroying Ron Paul personally and marginalizing his supporters. Our country is crying out for a new generation of leaders to grab the baton and restore constitutionalism after decades of destructive policies by corrupt politicians.

With regard to Ron Paul and his supporters, I appeal to my conservative brethren to raise the level of debate and avoid the urge to use the same unfair tactics that our adversaries employ. We will need Ron Paul and his constituency to get behind another conservative in the race, in the probable event that he doesn't win the GOP nomination. The majority of our viewpoints are in agreement. We can debate the rest and in the meantime work together toward restoring our Constitution, economic health, individual liberty and our superpower status...together, one step at a time.

I read that. and then I read it again.

Our country is crying out for a new generation of leaders to grab the baton and restore constitutionalism after decades of destructive policies by corrupt politicians.
Then elect Ron Paul,, and quit blowing smoke up our asses.

We will need Ron Paul and his constituency to get behind another conservative in the race,
There would have to be one first. Dr' Paul is the ONLY Conservative in the race.
And then this convoluted crap,

restoring our Constitution, economic health, individual liberty and our superpower status...
Say what?

It is interesting that this HIT PIECE targets Paul's supporters but makes no mention of other candidates supporters.
It takes little more than reading the brain dead drivel posted on other sites in support of various candidates, or the mindless bloodthirsty comments behind the latest state sanctioned murder.

heavenlyboy34
10-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Absolutely. *EVERY* Ron Paul supporter and activist *needs* to buy this book:

'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671723650

You can find it online in some places for only a few bucks. srsly
Indeed! I have it, and it's a must read for those interested in persuading others. Napoleon Hill's books are pretty good too.

heavenlyboy34
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Which is ironic considering that Dr. Paul, with hsi strong belief in state's rights to regulate things like abortion and drugs and his strong stance against open borders, is not a libertarian either. He is a real conservative.That is a libertarian view. There is a segment of libertarians who argue that the border area should be privately owned and maintained. This puts responsibility on the landowners to prevent damage to other people because they would be held liable if, say, an illegal alien used a piece of property to sneak into the US and commit a crime. The other good thing about this sort of system is that in case the government thugs get REALLY out of control, people have someplace to escape to.

acptulsa
10-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Then elect Ron Paul,, and quit blowing smoke up our asses.

There would have to be one first. Dr' Paul is the ONLY Conservative in the race.
And then this convoluted crap,

Say what?

It is interesting that this HIT PIECE targets Paul's supporters but makes no mention of other candidates supporters.
It takes little more than reading the brain dead drivel posted on other sites in support of various candidates, or the mindless bloodthirsty comments behind the latest state sanctioned murder.

Well, you're right. But how are you going to get a majority of the nation to walk a mile in our shoes? Especially with the media playing this passive-aggressive game on us.

No, I don't for a second believe the 'LET HIM DIE!' guy was one of us. I think he was a plant, in fact. He was a little to pat, and a little too quick. If he wasn't a plant, he was a dyed in the wool liberal who was waiting for a chance to troll. That said, I have seen us go to places like HuffPo, try to do the right thing, and respond in kind to way too personal snark.

This won't work for us. There's a reason Jesus taught his disciples to turn the other cheek. If you want to win friends and get your message heard, the way to do it isn't to sink to the level of your adversaries, but to stay above them when they stoop to that level and try to keep the discourse rational. You want to provoke an emotional reaction, yes, just like most everyone in politics does these days, but the emotion you want to provoke is, who is the liberal who claims to be loving and compassionate--the idiot resorting to insults and innuendo? And who is the conservative here, who has a reputation for idiocy and knee jerk reactionism--the person who is trying desperately to keep this civil? Maybe I should rethink what I'm told about these two groups...

These foils aren't going to be converted, and they aren't going to be civil. Our goal should be to demonstrate that we don't need to resort to their tactics, because we have a better tactic--we're right and we can prove it!

This naked attempt by Yahoo to declare Ron Paul guilty by association with us is right. His campaign is 'at our mercy' because we are his campaign. The status quo warmongers all have the MSM on their side, and the conventional wisdom is being used to support them. We are Ron Paul's only mouthpiece to counter the weight of this. And the only way we have to disarm the trolls who would claim to be us is to be so civil at all times that the trolls make themselves obvious with their incivility.

Keep turning the other cheek.

Cowlesy
10-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh no no no. We're never going to win rank and file GOP supporters, and you're just a republican fan-boy scared of the truth!!! Global revolution is the answer and you GOP lovers can go straight to hell or join us when we enter this mythical stage of changing the entire planet!!! In fact, anyone who doesn't agree shall endure my self-righteous pontifications of telling you how you're wrong and you should ignore this "political game" you don't know how to play! Because none of our increasing acceptance has anything to do with you spending time working within the system, it's all due to us summarily dismissing your ilk and spreading truth via clever pictures and rants to people who can't stand us.

Come on Kotin get with the program!

Edit: and the article states this

and clap and cheer when asked if a man should die simply because he chose to not buy health insurance.

I call bullshit on that line. You can't peg that to a Ron Paul supporter. For all this jerkoff reporter knows it was a Perry supporter.

acptulsa
10-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Rage against the machine. Not against the poor soul who hasn't figured out just yet that the machine-made Kool Aid is poison.

Bruno
10-02-2011, 07:20 AM
It is probably best to ignore it, but another approach would be to fund a grassroots reward for information leading to the identity of the idiot who shouted, "Let him die!". Guaranteed he is not a Ron Paul supporter.

acptulsa
10-02-2011, 07:28 AM
It is probably best to ignore it, but another approach would be to fund a grassroots reward for information leading to the identity of the idiot who shouted, "Let him die!". Guaranteed he is not a Ron Paul supporter.

It's an idea. Yeah, it would be nice to ignore it, but the media won't let it lie. Show Ron Paul, play the idiot yell, cut off Ron's answer. Time after time after time.

The question is, how do you find him, and how do you prove it was him? That would be a neat trick, indeed.

jmdrake
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM

<sarcasm>
Right. And you never attack anyone else. :rolleyes:
</sarcasm>

Zatch
10-03-2011, 11:24 AM
The article is correct - there are some bad Ron Paul supporters who will alienate potential voters. It didn't even mention the 9/11 truthers

And the rabid anti-zionists.

jmdrake
10-03-2011, 11:34 AM
And the rabid anti-zionists.
And the rabid pro-zionists.
And the pro secessionists.
And the anti secessionists.
And the pro lifers.
And the pro choicers.
And the pro open border types.
And the anti immigration types.
And the pro gay marriage folks.
And the anti gay marriage folks.
And and and....

The biggest trick the MSM pulls on us is thinking we have to fight ourselves in order to "save" Dr. Paul. Most everyone I've met that was against Dr. Paul was against him for something that he said as opposed to something done or said by his supporters. And yeah, he's right. We have to concentrate on helping the rest of America realize that he's right instead of attacking each other. But attacking each other is so much easier.