PDA

View Full Version : Rep Walter Jones On The Jason Lewis Show

Rael
09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Jason discusses the assassination and talks with Walter Jones.

http://www.jasonlewisshow.com/

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
This is a good interview. Blames the MIC and campaign donations for the wars continuing....
He came on in hour 3.
Podcast of hour there is available here:
http://archives2011.gcnlive.com/Archives2011/sep11/JasonLewis/0930113.mp3

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
hah, WJ dropping the "the neocons" wordbomb.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Rep. Jones made a great case both for Dr. Paul and ending the wars. "Ron Paul is my candidate"...etc
worth a lesson and I could see jones in a Paul cabinet, his heart is certainly in the right place.

Feeding the Abscess
10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
We'd do well to have another ten Walter Jones and Timothy Johnson types in the House.

erowe1
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Rep. Jones made a great case both for Dr. Paul and ending the wars. "Ron Paul is my candidate"...etc
worth a lesson and I could see jones in a Paul cabinet, his heart is certainly in the right place.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him be RP's VP pick.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him be RP's VP pick.
yeah, i was thinking the same thing. The libertarians wouldn't like it as much as the conservatives.

nobody's_hero
10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Is there an archive? I can't find the interview.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Is there an archive? I can't find the interview.

http://archives2011.gcnlive.com/Archives2011/sep11/JasonLewis/0930113.mp3

erowe1
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
yeah, i was thinking the same thing. The libertarians wouldn't like it as much as the conservatives.

My general impression of Jones is that he wants to side with RP a lot more than he ends up doing, but he has a tendency to cave into the leadership when the pressure gets turned up high.

bluesc
10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I really like Walter Jones. He is a good person to present to the pro-war types. He initially supported the Iraq war because he "didn't have to courage to oppose it" and then went on to say about Ron that he "admires his opposition to the war despite the establishment pushing for it". He is also very religious. He is living proof of a convert in Congress. It can be done with one pro-war religious man, it can be done with many others.

I'll give this a listen later on.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
My general impression of Jones is that he wants to side with RP a lot more than he ends up doing, but he has a tendency to cave into the leadership when the pressure gets turned up high.

Agreed, he wants to keep his job. And he made it pretty clear in this interview that a lot of the bad things that keep going on (wars) only continue because of MIC funding to campaigns.

nobody's_hero
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
OH, my bad, specs. Thank you. Overlooked it.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
./

Feeding the Abscess
10-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Jones is much more liberal than conservative when it comes to social programs, freepers and their ilk will absolutely detest Jones. Pretty much every super liberal democrat in the house votes most frequently with Jones, of all Republicans.

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Jones is much more liberal than conservative when it comes to social programs, freepers and their ilk will absolutely detest Jones. Pretty much every super liberal democrat in the house votes most frequently with Jones, of all Republicans.

ah, well I don't consider the freepers conservatives. :)

erowe1
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM

I don't think that's accurate. He's been disrespected a lot by conservative groups like Club for Growth over the years. And I agree that his voting record is far from perfect when it comes to domestic spending. But I think those groups tend to exaggerate those differences, while failing to give Jones credit for when he takes a fiscally conservative stand that the rest of the GOP doesn't (for example, one of those times he voted with the liberal Democrats was when he and they voted against Medicare Part D, and all the supposedly conservative Republicans voted for it), and I think his outspokenness against neoconservatism has a lot to do with that.

Here's something Antle wrote up after the 2007 primary when conservatives were gunning for him.
http://takimag.com/article/keeping_up_with_walter_jones#axzz1ZkmebW2o

Feeding the Abscess
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
ah, well I don't consider the freepers conservatives. :)

True enough, but the GOP base would dislike Jones nearly as much as they would Ron. Kinda falls back into your "well, they ain't consoivative (say it in Mark Levin's voice, it's comedy gold)" argument, of course. Ha.

Feeding the Abscess
10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't think that's accurate. He's been disrespected a lot by conservative groups like Club for Growth over the years. And I agree that his voting record is far from perfect when it comes to domestic spending. But I think those groups tend to exaggerate those differences, while failing to give Jones credit for when he takes a fiscally conservative stand that the rest of the GOP doesn't, and I think his outspokenness against neoconservatism has a lot to do with that. Here's something Antle wrote up after the 2007 primary when conservatives were gunning for him.
http://takimag.com/article/keeping_up_with_walter_jones#axzz1ZkmebW2o

I think the differences are exaggerated as well, I was merely presenting an argument from the derp crowd's point of view. I'd prefer a stronger libertarian as Ron's VP, but he could certainly do much worse than Jones as his pick.