PDA

View Full Version : Assassination is Immoral and Illegal Under US Law

ronpaulhawaii
09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
I wrote a blog post about today's big news

Well, another fanatic is dead. While I will cry no tears for him and expect The Lord will deal with him justly, I do cry for my countryman who seem to think it is OK to ignore the rule of law when it suits their purposes. This is a slippery slope to hell and I hope my fellow Americans take the time to honestly look at the big picture.

more at link http://www.maresco.us/opinion/assassination-is-immoral-and-illegal-under-us-law

(http://www.maresco.us/opinion/assassination-is-immoral-and-illegal-under-us-law)

TexMac
09-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Good post. Tweeted it.

TheDriver
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm sickened by seeing many "alleged" Christians cheering this murder, and I'm sure our forefathers are turning over in their graves (again).

Sola_Fide
09-30-2011, 04:49 PM
That was excellent man.

Travlyr
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Assassins are judge, jury, and executioners. It is immoral and illegal under the rule of law.

moderate libertarian
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
That depends. Besides citizenship, race/ethnicity also matters in such decisions to assassinate American citizens without a trial as Obama apparently has just done.

As Obam ahas been planted by borderline racist lobbies, won't be surprised if he does not operate with one standard on such calls.

Erdogan slams Obama for silence on Israel's Gaza flotilla raid

"I asked President Obama whether the reason he showed no interest in one of his nationals being killed was because [the victim] was [ethnically] Turkish - he didn't reply," said Erdogan.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/erdogan-slams-obama-for-silence-on-israel-s-gaza-flotilla-raid-1.383618

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
What about Letters of Marque and Reprisal? Does that count as legal assasination?

ronpaulhawaii
09-30-2011, 05:18 PM
What about Letters of Marque and Reprisal? Does that count as legal assasination?

A letter of marque and reprisal gives authority to capture, not execute. If the targeted cutthroat fights back and is killed, that is a different story.

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
A letter of marque and reprisal gives authority to capture, not execute. If the targeted cutthroat fights back and is killed, that is a different story.

The bill Ron Paul introduced in October 2011 against bin Laden and al Qaeda basically gives the authority to execute

"...for the capture, alive or dead, of Osama bin Laden or any other al Qaeda conspirator..."

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.3076:

Becker
09-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Ok, so if he were tried and executed by the state, that'd be better, right?

Or is it never OK to kill a person no matter who does it, no matter what he has done?

Nothing personal against you, but when I hear anti-death penalty arguments, they range from "I'm for killing, but against government doing it" then I hear "I'm against killing that's illegal"

pcosmar
09-30-2011, 05:29 PM

NO. Letters of Marque are not murder contracts.

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:31 PM

No, they don't say "go and kill this guy for cash", but they give the authority for people to capture, dead or alive, the person who the letter of marque and reprisal names.

Becker
09-30-2011, 05:32 PM

they are not contracts, but are they not authorizations or licenses to kill?

Bruno
09-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Should the same rules for state assassinations apply to serial killer in the U.S.?

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
they are not contracts, but are they not authorizations or licenses to kill?

A "letter of marque and reprisal" would involve permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders.

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Should the same rules for state assassinations apply to serial killer in the U.S.?

Only if their Muslim

/s

pcosmar
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM

At least there would be a trial. And if any evidence exists or any defense given it is at least in public view.

Though I am not morally opposed to the Death Penalty, I am not a supporter of it due to the corruption of our courts.

Becker
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Of course not.

Becker
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
A "letter of marque and reprisal" would involve permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders.

in this case, did it matter whether it/he was in Yemen or Afghanistan?

TonySutton
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
The bill Ron Paul introduced in October 2011 against bin Laden and al Qaeda basically gives the authority to execute

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.3076:

This bill was specifically for persons involved with 911. It was not an open invitation to kill anyone deemed a terrorist until the end of time. Please read the full text.

~~~

I replied on a mail list where several members were speaking negatively about Ron Paul's remarks. I replied as follows:

What crime did Al-Awlaki commit?

Who determined that he was guilty?

Do you believe we wasted time and money giving Timothy McVeigh a trial?

When the Obama administration determines that Tea Party and 912 groups are racist terrorist groups will you want a trial?

I can tell you where it started. Do you know where it will end?

First they came for the communists and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the jews and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a jew.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.

Now we are writing a new verse,

First they killed American citizens without due process because someone said they were terrorists.
Then they killed American citizens without due process because...

What should the next line be?

Do you trust the man in the white house to write it?

~Tony

Becker
09-30-2011, 05:38 PM
This bill was specifically for persons involved with 911. It was not an open invitation to kill anyone deemed a terrorist until the end of time. Please read the full text.

so by this standard, anybody killed around bin Laden are "assassinated" and "innocent bystanders who didn't deserve to die"?

pcosmar
09-30-2011, 05:41 PM

It allows a private citizen (not the Military) to recoup losses from foreign shipping (or entity).

The private citizen would have to show actual loss from the actions of those involved.

So far all I have seen or heard are vague accusations that these guys might have inspired some.

And the source of those claims is hardly credible.

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
This bill was specifically for persons involved with 911. It was not an open invitation to kill anyone deemed a terrorist until the end of time.

I know that, and that's why I think these are a very good tool to use. They are specific as to who they cover, so the government or the private citizens who are executing the letters can't just go out and kill anyone they think is a "threat". It's not like these days when the CIA can simply shoot a missile at a house where they think one suspected potential terrorist might perhaps be hiding.

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
It allows a private citizen (not the Military) to recoup losses from foreign shipping (or entity).

The private citizen would have to show actual loss from the actions of those involved.

So far all I have seen or heard are vague accusations that these guys might have inspired some.

And the source of those claims is hardly credible.

I completely agree with you. That's why I'm completely against things like this and why I support Letters of Marque and Reprisal, even if they end up killing the guy without a trial. At least in that case there's a clear target, with a clear reason, and it has to be proven.

ronpaulhawaii
09-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Or is it never OK to kill a person no matter who does it, no matter what he has done?

Nothing personal against you, but when I hear anti-death penalty arguments, they range from "I'm for killing, but against government doing it" then I hear "I'm against killing that's illegal"

I used to be for the death penalty until I worked a few years of conferences for Applied Bio-Systems (the guys who make genotyping machines). They always had this ex-cop do a presentation on the amount of innocent people on Death Row (AB machines were proving their innocence). That made me rethink my position, and now, due to incompetence, corruption, and the costs of execution, I do not support the death penalty. That said, I do not condemn all killings whether done by the state, or individuals. For myself, it is a case by case basis.

In this case, I believe there were better ways of bringing this fanatic to justice and I fear the way Obama went about it will make us less safe in the long run

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
I used to be for the death penalty until I worked a few years of conferences for Applied Bio-Systems (the guys who make genotyping machines). They always had this ex-cop do a presentation on the amount of innocent people on Death Row (AB machines were proving their innocence). That made me rethink my position, and now, due to incompetence, corruption, and the costs of execution, I do not support the death penalty. That said, I do not condemn all killings whether done by the state, or individuals. For myself, it is a case by case basis.

In this case, I believe there were better ways of bringing this fanatic to justice and I fear the way Obama went about it will make us less safe in the long run

I kind of have the same feeling about the death penalty. I'm all for it in theory. I believe there are certain crimes (aggravated murder, child rape) that are so heinous that the only reasonable punishment that befits such unspeakable acts is the death penalty. But I'm always weary of the justice system as I am of every state institution.

And I also completely agree with your second point. There are much better ways of dealing with terrorist threats. I think drone strikes can be ok, for example when there's a declared war against a state harboring terrorists like the Taliban was doing in Afghanistan. Also to take out known terrorist camps when there is Congressional authority given. Also I believe Letters of Marque would work well in deterring terrorists. Obviously a change in foreign policy would give the most profound effect though.

Becker
09-30-2011, 06:05 PM

Thanks.

"costs of execution" is misleading, it implies it's the cost of the killing itself, it isn't. Killing is always cheaper than prison.

otherwise, I agree with your positions.

ronpaulhawaii
09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks.

"costs of execution" is misleading, it implies it's the cost of the killing itself, it isn't. Killing is always cheaper than prison.

The exorbitant costs of capital punishment are actually making America less safe because badly needed financial and legal resources are being diverted from effective crime fighting strategies. Before the Los Angeles riots, for example, California had little money for innovations like community policing, but was managing to spend an extra $90 million per year on capital punishment. Texas, with over 300 people on death row, is spending an estimated $2.3 million per case, but its murder rate remains one of the highest in the country.

http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html

ancient350
09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Assassination is Illegal Under US Law
Marc Faber said "Obama speech is irrelavant for USA and European markets".

TRUMP: Obama's Presidency May Be The Greatest Scam In The History Of The United States

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-obama-birth-certificate-2011-4

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks.

Yeah the litigation leading to an execution is always in the millions of dollars.

Becker
09-30-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html

ha, like I said, none of these costs are due to the execution itself.

They are added costs of our system, I'm all for eliminating most of them.

PreDeadMan
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
missing words from the title Assassination is Immoral and Illegal Under US Law UNLESS YOU WORK FOR THE CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION KNOWN AS GOVERNMENT

AuH20
09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, at least the sides are established. :)

MaxPower
09-30-2011, 08:24 PM

...Ron Paul time-traveled to next month and submitted a bill?

eduardo89
09-30-2011, 08:25 PM
...Ron Paul time-traveled to next month and submitted a bill?

haha shit, i meant 2001

presence
03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
#standwithrand