PDA

View Full Version : Florida GOP says at least one (unnamed) campaign has paid thousands of dollars for a list

Splinter
09-30-2011, 07:09 AM
"Is there a lot of money involved? Not really. Unlike the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa last month, delegates pay their own registration fees and book their own hotels. In past cycles, candidates have courted the delegates with expensive events, but this time around there’s been little high-profile campaigning. That said, the Florida GOP says at least one (unnamed) campaign has paid thousands of dollars for a list of delegates."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/the-florida-p5-weekend-and-straw-poll-explained/2011/09/21/gIQAyS5jlK_blog.html

I remember reading this before the Florida Straw Poll, and just recently thought about it again. It of course doesn't tell you whose campaign donated the "thousands", but is it safe to assume that it might have been Cain? He did do well in the debates, but I don't think it was that much better than some of the past debates. And from some of the other things I've read, he did spend a lot of time in FL.

I don't really think any of this matters in the long run, but just something I was thinking about. Thoughts?

ZanZibar
09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Probably they were referring to Huntsman since he put a lot of effort into it. But I would think all of the candidates would have the list?

sailingaway
09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
I think it was Perry. I was hearing from people going that they were getting practically daily calls and emails from his campaign. They may have been exagerating, possibly.

Cain's radio show broadcast in Florida. On a smaller scale, it was like having Rusho there.

rp08orbust
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
"Is there a lot of money involved [in winning Presidency 5]? Not really."

In past years there has been. For example, Bob Dole spent $1 million winning it in 1995. Seeing what's happened to Cain this year, it's not hard to see why.

Splinter
09-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the input. I just don't see how Cain can have such a huge boost in such a short time. I think he performs well in the debates, just don't know how that translates in him crushing the straw poll. And now he is the media's darling.

parocks
09-30-2011, 09:08 AM
The assumption that was made here is that Cain bought a lot of tickets a long time ago. Perry, presumably, was spending money trying to persuade people to vote for him. But Cain had his people in place months ago. Cain planned ahead, spent money on this, and was successful with his plan.

sailingaway
09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the input. I just don't see how Cain can have such a huge boost in such a short time. I think he performs well in the debates, just don't know how that translates in him crushing the straw poll. And now he is the media's darling.

Cain had his initial media push right when people were organizing for P5 which had to be done way in advance. He also is a popular conservative talk show host in Florida. But the main thing was that Perry floundered right before the poll, and people were actively looking for someone to latch onto and he gave a good speech. He doesn't hold up on examination. But he will have a ton of money in the last week, he said it was his best fundraising week, ever.

Splinter
09-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks. Cleared up a lot.
So basically Cain orchestrated a great move. And with Perry losing big time, it was even more successful.

rp08orbust
09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks. Cleared up a lot.
So basically Cain orchestrated a great move. And with Perry losing big time, it was even more successful.

I don't think Cain orchestrated anything. NO ONE was organizing for Presidency 5 in the spring and applications were trickling in at an alarmingly slow rate for the RPOF. If Ron Paul had seized the opportunity, he absolutely would have won the straw poll.

But I do think it's possible that a lot of Cain supporters were spontaneously applying for P5 right before the deadline, which happened to be when Cain was peaking.