PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the difference between a Tea Party Member and Teabagger?

gavin
09-29-2011, 10:51 PM
First off, hello ladies and gentleman. I recently signed up for this forum, and I'm looking forward to reading opinions about small (or no) government. I noticed that this discussion forum is much more popular than the one at mises.org, I suppose that is because the admiration we all feel towards Dr. Paul (both of them).

Also, I hope my topic title isn't insulting to anyone. I should say that I consider myself a Tea Party member, but not like the followers of Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry. I see them as Teabaggers. Maybe this thought is disparaging to all Tea Party people, let me know please.

In any case, I'd like to start a discussion here on the ways of determining who is Tea Party--and who is Teabagger. Let me start with a few questions that one could ask a so-called Tea Partier to determine the real lay of the land:

What state is home to Jekyll Island?
Can you name a single Austrian economist? (Ron Paul doesn't count.)
Life, Liberty and [fill in the blank]

I think if self-proclaimed Tea Party member cannot answer any of those questions, then ... well, they are something slightly different.

You thoughts, please?

Proph
09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
The way I separate two is their stance on the wars. I try not to get too mixed up in labels, though.

wannaberocker
09-29-2011, 11:08 PM
I read a WSJ article about Bachmann saying she loves reading Mises. Would that make her a partier and not a bagger?

Rothbardian Girl
09-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I read a WSJ article about Bachmann saying she loves reading Mises. Would that make her a partier and not a bagger?
I doubt it. She has shown she clearly hasn't absorbed Mises too well, otherwise she wouldn't be peddling the crap that she does now.

specsaregood
09-29-2011, 11:22 PM
You thoughts, please?

It sounds like you want to think of yourself as better than others, make enemies and throw around silly labels.

emazur
09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
One surefire way to distinguish the 2 is the same way to distinguish a conservative from a neocon: If you're not supporting Ron Paul for president, what is your opinion of Ron Paul?
Neocon/Teabagger: Ron Paul would be terrible for this country - his economic ideas are off the wall, he doesn't believe in a strong national defense, and he doesn't believe in protecting our ally Israel. They have no hope. Examples: Dick Morris, Michael Medved, Mark Levin

Tea Partier/Conservative: Ron Paul is excellent on economic ideas, he is a good man, and he is the most consistent person in government. He has many great qualities, but his views on national security are a deal breaker for me. Examples: Sean Hannity (as he is currently), Ann Coulter (not sure about currently, but she did endorse Paul 2012 on Red Eye I think in 2009), and I think Michael Savage. It's odd that I just named some hardcore neocons here (and I'm not fans of any of them), but basically my view is that if they can be worked with or if they would grudgingly support Paul if he got the GOP nomination, they are arguably genuine Tea Party/Conservative. You have to be careful of flip flopping though, which all 3 of the people I just named are apt to do. But they are (or can be) a step above the Tea baggers. Foreign Policy should be addressed from a fiscal angle (see my Ron Paul 2012 article in signature) to get them to become true Paul supporters

Of course, the true Tea Partiers and true conservatives are rooting for Ron Paul 2012.

jtstellar
09-30-2011, 01:06 AM
so now we're taking cues from msms, literally using the ill mannered term they come up with.

anaconda
09-30-2011, 01:33 AM
They are one in the same.

wannaberocker
09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I doubt it. She has shown she clearly hasn't absorbed Mises too well, otherwise she wouldn't be peddling the crap that she does now.

Yeah, though im guessing her and Dr Paul are prob the only two people who actually have read Mises. The how much she was able to absorb is a diff story.

Matthew5
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
I see them as Teabaggers.

Rachael Maddow would be proud.

I think neocon (or neoconservative is you feel that neocon is too abrasive) is a better term.

ForLiberty2012
09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Count their teeth. Then ask them what they think of muslims/gays... I think it will be clear by that point.

ninepointfive
09-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Being personally involved in the tea parties last election cycle, it consists of all kinds.
Many in the tp movement are social conservatives, and a handful of others are Israel first-ers.

Teo-Cons - Bandwagon joiners who think their version of freedom is restricting social liberties, and supporting Israel. They are here to capitalize on the momentum, and could care less about principles.

Mostly, I currently describe the tea party as a Republican party contingency who doesn't like the current political establishment. THEY WANT TO BE THE POLITICAL ESTABLISHMENT. Anyone in my area who is a "Tea Party Leader" mostly is just there to stroke each others' egos. They don't even consider Ron Paul.

So a bunch of ego absorbed assholes think they can claim the banner of liberty, while not even fully understanding the principles behind liberty. They are clickish and ignorant, and exclusionary. Reminds me of high school popularity-isms, and compromised souls.

Don't even get me started ;(

One of the reasons this happened, is because there aren't enough strong Ron Pauler type leaders to carry the banner and lead these ignorant masses who at least are sympathetic to liberty/ even if they a=don't fully understand it.

AbVag
09-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Does she consider Mises fiction? Does she "love" reading Mises so that way the guilt by association can discredit Mises?

wannaberocker
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Does she consider Mises fiction? Does she "love" reading Mises so that way the guilt by association can discredit Mises?

The article.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304259304576375491103635726.html

Ronulus
09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Teabaggers: Hate government only because Obama is president. Love government when any president is office with an R beside the name and then blame the liberal senators/congress for our problems. Also support the wars.

Tea Partiers: See unrestrained government as the problem, be it Democrat or Republican.

realtonygoodwin
09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Yay collectivism!