PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get called a 'liberal' for supporting Ron Paul?

Xelaetaks
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Someone said this today, something to that extent that I'm going liberal or something but honestly my reasons for supporting Ron Paul have nothing to do with the tag of 'liberal', although maybe the ideologies do.

I just want a real change for this country and a president who respects our freedoms and will turn the ecnomy round, end the war on drugs, end our wars overseas, stop government corruption whereever possible, etc.......

I never once have called myself a 'liberal' not that there's anything wrong with that ether, but I guess it is easier for the older generation to tag things they don't understand. Cheers.

NewRightLibertarian
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Just state how Ron Paul's the most conservative candidate of them all. You gotta engage these people in a debate. At the very least, they will show themselves to be an ignorant idiot. Best case scenario, you'll win over another person to become a supporter

MJU1983
09-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Just state how Ron Paul's the most conservative candidate of them all. You gotta engage these people in a debate. At the very least, they will show themselves to be an ignorant idiot. Best case scenario, you'll win over another person to become a supporter

Exactly,

Per, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul:

According to University of Georgia political scientist Keith Poole, Paul had the most conservative voting record of any member of Congress since 1937.[3] (http://voteview.com/Is_John_Kerry_A_Liberal.htm)

Lord Xar
09-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I had some friend say that to me once a few years back. I sorta laughed and proceeded to explain that RP is probably the most conservative candidate to have run in recent times..... more than a few republicans bought into the notion that big government is ok as long as it supports things like endless wars, fed control over abortion etc.. It seems that many of them forgot about states rights and the more that govt is localized the more power an individual has.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes.

Counter with Ron Paul being the standard bearer of the Old Right.

SWATH
09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I've been called a a crazy left winger and a crazy right winger for supporting Ron Paul. Just goes to show people have no idea what the fuck they're talking about.

Verrater
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Ask them compared to who?
Then list off the other things the other candidates support. Abortion, gun control, subsidization of illegal immigration, ignoring the Constitution. etc

spladle
09-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Link them to this and tell them to scroll to the bottom: http://www.voteview.com/is_john_kerry_a_liberal.htm

CasualApathy
09-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Nope, but I have been called "damned sexy" for supporting Ron Paul once :D

Xelaetaks
09-29-2011, 11:07 PM

Damn that's so true. It was funny he made an example how a Ron Paul fan walks by a burning building and says the government shouldn't help them and I said yes the state should help them not Government lol. Local level makes much more sense for local issues.

By the way this all started because of the Ron Paul bumper sticker I have on the back of my car I got from Webster Hall. I actually have an extra RP bumper sticker too, maybe I'll post it somwhere near my college or something. ¥

CableNewsJunkie
09-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Just run with it, tell them you're a "Classical Liberal"

Xelaetaks
09-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I should also mention we were talking about Rick Perry and I mentioned the HPV vaccines how he tried to force injections to kinds in his state and his defense was that Rick Perry did it for money so I closed it off saying that Rick Perry is a whore then lol.

Xelaetaks
09-29-2011, 11:15 PM

John F Kennedy III
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
I get called democrat/liberal/neocon/right wing nutjob etc all the time. Sheep are amusing.

loveshiscountry
09-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Someone said this today, something to that extent that I'm going liberal or something but honestly my reasons for supporting Ron Paul have nothing to do with the tag of 'liberal', although maybe the ideologies do.

I just want a real change for this country and a president who respects our freedoms and will turn the ecnomy round, end the war on drugs, end our wars overseas, stop government corruption whereever possible, etc.......

I never once have called myself a 'liberal' not that there's anything wrong with that ether, but I guess it is easier for the older generation to tag things they don't understand. Cheers.

Not only are people uninformed, people are confused. At different times I've been called a liberal, a progressive, gay, and told to go to Africa because of what I support. Truth is, we support freedom and liberty.

Feeding the Abscess
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I should also mention we were talking about Rick Perry and I mentioned the HPV vaccines how he tried to force injections to kinds in his state and his defense was that Rick Perry did it for money so I closed it off saying that Rick Perry is a whore then lol.

Meh, HPV isn't going to work well as an attack. People are used to vaccinations in a general sense, so they'll likely associate HPV as another in that line. Just let Perry implode on his own, and tout Ron instead.

Jandrsn21
09-30-2011, 12:13 AM
No, But I have been called an anti semitic storm trooper! :D no joke!

KingRobbStark
09-30-2011, 12:18 AM
I have never been told that. As a mater of fact. I get more of a "he's a right wing nut" response.

LibertyRevolution
09-30-2011, 06:08 AM
I have had to explain to people that being a Libertarian does not mean I'm a liberal. Does that count?
Some people really have no clue.

Dark_Horse_Rider
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
a guy that said he would vote for Mcain in '08 said RP was too liberal for him

got a good chuckle from that

acptulsa
09-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Suggested response:

Well, you know, it's Romney who votes like a Democrat most of the time. Ron Paul only votes like a Democrat when the Democrats decide to take a fling at peace and freedom.

But hey. If you consider trying to conserve the wisdom and love of liberty of Thomas Jefferson to be a liberal thing, then I'm your definition of a liberal and proud of it.

tremendoustie
09-30-2011, 06:55 AM

Let's see, Romney's for (and I have references for all these things if you like):

-Nationalized Healthcare
-Gun Control, including the Brady bill, "assault" weapons bans, and waiting periods.
-Government Financed Abortion
-Campaign Fiance Reform, including taxes on donations and even unconstitutional spending limits for congressional races
-The Bush TARP bailouts, and the Obama "stimulus"
-C02 emissions caps
-Minimum wage increases
-Ongoing massive government interventionism overseas

Paul opposes these things, and yet he's the "liberal"? Riiiight ....

LawnWake
09-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes, if only because in most of the world 'liberal' still has the 'old' definition, you know, the Hayek one, not because I'm like a Democrat. >.> Hell, Ayn Rand is listed on a website as a 'liberal thinker (http://www.liberal-international.org/editorial.asp?ia_id=1117).

Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of liberals, back in the early/mid 20th century started calling themselves libertarian simply because the original liberal movement had been hijacked by "big government conservatives" in the name of pseudo-progressivism?

Raudsarw
09-30-2011, 07:45 AM
You are a liberal if you support Ron Paul. Do not let the statists pervert the term, take it back. We're all liberals.

tremendoustie
09-30-2011, 07:47 AM
You are a liberal if you support Ron Paul. Do not let the statis pervert the term, take it back. We're all liberals.

Yeah, that's true too. "Liberal" used to mean pro-liberty.

Raudsarw
09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah, that's true too. "Liberal" used to mean pro-liberty.

In my country it still does. The word "libertarian" doesn't exist in Estonia. It truly disturbs me how in the United States, those who oppose true liberalism have hijacked the word.

Pizzo
09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes. I've also seen the term "Liberaltarian" thrown around. But then you can point out how they are actually the liberals (in the modern context of the word) by referencing some of the so-called conservative policies they support. Then I chuckle.

LawnWake
09-30-2011, 08:38 AM
In my country it still does. The word "libertarian" doesn't exist in Estonia. It truly disturbs me how in the United States, those who oppose true liberalism have hijacked the word.

It's just a word, if 'libertarian' fills that void in their eyes, who cares?

And libertarian and liberal aren't exactly the same. Liberalism is closer to Ayn Rand's pro-small government philosphy than to the "anti-government/government is a necessary evil" ideals of libertarians, which does have some practical implications.

Close enough, though. Still, I'm more about meaning than semantics and for as long as people favor individual freedom and minimalization of authoritarion opression in any area, I'd say I'm on the same page.

Matthew5
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I just got called a "damn liberal" for standing up for the rights of American citizens to not be assassinated. :D

Mises_to_Paul
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
There is such confusion and general muddiness surrounding the words liberal and conservative that I prefer to simply use the Statist/Anti-Statist distinction.

It seems to make sense to people from my experience, and can be used as a launching point for future discussion.

CaptainAmerica
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Yup,and a death threat from a neo-con,but it didn't bother me , I was open carrying.