PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney David Frum - Why the GOP should embrace Mitt Romney

Anti Federalist
09-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Fee Fi Fo Frum...I smell the smell of a Neo-con. (And yes, he really is one)

Why the GOP should embrace Mitt Romney

hxxp://theweek.com/bullpen/column/219715/why-the-gop-should-embrace-mitt-romney

The Romney Campaign

David Frum

Why the GOP should embrace Mitt Romney

Rick Perry isn't up to the job. Chris Christie isn't coming to the rescue. Republicans must accept that the candidate they want is right in front of them

posted on September 28, 2011, at 4:28 PM

h xxp://theweek.com/bullpen/column/219715/why-the-gop-should-embrace-mitt-romney/1

Page 2 of 2

3) Mitt Romney is the Republican candidate best positioned to respond effectively to the challenge bequeathed by Barack Obama's health-care reform.

Tea Party Republicans talk loosely of repealing the Affordable Care Act. That's not so easy for three reasons:

i) It will take 60 votes in the Senate to repeal, and Republicans are unlikely to have them;

ii) Important parts of the Affordable Care Act are very popular, and repealing them will trigger intense opposition;

iii) Private health insurance costs are exploding again, and plain repeal of ACA will expose more Americans to the full impact of those costs — which they won't like.

Republicans need a realistic approach to what is feasible in the reform of ACA.

There are deals to be done to fix its worst problems (the financing mechanism, the additional Medicaid burdens on states, the lack of cost control) — but outright repeal will convulse the American political system for years and very likely end in failure.

The candidate who can make the necessary deals is the one who understands the health system best — and also the one candidate who cannot be accused of secretly wishing to destroy the principle of universal coverage. Mitt Romney delivered universal coverage before universal coverage was cool. That's an achievement to be boasted of, not an embarrassment to be apologized for.

sailingaway
09-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Yet another reason to vote against Romney.

Bruno
09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Another "Plug your nose and pull the lever" campaign, huh? No thanks!

TheTexan
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
The candidate who can make the necessary deals is the one who understands the health system best — and also the one candidate who cannot be accused of secretly wishing to destroy the principle of universal coverage. Mitt Romney delivered universal coverage before universal coverage was cool. That's an achievement to be boasted of, not an embarrassment to be apologized for.

That's really an extraordinary statement. I don't think I've heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for Mitt Romney.

Sola_Fide
09-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I laughed at "fee fi fo frum" lol :)

Bruno
09-29-2011, 09:32 PM
" Mitt Romney delivered universal coverage before universal coverage was cool. That's an achievement to be boasted of, not an embarrassment to be apologized for."

Translation: Romney was for the plan you now hate before you even knew you were going to hate it.

That's a mighty weak position to stand behind.

Billay
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Republicans aren't going to support a guy whos pro choice. Mitt Romney is pro choice.