View Full Version : Woman: I was arrested for sitting outside in chair

libertyjam
09-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Has anyone seen these two stories, I looked and did not see them posted

Woman: I was arrested for sitting outside in chair

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/woman-i-was-arrested-1181947.html

By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A physically disabled Atlanta woman says a police officer threw her to the ground and arrested her when she refused to move from her chair.

Shequita Walker, 40, suffers from severe joint pain and has a limited range of motion. For several years, Walker has enjoyed sitting in a metal chair in the vacant lot next to her apartment complex on Boulevard. Walker says she isn't on the sidewalk or in anyone's way, and has spent many hot afternoons waiting on the ice cream truck to drive by so she can buy a cold treat.

But on April 21, an Atlanta police officer asked her to move when she was in her regular spot, next to three other people. Walker responded by telling Officer Kenneth Thomas she was within her rights to sit outside, and that other Atlanta officers had not had a problem with it.

"She did stand her ground," attorney Dan Grossman told the AJC. "She clearly gave him defiance and some attitude."

Thomas then grabbed Walker's wrist and twisted her arm, causing her to fall to the concrete, unable to get up on her own, Walker said. Another Atlanta officer helped Walker to her feet and to the back of a patrol car. An ambulance was called to transport Walker to Grady Memorial Hospital, where she received treatment for a shoulder injury sustained when she hit the ground, Grossman said.

When she was released from the hospital, Walker then spent the night in jail on a disorderly conduct charge. The case against Walker was later dropped, but her attorney said the matter isn't over.

Special Segment: Felony Eavesdropping

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/special_segments&id=8370540

Paul Meincke

September 27, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This is the story of Louis Frobe, but it's also about others who have run afoul of the Illinois eavesdropping law, one of the most restrictive of its kind in the country. It requires that all parties to a conversation give their consent before you can record legally record it.

Say you take out your smart phone and you start taking pictures of police officers making an arrest. The pictures and video are allowed by law, but you must have permission before you record the audio, even if the officer is on the public way.

"I'm just an ordinary citizen. I was on my way to the movies, and all of a sudden I'm facing a felony and 15 years in prison," Frobe told ABC7.

Frobe calls it the worst experience of his life. He was on his way to a late evening movie on an August night last year when he was stopped for speeding in far north suburban Lindenhurst. He didn't believe he was in a 35-mile-an-hour zone, and he figured if he was going to get ticket he wanted to be able to document his challenge with video evidence, so he got out his flip camera, which he was not very adept at using.

At one point he held it out the window trying to record where he was. When the officer, being recorded on his squad dash cam, walked back to Frobe's car, the officer saw Frobe's camera.

Officer: "That recording? Frobe : "Yes, Yes, I've been... Officer: "Was it recording all of our conversation? Frobe: "Yes. Officer: "Guess what? You were eavesdropping on our conversation. I did not give you permission to do so. Step out of the vehicle."

Louis Frobe was then cuffed and arrested for felony eavesdropping.

"I was terrified. I was absolutely terrified. I was begging him, I said I didn't know about this law. Would you please take the camera - this is no big deal - and smash it. You know I didn't know about the law," Frobe told ABC7.

Frobe spent a night in the Lake County jail and was released on bond the next day. Later the charges against him were dropped, but so angry was Louis Frobe that he decided to file a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the state's eavesdropping law.

More of the stories at the links

Tina
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Good God. This BS has to come to and end. Way too many psycho cops out there. They need better mental screening for police officers, obviously.