PDA

View Full Version : VP talk is foolish, but while we are at it...

09-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Without a doubt, the best VP choice would be Jim DeMint. He is no friend of the establishment, but he would solidify our support amongst the GOP base.

The next best choice would be Ron Johnson, who would help win Wisconsin and again, solidify the GOP support.

One problem with a potential Paul nomination for us is that some Republicans will have a tough time coming along. If you cared about the VP helping the ticket, picking someone like Johnson or Napolitano would be almost suicidal.

But as my title implied, it is rather silly to talk about this now.

rpwasright
09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Heres the thing if he does win the nomination he wont need to solidify his GOP support. Do you know any true republican that would vote for Obama now? Hes biggest fight is the nomination if he gets that the general election is in the bag. So he will pick someone that is like himself, thats why Napalitano makes sense.

R3volutionJedi
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Andrew Napolitano.

Voluntary Man
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Walter Williams

pauladin
09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
in my opinion, VP needs to be:

1) strong constitutionalist.
2) someone that has been outspoken and loyal to ron paul and his ideas.
3) appealing to independents.
4) good insurance in case ron paul gets assassinated (we know it's possible).

ron paul does not compromise his principals. he is not going to choose a veep that has ties to the establishment in the hopes of winning.

oh and demint supports the wars and the patriot act. just throwing that out there.

KingNothing
09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking beyond this election and grasping what Paul said about "changing the course of history" and if you give Paul a VP like The Judge, or Walter Williams you'd be giving him an intellectual who could preach the Good Word. That's something I could get behind.

That said, I'm sure the campaign will weigh its options and if the time comes for this decision to be made, I am positive that they will do the right thing. They've been darn near perfect this entire run and I see no reason to expect things to change any time soon.

jkob
09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Obviously I'd prefer the Judge, Walter Williams, Goldwater Jr but I could live with DeMint as a compromise if need be.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I hate when people try to shut out VP talk.

Umm, this is a forum and most of us probably have nothing better to do. Plus its fun. No harm no foul.

PierzStyx
09-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Gary Johnson would be a preference. No point in compromising the cause. I would just wonder if Johnson could punch Joe in the face hard enough.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
The next best choice would be Ron Johnson, who would help win Wisconsin and again, solidify the GOP support.

Wisconsin has 10 electoral votes. Not seeing the benefit here.

ChrisDiamond
09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
The Judge is an intellectual titan, a strict Constitutionalist, promotes Dr. Paul at every opportunity, believes in sound money, in Austrian economics, is against the wars, against the PATRIOT Act, against the Federal Reserve, against our entangling alliances and arguably the most visible champion of liberty on television. Could you see Biden debating the Judge? Could you see Hillary debating the Judge? Judge Napolitano talks Ron Paul better than Ron Paul does, and, should a tragedy occur, he would be THE person I would personally choose to run the country if it were up to me. Perhaps he would not strengthen GOP support from the base, but is there a better pro-liberty ticket out there than Paul/Napolitano?

Philadelphia76
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Agreed. DeMint is virtually the only VP choice that comes anywhere close to bridging the rather sizable gap between the "Libertarian" wing of the Republican party and "mainstream" Republicans. Sure- he voted for the Iraq War- but a man can change his mind and embrace liberty. I personally "supported" the Iraq War between 2003-06 too. Yet here I am. People change- and DeMint's support of Rand Paul may signify such a change in philosophy... Of course it would be up to Dr. Paul to vet and determine whether DeMint was sincere in his new-found beliefs or not.

Absent DeMint should Dr. Paul secure the nomination we should prepare ourselves for a general election campaign where we enjoy lukewarm to near tepid support from the GOP establishment at best... but that's a problem for another day...

Voluntary Man
09-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Gary Johnson would be a preference. No point in compromising the cause. I would just wonder if Johnson could punch Joe in the face hard enough.

he's athletic enough ... you probably meant it figuratively, though?

JoshS
09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
judge

Voluntary Man
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Hardcore neocons like Bile O'Reilly and Mucus Levin would rather gouge their own eyes out with rusty spoons, and volunteer their services on Obama's re-election campaign than to vote for a principled Constitutionalist and America Firster like Ron Paul.

That said, he'd do better to offer a few (harmless) key cabinet positions to prominent Republicans respected by evangelicals and law-n-order/pro-military types, while making his VP pick someone who is not a turn-off to rank and file Republicans, but who can appeal to Independents, moderate Democrats, and Peacenics.

Walter Williams has been Rush's Friday stand-in, for years, which has a number of benefits toward neutralizing professional party-hack loud-mouths, while accomplishing many other desirable goals of VP selection.

Can't please everyone, but, if you can broaden your appeal without compromising your principles, it doesn't get much better than that.

jason43
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Personally I want Gary Johnson for VP. As a former governor, he adds executive experience to the ticket. He adds (relative) youth to Pauls age. He can articulate liberty principles in a debate setting. I think he understands the severity of the financial crisis...

I like the Judge, but I'd rather have him on the SCOTUS for life.

And if we're just dreaming, I'd pick Doug Casey.

RonPaulFever
09-27-2011, 09:55 PM
This may be a dumb question, but...

Why not Rand?

Rothbardian Girl
09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
This may be a dumb question, but...

Why not Rand?
Rand would be the perfect choice, but people are afraid it would look too much like nepotism if Rand were nominated as VP. Personally I would love to see Paul go with Gary Johnson or someone more in line with his political ideology. I don't know if picking a VP has crossover appeal too much, honestly. I know that's the standard political wisdom, but I just don't really see it, I guess.

jason43
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Picking someone who is ideologically different creates a problem if something bad happens.

Eric21ND
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Paul/Fortuņo 2012

Fortuņo is young, he brings great balance to the ticket and will quash any concerns about Ron Paul's age.

Fortuņo is fresh to the political scene, the media will fawn over a young Hispanic republican and hype the ticket.

Fortuņo has executive experience.

Fortuņo has private sector experience.

Fortuņo is Hispanic which will help Ron Paul win Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado and be competitive in other traditionally democratic states.

Paulistinian
09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I like the fortuno idea... I also like Nikki hailey, rand Paul and the judge... The judge will probably be his vp and will make a great president when Ron steps down in 2016. I just personally believe the judge would be much more effective as the attorney general... There he could dismantle the police state starting with the war on drugs.

RonPaulFever
09-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Da Judge for AG all the way! Put him in a position where he can actually do something.

Paulistinian
09-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Da Judge for AG all the way! Put him in a position where he can actually do something.Yeah that's what I'm talking about... Vice president, as John Adams said, is the most worthless office ever devised by man.

Eric21ND
09-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I like the fortuno idea... I also like Nikki hailey, rand Paul and the judge... The judge will probably be his vp and will make a great president when Ron steps down in 2016. I just personally believe the judge would be much more effective as the attorney general... There he could dismantle the police state starting with the war on drugs.
Exactly the role Judge Napolitano would relish too!

Suzu
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
in my opinion, VP needs to be:

1) strong constitutionalist.
2) someone that has been outspoken and loyal to ron paul and his ideas.
3) appealing to independents.
4) good insurance in case ron paul gets assassinated (we know it's possible).

Richard Mack fits all the above, and he's one helluva speaker, with executive experience. I don't know why I've been the only one so far talking about him as a VP pick.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Paul/Fortuņo 2012

Fortuņo is young, he brings great balance to the ticket and will quash any concerns about Ron Paul's age.

Fortuņo is fresh to the political scene, the media will fawn over a young Hispanic republican and hype the ticket.

Fortuņo has executive experience.

Fortuņo has private sector experience.

Fortuņo is Hispanic which will help Ron Paul win Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado and be competitive in other traditionally democratic states.

I like this

GeorgiaAvenger
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Richard Mack fits all the above, and he's one helluva speaker, with executive experience. I don't know why I've been the only one so far talking about him as a VP pick.

Because most are being realistic. If somebody thinks Ron will pick a Sheriff they aren't thinking straight. Same thing with economists mentioned. And he won't pick Rand either.

Suzu
09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
If somebody thinks Ron will pick a Sheriff they aren't thinking straight. Same thing with economists mentioned. And he won't pick Rand either.

Well then who??

GeorgiaAvenger
09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Well then who??

Whoever it is will almost assuredly be/have been a very conservative or libertarian national Representative, Senator, or Governor. Judge might be the only exception.

It will not be an liberal like Kucinich or Nader. It will not be an economist like Williams or Schiff. It will not be his own son.

Someone like DeMint, Fortuno, or Haley. It has to be someone that solidifies the GOP but doesn't turn away Ron's base.

Jingles
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Honestly, when we get the nomination we don't need someone to "solidify" the Republican base. Mainstream Republicans (of the average population, not the big bucks country club one's) will always just vote R over D. And they gave us McCain last time... That was supposed to entice anyone conservative to vote Republican?

The VP needs to be someone who shares all of Ron Paul's idea/principles/etc... That's all that matters to me (for all the reasons everyone lists). Well, and I really want to see Peter Schiff, Tom Woods, Jack Hunter, Walter Block, Lew Rockwell, The Judge, Gary Johnson, Michael Scheuer, Doug Wead, Pat Buchanan Robert Murphy, Walter Williams, Bruce Fein and etc... involved in his administration/cabinet. My god, imagine such an administration... It would be a miraculous thing to behold.

Eric21ND
09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Well then who??
Preferably a Governor or maybe Jim Demint.

The number of viable VP choices that would help Ron win, while simultaneous energizing the GOP base and not turning off his hardcore supporters, is actually a very short list.

Eric21ND
09-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Honestly, when we get the nomination we don't need someone to "solidify" the Republican base. Mainstream Republicans (of the average population, not the big bucks country club one's) will always just vote R over D. And they gave us McCain last time... That was supposed to entice anyone conservative to vote Republican?

The VP needs to be someone who shares all of Ron Paul's idea/principles/etc... That's all that matters to me (for all the reasons everyone lists). Well, and I really want to see Peter Schiff, Tom Woods, Jack Hunter, Walter Block, Lew Rockwell, The Judge, Gary Johnson, Michael Scheuer, Doug Wead, Pat Buchanan Robert Murphy, Walter Williams, Bruce Fein and etc... involved in his administration/cabinet. My god, imagine such an administration... It would be a miraculous thing to behold.
Yes we do actually. Ron loses about 30% of the republican base. We need need to to win back 5-10% of those lost republicans and then it becomes a landslide victory for Ron against Obama. This is what I envision playing out electorally.

**Tan states are where I believe Paul could be competitive and pull off a surprising win.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Eric21ND/PaulvsObama2.png

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Bumping because my electoral map is coming closer to a reality every day :)

Canderson
11-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you really think he could win Florida easily?

11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I think Rand. Nobody has ever tried a father/son run at the white house afaik. Face it, in these races a little novelty doesn't hurt. I don't think it hurts Rand politically either.

11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Bumping because my electoral map is coming closer to a reality every day :)

Eric, I had missed your map on this thread the first time, I forgot it was my thread until just now. :)

I really think your observation of us having to regain part of the base is spot on. THAT is why we need someone who is a little more mainstream of a Republican, someone who is recognizable. Doesn't have to be McCain for goodness' sakes. But someone like Jim DeMint, congressman Tom McClintock, hell, what about Luis Fortuņo (governor of Puerto Rico, kind of a consequentialist libertarian a la Johnson, see his excellent Reason.TV interview)?

NeoconTea
11-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Either Johnson or Fortuno maybe. We need someone who is relatively young who has had executive experience.

The republican base is going to vote republican no matter what, and once they realize that Paul (and Johnson) are ultra conservative with their money, I think they'll be able to pull it off.

GeorgiaAvenger
11-17-2011, 09:18 PM
DeMint or Fortuno

No Free Beer
11-17-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?331021-Paul-Huntsman-ticket

NeoconTea
11-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I almost forgot that Fortuno totally looks like Millhouse.

Canderson
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I think this is a more realistic map of a potential general. Giving Florida and Ohio to Paul is a bit of wishful thinking.
http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=dDV

MJU1983
11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcExoF_qTo

Gov. Luis Fortuņo - Cutting Government Spending -AND- Cutting Taxes WORKS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcExoF_qTo)

wowrevolution
11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I personally like Rand but I also believe we should be looking at military Generals with an emphasis perhaps with Space Command

Eric21ND
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Do you really think he could win Florida easily?
With a young Hispanic VP, yes.

trey4sports
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Ken Cucinelli.

bluesc
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Ken Cucinelli.

Ron already endorsed him once, so he's definitely a possibility.

cdc482
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Without a doubt, the best VP choice would be Jim DeMint. He is no friend of the establishment, but he would solidify our support amongst the GOP base.

One problem with a potential Paul nomination for us is that some Republicans will have a tough time coming along. If you cared about the VP helping the ticket, picking someone like Johnson or Napolitano would be almost suicidal.

But as my title implied, it is rather silly to talk about this now.

I agree with everyone else. There's no need to compromise on VP selection. If RP wins the nomination, he will win the general election.
Secondly, RP isn't the kind of guy to compromise on his VP choice anyway.

cdc482
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Eric, I had missed your map on this thread the first time, I forgot it was my thread until just now. :)

I really think your observation of us having to regain part of the base is spot on. THAT is why we need someone who is a little more mainstream of a Republican, someone who is recognizable. Doesn't have to be McCain for goodness' sakes. But someone like Jim DeMint, congressman Tom McClintock, hell, what about Luis Fortuņo (governor of Puerto Rico, kind of a consequentialist libertarian a la Johnson, see his excellent Reason.TV interview)?

I don't like Rand. His foreign policy needs a lot of work, and he is for Gitmo.

tsetsefly
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
+1

bluesc
12-04-2011, 11:49 AM
+1

Johnson would be a compromise. He is pro-Israel, pro-intervention, wants to keep the fed to "maintain price stability". He goes against pretty much everything Ron stands for.

cdc482
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Johnson would be a compromise. He is pro-Israel, pro-intervention, wants to keep the fed to "maintain price stability". He goes against pretty much everything Ron stands for.
Whoa! Johnson is pro-Fed and pro-Israel!? Show me your proof!
And Johnson isn't for intervention, he's for humanitarian interventions, which is hugely different in practice.

trey4sports
12-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with everyone else. There's no need to compromise on VP selection. If RP wins the nomination, he will win the general election.
Secondly, RP isn't the kind of guy to compromise on his VP choice anyway.

i really cant stand how some people are so cocky as to think ron will just run roughshod in the general. It will be an uphill battle in the general, probably even more so than the primary. Obama has a massive warchest and Ron's views take a while to digest. things like the CRA, and the drug war will effectively turn conventional voting demographics on their heads.

JohnGalt23g
12-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Janice Rogers-Brown.

trey4sports
12-04-2011, 12:01 PM
And Johnson isn't for intervention, he's for humanitarian interventions, which is hugely different in practicality.

he's not pro fed either. His main concern is balancing the budget, not ending the FED. I asked him about the FED and he said he would sign legislating abolitioning the FED if Congress presented it to him, but it's not his main concern.

Carehn
12-04-2011, 12:02 PM
If he picks an establishment guy to try and pull the people together like reagan did, then like reagan he will get shot. He has to pick someone as VP who will make and assassination of no use.

Call me crazy but I would bet all my cash that the bush family or someone connected to them tried to kill reagan and thats why he began to compromise. We need someone just like Ron as VP so as to protect him from assassination.

bluesc
12-04-2011, 12:02 PM
And Johnson isn't for intervention, he's for humanitarian interventions, which is hugely different in practicality.

Praised Israel as "America's closest ally"

Pro-fed:

Restrict Federal Reserve policy to maintaining price stability, not bailing out financial firms or propping up the housing sector.

"Humanitarian" wars are completely backwards. There is no such thing as a "humanitarian" war. There just isn't.

LawnWake
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Really, foreign policy and incapable of being bought are my main concerns. I dig Tom Woods and the Judge a lot myself.

Secondly... this is Ron Paul. If he were to get the nomination, would we really care about 'bridging the gap'? Seems kinda pointless because a lot of people would be making a jump anyway. The GOP is in ABO mode, we'll get a lot of Dems and indies on board too and what's left of the anti-war vote.

The problem is that Iraq was sold, in part, as humanitarian interventionism. Later Afghanistan too. If you give the government the approval to do 'humantiarian interventionism', they'll do all of their interventionism under that guise. You don't want a gray area like that.

Ashhhhh
12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Peter Schiff all the way

cdc482
12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Praised Israel as "America's closest ally"

Pro-fed:

"Humanitarian" wars are completely backwards. There is no such thing as a "humanitarian" war. There just isn't.
Humanitarian INTERVENTION. Not war. I agree with lawnwake, that it can be missused, and we've seen it as an excuse under Bush and Obama. But we can all agree Johnson wouldn't abuse it. So he's not as good as RP on the Fed and the wars. He's still got A- answers on both IMO.

EDIT: But the Israel thing is really weird.

bluesc
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Humanitarian INTERVENTION. Not war. I agree with lawnwake, that it can be missused, and we've seen it as an excuse under Bush and Obama. But we can all agree Johnson wouldn't abuse it. So he's not as good as RP on the Fed and the wars. He's still got A- answers on both IMO.

EDIT: But the Israel thing is really weird.

"Humanitarian" intervention is "humanitarian" war. Call it what you want. It's using American lives to kill people in the name of saving people. The US has no role in doing that unless they pose a threat. Ron has specifically said his VP pick would have to agree with him on foreign policy, and, if I remember correctly, they have to agree on the federal reserve too. Johnson can be counted out on both points.

Eric21ND
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Johnson couldn't even win us New Mexico. A VP is supposed to shore up qualities or constituencies that the top part of the ticket doesn't have.

cdc482
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Fine. Don't pick Johnson...
I'd be okay with Nader though. Just saying.

Carehn
12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
He won't pick Johnson because of his stance on abortion would be my guess. Though I would not mind a Johnson VP, I don't think its going to happen.

Carehn
12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I think he should pick me for VP. I agree with every position I hold.

Eric21ND
12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
We need a governor with executive experience.

matt0611
12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
We need a governor with executive experience.

Agreed. Who's the best republican governor or former republican governor?
Haley? Johnson? The governor of puerto rico?