PDA

View Full Version : Should I Drop Out Of High School?

FortisKID
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I honestly feel like I'm wasting my time. I'm currently a Senior, and I'm old enough to drop out without parental permission. If I dropped out, I could get a GED and start looking for work rather than waste 8 hours each day getting a public education and learning nothing. However, I graduate in May so should I just finish up the rest of the year?

My parents don't believe in the collapse so I'm not prepared in any way for what might happen. I have no guns, and no food stored in my house. If the economy collapses within the next 12 months I won't be ready.

erowe1
09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Definitely stick it out. A GED is not the same as a diploma.

High school may be stupid. But dropping out isn't worth the consequences for most people. The 6 months you have left may look like a long time from where you're sitting not. But it isn't a long time at all, and in a few years you'll see that it was nothing.

ZanZibar
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't be asinine. Education is a credentialing service. In many cases, the more credentials you have, the more valuable you are. That's why college is important too. If you go to college you'll be able to tell people that institution x thinks you are a qualified individual. When people are hiring and don't know you personally that objective credential often signals to them that you are qualified.

MelissaWV
09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I am not someone who has great faith in our school system, so don't think I am preaching about the value of an education.

You are already a senior and it's already pretty much October. Soon it will be Thanksgiving, then Christmas break, then a hop and jump to spring break, and finally graduation. The difference between a GED and a diploma is starting to become more important. It seems to me that you have already invested a very long chunk of your life into school, so you might as well graduate and get the paper for it. You'd also make yourself eligible for various scholarships that way, and before you tell me you don't want to go to college you might consider taking some classes to help you with your second concern. (To clarify: I'm not endorsing college, but if you get free classes, you can take advantage and learn a few things without bothering with a degree.)

There are good vocational schools around, and there are also classes that provide a basic education in electronics and geology and even marksmanship; it's just a matter of looking.

The short answer to the core question is that I don't think it's worthwile to drop out after all this time.

Wesker1982
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I say finish only because you are so close. I dropped out right after 8th grade lol.

Son of Detroit
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Depends what your plans for the future are. What kinds of careers can you see yourself doing? Are they careers that wouldn't require a college degree?

In the end, only you can decide what's best for yourself. Honestly, I wouldn't listen to anyone on here, including myself. Too many agendas and egos on here that could just try to lead you into their beliefs.

Maybe dropping out is the best option for you, who knows. Everyone is different. For myself, continuing my education at a University is my best option, something I am pursuing now. Again, only you should decide on such an important decision in your life, not a bunch of people on some forum on the internet.

For what it's worth, I say don't drop out and stick it out. IMO you'll thank yourself later.

KCIndy
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
FortisKID, I would strongly encourage you to stick it out and get your diploma. I have yet to meet anyone who dropped out of high school who didn't regret it - bitterly. Like erowe1 said, a GED is definitely not the same thing as a diploma, no matter what "they" might be telling you.

Stick it out. Graduate - and then, if you want to do the self-introspection thing, take some time to wander, backpack Europe, join the Marines, whatever... but get that lil' old piece of paper first! I can guarantee you won't regret it.

Schiff_FTW
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Stick it out. Believe me it will be over before you know it. Don't waste your time/money on the college scam though unless you want to go into a specialized field (like engineering).

amyre
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Good for you for thinking for yourself and questioning what you've been told by the system all these years. However, you are just around the corner. Stick it out, make the best of those 8 hours, and make whatever preparations you feel you need to make after school. Seriously, don't quit now.

donnay
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
You stuck with it this long--take it all the way to the end. Just make sure that you educate yourself when you get out, and I do not mean jumping to college. I learned more on my own then I ever learned in public school and college. ;)

Jeremy
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Definitely not. And you're a senior... not much more to go...

oyarde
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Finish , but look into what options there are . Near where I live , there is a Christian Academy that lets you pay $150 and test out for a diploma from that High School , that same town , has a program where you can take classes on line for the most part to finish at the local HS.

Son of Detroit
09-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Just make sure that you education yourself. I learned more on my own then I ever learned in public school and college. ;)

Looks like grammar wasn't part of what you taught yourself. Kidding, of course. ;)

wannaberocker
09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Stick it out man. Its your last year.

erowe1
09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Also, take a look at what classes you can take in the school system you're in now. Assuming you only have maybe 1 or 2 required classes left, the rest can be electives, and there might be some really cool practical skills classes in there that you have the opportunity to take for free. I hit myself when I think back at all the cool shop classes my high school had that I never even bothered to look into.

MelissaWV
09-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Also, take a look at what classes you can take in the school system you're in now. Assuming you only have maybe 1 or 2 required classes left, the rest can be electives, and there might be some really cool practical skills classes in there that you have the opportunity to take for free. I hit myself when I think back at all the cool shop classes my high school had that I never even bothered to look into.

My HS allowed you to do "work experience" as well, which meant I spent the latter half of every day at a real job. I didn't suggest this, though, because they don't usually switch you into this a month into the school year.

TexMac
09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I honestly feel like I'm wasting my time. I'm currently a Senior, and I'm old enough to drop out without parental permission. If I dropped out, I could get a GED and start looking for work rather than waste 8 hours each day getting a public education and learning nothing. However, I graduate in May so should I just finish up the rest of the year?

My parents don't believe in the collapse so I'm not prepared in any way for what might happen. I have no guns, and no food stored in my house. If the economy collapses within the next 12 months I won't be ready.

What is it you want to do? My son dropped out, got his GED and went to culinary school. Now he's a chef. I don't see it as a bad thing as long as you don't drop out and do nothing.

dannno
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree with others, so close might as well finish. I might make an exception if you had something specific planned that is a good long-term prospect.. but getting a BS job when you could be getting a real diploma in a few months doesn't seem like the best idea.

Does your school offer a Work Experience class? My school had a Work Experience class that was at the end of the day. The first few classes they taught us stuff about working, worker rights, W2 forms and such. Then after that they let you leave school early so you could go to work if you were scheduled (otherwise you just got the time off school).

Edit: oops Melissa just mentioned all this work experience stuff too.

Seraphim
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Stick it out because you are so close.

With that being said...be EXTREMELY careful about college unless you are damn sure you are passionate about what you are going into and are dilligent in aquiring the funds.

Things seem bad right now, but the entrepeneurs and smart money of this world are likely to have a good decade. Don't saddle yourself with massive debt just because people are telling you that a college degree is necessary.

Voluntary Man
09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
a dissenting view?

m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3D8ogCc8ObiwQ&v=8ogCc8ObiwQ&gl=US

www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

www.johntaylorgatto.com/multimedia/paradox.mp3

ronpaulfollower999
09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Stick it out and spread Ron Paul to your fellow classmates and teachers. I graduated in May...it's worth it just since you can tell employers you have a high school diploma. Stupid I know since you will find a lot of idiots in your class that graduate, but it does look good on your resume. Depending on your career choice perhaps you can attend a trade school instead of regular college?

donnay
09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Looks like grammar wasn't part of what you taught yourself. Kidding, of course. ;)

LOL! No proof reading has always been a downfall. :)

But thanks, now I will go back and correct it. ;)

Anti Federalist
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
What is it you want to do? My son dropped out, got his GED and went to culinary school. Now he's a chef. I don't see it as a bad thing as long as you don't drop out and do nothing.

That ^^^

If you have a plan, then do it.

I did, in my junior year, grabbed a GED on the way out the door, and never looked back.

And in thirty years of working for a living I have never once had anybody ask to see it or ask for a copy.

And I'm in the top quintile of income earners.

That used to be not such a difficult thing to do, make a decent middle class income, without going into a quarter of a million dollars of "education" debt, which is why you need a plan, a trade that you are willing to perfect and stick at.

If you think you're going to get rich being the next google or facebook founder, forget it, you might as well just play the lottery.

But if you want to work for a living it can still be done. Plumbing, fixing cars, cooking, driving a truck may not be very glamorous, but it will still put bread on the table.

25Aggie
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
If you're not involved in a bunch of extracurricular activities why not do school AND get a job. I think something that helped me quite a bit in life was working while in high school. You're young; I'm assuming school isn't all that hard? It's good to get into the "real world" as early as you can so you can learn both what works and what doesn't. I like the way you're thinking but you're so close you might as well finish.

libertybrewcity
09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Finish it out. Statistically speaking, those who have high school diplomas make more money than those without. Those with college degrees make more money than those without.

I would think about what you want to do. Nowadays EVERYONE has a college degree so it is almost expected everywhere you look for a job. Even some places that you would never think would require a degree do require one.

If you think you have the skills and motivation to move up in the workforce and defend yourself against those who think you should have one, then do it. You can always take night classes a community college for a cheap price and still work. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe you will start taking some classes and find out that you would really interests you. You could also consider the 2 year degrees for mechanics, electricians, plumbers, handy work stuff. They are in demand and you could make BANK if you open up a shop.

jmdrake
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM

To the OP. Hell no! Don't drop out! Let's say if the economy doesn't collapse in 12 months. Then what? You're personal economy will be worse off because you will be less marketable with a GED than with an HS diploma. You're worried cause your parents aren't stocking up food? Then get a part time job and spend all your extra money buying storable food and other survival gear. If you were my kid and you dropped out of school you'd have to find and apartment too because you wouldn't be living at home. Think about what that would do to your "storable food" budget?

Here's my best advice if you're really worried about a total meltdown of the economy. Start learning about edible wild plants, how to fish, hunt and stuff like that. Your dad might even be willing to take you fishing if he knows how. (I assume he doesn't hunt since you said you don't own guns). Learn how to make a crossbow and other improvised weapons. (YouTube is your friend). Find other people where you live who can teach you stuff. (You live in Ann Arbor Michigan? There are militia types up there).

Goodness, I saw people panicking and freaking out over Y2K and that turned out to be a bust. This time could be different, or it could be a bust as well. Be prepared, but don't panic. And it sounds to me like you're panicking.

emazur
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
As much as I hated high school, since you're so close to finishing, at this point I'd say just half ass everything and do the absolute bare minimum to pass your classes (hell, everyone has senioritus anyway so it's not like you'll stick out so much). For next semester, you might not even have to take a full load of credits to graduate. I left half a day early every other day in my case. Also there are work/study type programs you might have the option of doing, and also you might be able to take community college courses instead of high school courses (not that I recommend college either).

Also, if you're 18, see if you can sign yourself out of school legally before the school day ends w/o repercussions

Revolution0918
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard.......YES we all know gov schools are worthless, but you have an invaluable experience and ability to be in contact with a rising generation this year, and into college if you can afford it. Debating with professors in front of large classes and being able to defend your positions rationally in front of your cohorts DOES change minds. Our generations LOVE sticking it to the man, and when someone can articulate our beliefs to someone who is regarded as a "smart person" i.e. a college professor, you effect others minds. Going and running to a hillside alone to defend yourself is NOT the way to win this battle, changing minds like Dr. Paul does is the only way

Todd
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't drop out.

I always equated dropping out your senior year with someone who decides to go from Virginia to California, gets to Las Vegas and then goes back home.

amy31416
09-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Stick it out. Raise (intellectual) hell while you're there, educate those teachers and fellow students, be absurd. Even if you get out with average grades, don't be average.

Since it seems that you don't give a crap what they think of you, may as well use it as a platform to question and rip into the system. If a teacher assigns you to do something ridiculous, come up with a better assignment that you'll actually learn something doing, and present that. Your teachers will either love you or hate you--make it fun.

Agorism
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Stick it out.

My outlook on life is that people have to sprint a bit from years 18-30 to get to where they want to get to because after that people begin to run out of energy. People in their early 20's don't realize that the clock is ticking and sometimes waste too much time.

Kludge
09-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Ask your guidance counselor (or class scheduler -- whatever they call them) for AP courses (online or in-class). They can be very engaging, and in small schools, online courses have the incredible advantage of covering many different subjects. Some high schools even pay for you to take the AP exam, which counts as college credit in a great many colleges & universities.

If your school doesn't require attendance for credit and instead relies on GPA, you could just skip the boring days (edit: or just classes if you can drive. I'd regularly come in just for a couple classes, then go home) and re-take tests (however, one of my teachers decided to start assigning "daily points" to the grade, literally giving credit just for showing up). In your senior year, you're probably taking a lot of useless classes now that schools are no longer allowed to let you leave school early if you aren't taking more classes than you need to graduate, so you could even simply stop doing work in some of the classes, freeing up even more of your time. When I was your age, I was using that time to start up an e-commerce site for wristbands which I learned a LOT from.

Bruno
09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
On the average, drop-outs earn $900,000 less over their lifetime than their peers with a high school diploma. Your results may vary (or not), but at least give yourself the chance.

Stick it out!

Michael Landon
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I can already see some newspaper doing an article about how Ron Paul supporters are advocating dropping out of high school. They'll quote the two or three people on here who dropped out and make it look like it was 100% of Paul's base that supports dropping out.

- ML

brushfire
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Dont be a foo, stay in schoo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT830mo8Mc

AFPVet
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Get your high school education man. The GED is often times more difficult to get and it is not the same thing as a diploma... it is simply an equivalent education. If you don't want to go to college, don't worry about it... you may end up losing more money in the long run, wasting time, and not getting the job you want anyways. For others, college is necessary... it all depends. Regardless... get your high school education man!

Rael
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Have your parents withdraw you and put you in homeschool, then immediately graduate you. Where I live the parents homeschooling just draw up a diploma and transcript for college.

Agorism
09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Have your parents withdraw you and put you in homeschool, then immediately graduate you. Where I live the parents homeschooling just draw up a diploma and transcript for college.

So you can just give yourself a 4.0? Just asking I have no idea how it works.

Rael
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM
So you can just give yourself a 4.0? Just asking I have no idea how it works.

I was homeschooled, and the way it we did it so the college would accept it was to list all the courses and the letter grades, with mostly A's but with a few B's and C's to make it look more realistic.

DamianTV
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Do not let School stand in the way of your Education. Just get Educated.

Bodhi
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Keep going and enjoy your senior year as much as you can. As said before, a GED is not the same as a diploma, you are so close to finishing it would be a shame to see you drop out now.

gerryb
09-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I got my GED around the same time. It was a great decision, I wish I had done it Freshman year, it would have helped my career(technology) a lot had I done that, since I would have gotten in before it collapsed in 2001, which was the year I got my GED and went to a vocational school for computer networking/technology.

An alternative is, your high school may allow you to take college credited courses and graduate with a regular diploma. For furthering your "credentialed education", you can look into CLEP and DANTES testing. You can "test out" of a college degree if you are good at self study and test taking, for as little as $5,000 for a Bachelors.

Google CLEP, DANTES, etc.
http://www.collegeplus.org/

gerryb
09-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Keep going and enjoy your senior year as much as you can. As said before, a GED is not the same as a diploma, you are so close to finishing it would be a shame to see you drop out now.

I LOL @ this notion.

StilesBC
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Think of yourself as an investor. You're investing your time in exchange for receiving something. At first, you were told that you would receive an education, something you know you're not getting. Now, the best you can hope for is a piece of paper that says you have an education. While that might not seem very valuable now, it could be in the future. Virtually nobody knows what their life will be like at the age of 30. Most vastly misjudge what type of occupation they will want later in life. I did. I was going to be a cop, then a journalist, then in the military. I did none of those. I ended up as a tennis coach and now a small business owner/entrepreneur.

Back to investing. You have made a 12 year investment of your time. You know this has been a malinvestment and will not be worth the price paid. That's fine. But any good investor would still finish the project and try to recoup as much of the cost as possible thereafter. Just abandoning the investment right prior to completion is probably the best way to lose the most.

Stick it out. Minimize your losses. Move on to the next investment and learn from the prior mistake.

emazur
09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
And this can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view, but the military doesn't like people with GED's:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?273721-Why-does-the-army-discriminate-against-citizens-with-a-GED

Agorism
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Ivy league schools accept any home schoolers. Just asking.

emazur
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
I wonder if Ivy league schools accept any home schoolers. Just asking.

Wayne Allyn Root homeschooled his daughter and she is attending Harvard:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl2/homeschool-to-harvard.html

Was all the discipline and sacrifice worth it? A few days ago, Dakota Root achieved her lifelong dream. She was accepted at both Harvard and Stanford. She was also accepted at Columbia, Penn, Brown, Duke, Chicago, Cal-Berkeley, USC and several more of the elite schools in America, an unheard of record for a home-school kid. She actually had the confidence to turn down an offer from the Yale fencing coach before she had gotten her other acceptances. The kid turned down Yale!

GeorgiaAvenger
09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
A senior and you want to drop out? What a waste! Good grief put some sense in your head boy!

I once heard of this boy that dropped out the last week of school just to be cool. Might have been funny for 5 minutes, and that was it.

Working Poor
09-27-2011, 06:28 PM
No do not quit.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-27-2011, 06:29 PM
That ^^^

If you have a plan, then do it.

I did, in my junior year, grabbed a GED on the way out the door, and never looked back.

And in thirty years of working for a living I have never once had anybody ask to see it or ask for a copy.

And I'm in the top quintile of income earners.

That used to be not such a difficult thing to do, make a decent middle class income, without going into a quarter of a million dollars of "education" debt, which is why you need a plan, a trade that you are willing to perfect and stick at.

If you think you're going to get rich being the next google or facebook founder, forget it, you might as well just play the lottery.

But if you want to work for a living it can still be done. Plumbing, fixing cars, cooking, driving a truck may not be very glamorous, but it will still put bread on the table.

Guy, don't read this and get encouraged by somebody'a miracle. Just look at all of those kids in inner cities that don't graduate and stay in poverty their whole lives!

dannno
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Think of yourself as an investor. You're investing your time in exchange for receiving something. At first, you were told that you would receive an education, something you know you're not getting. Now, the best you can hope for is a piece of paper that says you have an education. While that might not seem very valuable now, it could be in the future. Virtually nobody knows what their life will be like at the age of 30. Most vastly misjudge what type of occupation they will want later in life. I did. I was going to be a cop, then a journalist, then in the military. I did none of those. I ended up as a tennis coach and now a small business owner/entrepreneur.

Back to investing. You have made a 12 year investment of your time. You know this has been a malinvestment and will not be worth the price paid. That's fine. But any good investor would still finish the project and try to recoup as much of the cost as possible thereafter. Just abandoning the investment right prior to completion is probably the best way to lose the most.

Stick it out. Minimize your losses. Move on to the next investment and learn from the prior mistake.

Excellent analogy

LibForestPaul
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't be asinine. Education is a credentialing service. In many cases, the more credentials you have, the more valuable you are. That's why college is important too. If you go to college you'll be able to tell people that institution x thinks you are a qualified individual. When people are hiring and don't know you personally that objective credential often signals to them that you are qualified.
Tell that to all the newly minted law school grads.

Srsly, its free, stick it out. But college, since your $$$, is another story. Maybe an Assoc degree from Comm coll. Pretty much free as well. Take english, publ speaking, some bookkeeping/accounting, and anything else that seems fun or interesting (violin, acting). After that, good luck!!!

PaulConventionWV
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Do it! My political science degree helped me get a job at Burger King! :D

osan
09-27-2011, 06:40 PM

You are a SENIOR and considering dropping out? Are you smoking dope? Drinking?

Look, you may be wasting your time, but the diploma will allow you access to things that will not be available to you without it. Should things be like that? No. But they are.

I had a friend, Bill Rishevitz, Freehold NJ ca. 1975. He quit THREE MONTHS before graduating. We saw less and less of Bill very shortly thereafter. I do not even want to think of what his life turned into.

Stick it out. Don't be an imbecile. I promise that you will not regret it.

The only exception to this is if you have a very definite alternative of a superiority of such rarity that chances are almost less than zero that you actually have it. Even so, you are probably better off staying. I do not think you will regret staying the course.

PS: this is an invaluable exercise in finishing something you have started. Be a man and not a child. Finish it.

libertybrewcity
09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I would say get your degree in college so you have something to fall back on. Even if you don't use it you'll never know when you might need a second career option.

CaseyJones
09-27-2011, 07:46 PM
finish high school and if you go to college pick a degree that requires math

gerryb
09-27-2011, 07:50 PM
What a bunch of statists up in here! =P

Do you folks seriously believe a high school diploma is worth anything? I would have graduated in 2001. I've never been asked to see a GED/high school diploma before.

Aden
09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Just to clarify a few misunderstandings I've seen in this thread. You do not need to graduate high school to go to college. Any community college will accept you with a GED and a mediocre score on their silly reading/grammar/math test. The goal of EVERY person wanting to go to a four-year should be to knock out two years at a community college. This will save you tons of money. Some states, like where I go to school (VA), even mandate that four-years have to accept graduates from a community college. So if you do want to waste your life and money at college, don't let the fear tactics of, "you have to graduate to go to college," scare you.

Do whatever you want. I will say this, though, since you are wasting eight hours of your day at school, make the rest as productive as possible. Don't spend the next year hanging out with friends and playing. Get a part-time job so you can make some money and learn some skills. Even if you only work at McDonalds, you get to keep 100% of it because your parents are paying for rent and food. Do not waste this opportunity. You will not regret it.

[edit] For the record, I got a GED and had no problem getting into community college or Virginia Tech (which accepted 1 out of 4 applicants the year I applied).

dejavu22
09-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Honestly i had a lot of the same feelings when i was in school but i went the other way. I intentionally challenged the teacher whenever possible. It pissed off a lot of the other students but i enjoyed it. In my economics class i would argue for supply side economics and in classes like history i would challenge the teacher on pretty much every "fact" the lefty spouted.

Honestly i found that it made me better at solidifying my arguments because i was approaching the conversation from the starting point that the teacher was the "expert" and i had to prove them wrong to get past their position of authority. Ultimately i think i affected many members of my class for the better but there is no way i can know that for sure.

So you could always just have fun with it maybe teach a few people yourself.

roho76
09-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Check the homeschool laws were you live and just go that route. If your old enough to contemplate dropping out your old enough and most likely the perfect candidate to homeschool.

Pauls' Revere
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
stay in...

GreenBulldog
09-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Unless there's a way to expedite the process of getting a degree, stay in.

Does it matter what HS you graduate from? For that matter, does it matter what college you graduate from? Do you think employers will care?

Well, it depends. It depends on what you want to do.

If you're worried about the economic collapse, find a way to get your degree quickly as possible and teach English oversees.

Again, the question is, what do you want to do? The answer varies depending on that.

Lymeade-Lady
09-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes, stick it out. But maybe you could switch to a vocational track to get an early release to go work? Or sometimes they will let seniors leave early if they don't need all the credits. You could talk to your counselor and tell her you feel discouraged and want to drop out so you can start working and maybe she could help you out--schools work hard to prevent dropouts (the dropout rate is a big deal for ranking, etc--so they may surprise you with what they will do.) Sometimes they have programs that let you work at your own pace to finish your work by computer and testing, and you can finish quicker if you work hard. Other options are taking community college or technical college courses for dual credit. You can get some great jobs with a 2 year degree and you could easily finish a semester's worth of work this year. Or you could look at a program like College Plus where you get credit by testing out of college courses-- alot of people get a 4 yr degree in only 2 years that way--and you can start even before you graduate high school. Or learn a useful, practical skill in your free time or even in a class. Could you take a class on how to repair cars? Something that you can barter with in hard times. We don't have a lot put away, but I do buy grain and make my own bread--so I can make that even if the store is empty. What could you teach yourself to do?

Edited to add: The kid I know in recent years who dropped out now works at the recycling center sorting garbage--so really make a plan before you jump ship.

Simple
09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I'd say sign up for a GIS class or AP classes while you can get them for free. Its cost vs benefit to me and it looks like the only cost is your time. If you find work and settle for a GED so you can work that's perfectly logical, but skipping a free education because you're not feeling it doesn't make sense.

Professor8000
09-27-2011, 11:01 PM

The best thing I ever did for myself was to leave public school. If you choose to do that then you need to continue your education on your own. Look at the homeschooling laws in your state and see what your options are. In Texas a diploma from a Homeschool is required by law to be treated as the same as a public school diploma. Know all of your options before you make a decision on this. When you make a decision, make the one that feels right.

kuckfeynes
09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
School boring? Turn the tables. Read Mises. Educate your teachers. Boom, now it's interesting.

Professor8000
09-27-2011, 11:36 PM

Without getting away from the mindset of the sheeple you won't be able to ask the right questions, let alone find the answers. The answers I've found are varying and solve only the basic problems. Here are the basics of what you would need to start over from what I've learned.

At least: 1 hunting quality rifle and reloading equipment, aeroponics supplies, solar panels and deep cycle batteries, plans and equipment to make your own wind mill generator if you can't find one cheep enough, medical supplies, 12 month supply of food, undeveloped land away from population centers, travel trailer, 4x4 pickup truck(diesel if you can afford it), utility trailer, supplies to build storage structures, most importantly a network of people you can rely on. These are the cheap basics...

In that list I have a pickup truck and people, and I've been working with this information for a year. Most of that stuff is pretty handy for anyone to have, it allows you to be very self reliant and can cut the cost of living by a lot.

If anyone sees anything I missed for that list feel free to add to it.

cubical
09-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Finish and go to vocational school. You will get a decent job and will always have work.

GreenBulldog
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
School boring? Turn the tables. Read Mises. Educate your teachers. Boom, now it's interesting.

There you go.

There was a parent of a 10th grader who gave a presentation on the REAL story on Iran to his class. I don't know where the thread is, but it was a recent one.

There are lots of non-statist, interesting topics on this forum alone. How about educating them on the economic collapse?

Tinnuhana
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I've only read two pages of responses, so sorry if this is redundant.
When I was in HS, there was this guy that came the last two weeks of school, took all the finals, then left. He had picked up the text books at the beginning of the year and spent the year studying as he rode his bicycle cross country. Maybe your school can be talked into a similar option, esp. if you've proven yourself academically capable.
I had a friend with a daughter in 9th grade. The girl was into the goth look, so teachers decided she was not eligible for the gifted program. She went with her accumulated scores to a community college, was almost immediately accepted, and went from there. The day after acceptance, she bought a college jacket, went back to the junior high, and personally dropped her books off with each teacher, telling them she was going to college and "So long; and thanks for all the fish."
So look at yourself and decide what you think would fit your academic/career choices the best.

Professor8000
09-28-2011, 08:50 AM
bump

brandon
09-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority here. I would definitely say drop out if that's what you want to do. I'm a big proponent of dropping out - but I realize it isn't in everyone's best interest.

I dropped out in my senior year and got the GED. Later on I ended up going to college for engineering and I'm doing just fine now and making more money than most my friends. I think dropping out was one of my better decisions and something that gives me great pride. I said "Fuck 'em" and became a self made man.

I think you need to be a self directed person interested in learning to make dropping out a good decision. If this sounds like you, go for it. Dropping out of highschool is really your best escape point from the system they designed for you. Take control now and taste a bit of real freedom.

leonster
09-28-2011, 09:30 AM
A lot of the classes may be rather BS and time-wastey (a lot depends on your classes and teachers), but hey, you don't have to put all that much effort in. Take the year, relax, enjoy being free of commitments.

If it helps, think of it like this: Don't stay because the system wants you to. Stay purely for selfish reasons, because in the long run it will help YOU. If you have to, put in the minimum effort to avoid failing, and play the system--no effort, but it'll still benefit you.

WilliamC
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
If you are already independent and making your own way and enjoy working and are mentally and physically willing to work insane hours and actually have a clue as to how to manage your money, then yea, dropping out of high school could be the best thing you could do.

You're young, beginning the prime of your life, and there is no reason to hold yourself back if that is what high school is doing.

Once you've make your fortune, or at least enough money to support yourself, there's the rest of your life to get educated.

BUT, if you aren't all of the above things and are dropping out 'cause it's easier just chillin' and hangin' with the losers, then hell no.

brandon
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
BUT, if you aren't all of the above things and are dropping out 'cause it's easier just chillin' and hangin' with the losers, then hell no.

This is what I did after dropping out and I don't regret it. I spent a good couple years on weed women and boos until I started to grow up. It was really a great experience. Sometimes that is what it takes to find your way.

erowe1
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
This is what I did after dropping out and I don't regret it. I spent a good couple years on weed women and boos until I started to grow up. It was really a great experience. Sometimes that is what it takes to find your way.

I've seen people do that who definitely regretted it big time.

Do you really think you would have been worse off if during those two years of weed, women, and boose, you had just coasted through high school while you were doing those things, and then when the time came that you found your way, you'd at least have a diploma just in case?

I mean, it's one thing to say not to get one when you know you won't need it. It's another thing to say not to get one when you have nothing better to do.

brandon
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I've seen people do that who definitely regretted it big time.

Do you really think you would have been worse off if during those two years of weed, women, and boose, you had just coasted through high school while you were doing those things, and then when the time came that you found your way, you'd at least have a diploma just in case?

In my case, yes I think I would have been much worse off if I stayed in highschool. The path I went down led me to become a fairly large scale weed dealer in my county. I learned how to run a business with revenues around half a million per year. I learned how to network. And most importantly I learned the importance of money. I knew it wasn't sustainable indefinitely so I eventually figured out I needed a legit career. Never woulda learned that in highschool. :)

erowe1
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
In my case, yes I think I would have been much worse off if I stayed in highschool. The path I went down led me to become a fairly large scale weed dealer in my county. I learned how to run a business with revenues around half a million per year. I learned how to network. And most importantly I learned the importance of money. I knew it wasn't sustainable indefinitely so I eventually figured out I needed a legit career. Never woulda learned that in highschool. :)

Generally speaking, I'd probably advise someone wanting to go that route to wait until they have figured out how they'll get from where they are to being a large scale weed dealer before they dropped out.

brandon
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Generally speaking, I'd probably advise someone wanting to go that route to wait until they have figured out how they'll get from where they are to being a large scale weed dealer before they dropped out.

True, but I didn't have it planned out at the time.

All I'm saying is sometimes you just need to head into the unknown without a plan, and early adulthood is sometimes your only opportunity to do that.

1000-points-of-fright
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I spent a good couple years on weed women and boos until I started to grow up.

If you had finished high school you might have learned how to spell booze properly. Unless you actually mean you were walking around stoned and booing people for two years. Which would be fucking hilarious.

brandon
09-28-2011, 10:35 AM
If you had finished high school you might have learned how to spell booze properly. Unless you actually mean you were walking around stoned and booing people for two years. Which would be fucking hilarious.

I was just waiting for someone to find a flaw in my grammar or spelling and use it to discredit me. Well done. :)

nbhadja
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Finish HS or get your GED and graduate early, but then ignore college. The best bet would be to just work for a company from the bottom at age 16-17 and then work your way up. It takes the average college student 5 years to graduate, then they graduate with a lot of debt and most recent grads cannot even find a job in their field of study anyways. In that 5 year span you could work your way up a company to a decent position. That is what I wish I did.

These days a undergrad college degree is pretty worthless unless you plan to get a masters degree, which is even more time and more money. The reason for this is the bad economy PLUS degree inflation. So many people have undergrad degrees now that they are worthless often times.

Some of the older folks here might not understand the struggles of recent college grads as they probably didn't graduate in times as tough as these and degree inflation was not as bad back then. Even just 4 years ago before 2008 it was a lot better time to graduate, let alone 10-30 years ago where you were assured of a decent job after graduating.

Most of the recent grads I know including myself have had a hard time getting a job in our fields so we just have basic retail/food jobs we could have gotten without college and our majors were "real" majors like accounting, finance.

Don't fall for the scam of college. You have a right mindset, don't let them tell you otherwise but I would recommend finishing high school or getting your GED at minimum as companies prefer that.

erowe1
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Oh my gosh. And then I went and misspelled it after him. And I can't even go back and fix mine, since he's already quoted it.

brandon
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Oh my gosh. And then I went and misspelled it after him. And I can't even go back and fix mine, since he's already quoted it.

Did highschool teach you to blindly trust and follow others? :) j/k

erowe1
09-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Did highschool teach you to blindly trust and follow others? :) j/k

It probably did. Mind you nothing I've said in this thread is meant to be pro-high school, per se. It's just my 2 cents worth of advice for OP's question about his own situation.

WilliamC
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Yes well you can do this without dropping out, or at least you used to be able to I dunno things might have changed in the last 30 years or so ;)

AFPVet
09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Finish HS or get your GED and graduate early, but then ignore college. The best bet would be to just work for a company from the bottom at age 16-17 and then work your way up. It takes the average college student 5 years to graduate, then they graduate with a lot of debt and most recent grads cannot even find a job in their field of study anyways. In that 5 year span you could work your way up a company to a decent position. That is what I wish I did.

These days a undergrad college degree is pretty worthless unless you plan to get a masters degree, which is even more time and more money. The reason for this is the bad economy PLUS degree inflation. So many people have undergrad degrees now that they are worthless often times.

Some of the older folks here might not understand the struggles of recent college grads as they probably didn't graduate in times as tough as these and degree inflation was not as bad back then. Even just 4 years ago before 2008 it was a lot better time to graduate, let alone 10-30 years ago where you were assured of a decent job after graduating.

Most of the recent grads I know including myself have had a hard time getting a job in our fields so we just have basic retail/food jobs we could have gotten without college and our majors were "real" majors like accounting, finance.

Don't fall for the scam of college. You have a right mindset, don't let them tell you otherwise but I would recommend finishing high school or getting your GED at minimum as companies prefer that.

This is true; however, if you have education benefits, you should use them. It doesn't hurt anything to use your benefits/scholarships on a bachelor's degree which does put you ahead of non graduates. I do agree that due to serious education inflation, a four year degree isn't worth much... and a master's is starting to get that way too since more and more seniors are going back for it. If you are going into a specialized field which requires the degree, get it... just don't go into debt for something which may or may not get you extra income or better promotions. Chances are that you will be passed over by someone with more experience anyways since this holds more power than a degree.

Kludge
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes well you can do this without dropping out, or at least you used to be able to I dunno things might have changed in the last 30 years or so ;)
They have drug-sniffing dogs even in the rural schools, now. No "PDA" in the hallways, and only teachers are allowed to be drunk during class.

amy31416
09-28-2011, 01:22 PM
They have drug-sniffing dogs even in the rural schools, now. No "PDA" in the hallways, and only teachers are allowed to be drunk during class.

lol!

Most of my history teachers in public schools were drunkards--always wondered why.

gerryb
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM

And also look into degree programs without all of the debt;

http://www.garynorth.com/public/729.cfm

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
09-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Don't worry about not having a gun. When the idiots get through shooting each other, there will be lots of guns laying around on the ground. The important thing to know is how to operate them as one will have to run from body to body fighting against the zombies that will surely be roaming around during those end times. By zombies, I mean president Obama supporters of course. Only a brain eating zombie would vote for that fascist communist bastard afterall.

With all due respect.

So, don't worry about finding a job. If you can light a match to burn a pile of zombies and then dig a hole to bury their ashes, you will find lots of work.

satchelmcqueen
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
do not quit. i was thinking the same thing when i was your age. i stayed in and let me tell you, today it makes a HUGE difference in getting jobs. finish it man.

Liberty Rebellion
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I dropped out Spring of my senior year ('97) because they told me I had to go to another semester of high school. Effe that! I hated high school. I passed the GED (Good Enough Diploma) test in less than an hour. I have never regretted my decision and never was turned down for any job because of it. I got a AS in Computer Networking (which was a huge waste of money as it didn't help me get a job in the field). I currently work for one of the larger ISPs in the country as a Network Engineer III and not a Principal Engineer only because there aren't any vacancies for the position; I make $75K a year; and, the knowledge and experience I have gained working on this multi-million dollar network I can take with me anywhere; I still haven't had one inquiry in job interviews about my GED.

I continue to learn and teach myself using the Internet and various resources available to anyone out there.

I won't tell you what to do, but just had to throw in my two cents after reading the first page of posts.

Paulitical Correctness
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Normally I'd say go ahead, but...

Senior year? Why quit with such little left?

I dropped out junior year and pursued the GED, junior college, university route.

Currently in MBA program (scam IMO)

Go with your gut though...

reillym
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes, because duh, high school is just indoctrination by the state, don't you know? Ask anyone here.

silverhandorder
09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
By law you can say you graduated from your High School when you get GED. So research that.

Razmear
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Getting a GED probably won't hold you back that much, but you won't be able to get it til after your scheduled graduation date in most cases.
I drove into a tree in December of my senior year and missed about 2 months of school as a result. I dropped out and got a GED instead of having to go back for an extra semester in the next fall.
I got my GED, added some college to that, and have never had an issue getting a job as a result. The National Guard did screw me out of my enlistment bonus as a result so in the unlikely event you were planing on enlisting that's something to consider, but otherwise it won't hold you back that much.
I don't mention my GED on my resumes, I always just put Class of 1986 which is true and doesn't bring up any questions requiring lengthy explanations.

I didn't read all 10 pages of this thread, but if you have a job offer in a trade then quitting school to take that job would not be a bad idea. If your planning on quitting so you have more time to sit on the couch, smoke weed and play Xbox, then maybe hanging on to get your diploma might not be a bad idea.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
eb

Eagles' Wings
01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Finish , but look into what options there are . Near where I live , there is a Christian Academy that lets you pay $150 and test out for a diploma from that High School , that same town , has a program where you can take classes on line for the most part to finish at the local HS.Hi oyarde, where is this school?, if you don't mind saying. Thanks much.

Eagles' Wings
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm bumping this for further discussion of highschool diploma vs GED. Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

heavenlyboy34
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM

This^^ I would also look into trade schools and 2 year schools that offer degrees/certification in practical fields you can start working in right away. Industrial arts folks (welders, mechanics, etc) are almost always in demand.

tangent4ronpaul
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
I missed the original thread, but our local HS lets seniors take classes at the CC across the street from it. You might look and see if something like that is available.

-t

TheGrinch
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm bumping this for further discussion of highschool diploma vs GED. Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

As much as high school is used for indoctrination, and the college bubble has become a scam, does not mean that both aren't worthwhile (especially if you're smart enuogh to be here and take things you "learn" with a grain of salt). I'm always saddened that some got so little out of their major, I really enjoyed my college experience and it led the way for where I am today.

Moreover, just like holding a job for a significant period of time is helpful for your resume to show that you are hireable and won't cost them in turnover, finishing school is also important in being able to show that you accomplished something... Not finishing anytihng you start is only going to make you less hireable in many fields.

Should it be this way, maybe not, but it is what it is. Most jobs are tough without college or trade school, nearly impossible if you didn't finish high school. You will have to prove yourself in other ways to gain any consideration from most.

tangent4ronpaul
01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
As much as high school is used for indoctrination, and the college bubble has become a scam, does not mean that both aren't worthwhile (especially if you're smart enuogh to be here and take things you "learn" with a grain of salt). I'm always saddened that some got so little out of their major, I really enjoyed my college experience and it led the way for where I am today.

Moreover, just like holding a job for a significant period of time is helpful for your resume to show that you are hireable and won't cost them in turnover, finishing school is also important in being able to show that you accomplished something... Not finishing anytihng you start is only going to make you less hireable in many fields.

Should it be this way, maybe not, but it is what it is. Most jobs are tough without college or trade school, nearly impossible if you didn't finish high school. You will have to prove yourself in other ways to gain any consideration from most.

I taught myself computers and became a consultant. Became known as a troubleshooter and did a lot of relatively short term contracts, came in, fixed stuff, took care of their "wish list" and got laid off.

Went to a job fair and took the advice of a gvmt recruiter who said I looked like a job hopper and they wanted to see some stability and that I should go back to college and get a BS in CS. I did. Found out that what they were teaching me had very little to do with what I did for a living, but 2 years out of the field send me from senior level to junior level as things change so quickly. In short, I screwed myself by taking some bad advice.

Don't do that!

-t

MRK
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
I graduated from a public high school consistently ranked as the best or the runner-up in the entire state. I haven't even listed my high school on my resume since I graduated University and worked outside of the state. If high school comes up in an interview I just say which state I went to school in. If I went on about the prestige of my high school I would just look like a schmuck.

The irony of all this is that I am currently self-employed and am in a financially better position by a serious order of magnitude than if I were working for an employer. I'm only two years out of school and the idea of earning 40-80k in a 2-year experience post-bachelors salary or sales job versus what I am doing now is laughable. There's no way I'm going to go back to having an employer unless I am given an offer of $300,000 per year with benefits +++. If I continue the growth I'm experiencing even that will be out of the question. If you can find a product or service that people buy, and make your service scalable, you're going to way outperform an employee salary. The key in my experience is to set up your financing channels yourself, programmatically control as much of your sales and operations side as possible, and outsource what you can't do for a low price to a company that does it for a small cost of each transaction. And voila, you have scalability. And by outsource I don't mean hire a guy in India, I mean simple things like purchasing a company's service to do something you can't do yourself like ship a package through UPS. I haven't even had to hire a traditional W-2 or 1099 employee yet, and am quite glad because that would involve a big-time bureaucratic and management timesink.

After you operate your own business you'll start seeing financial opportunities everywhere and you'll wonder what the hell took you so long to start making it happen. All you have to do is take those first risks.

TheGrinch
01-27-2013, 04:08 PM
I taught myself computers and became a consultant. Became known as a troubleshooter and did a lot of relatively short term contracts, came in, fixed stuff, took care of their "wish list" and got laid off.

Went to a job fair and took the advice of a gvmt recruiter who said I looked like a job hopper and they wanted to see some stability and that I should go back to college and get a BS in CS. I did. Found out that what they were teaching me had very little to do with what I did for a living, but 2 years out of the field send me from senior level to junior level as things change so quickly. In short, I screwed myself by taking some bad advice.

Don't do that!

-t

Well yes, there are certainly plenty of instances where higher education simply isn't worth it, and there are plenty of situations like yours where it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. There are also plenty of fields you cannot even enter without a degree, so there is no one-size-fits-all solution there, particularly not with the absurd rising costs of higher education.

But your experience is essentially what I was talking about. Whatever you do, whether that be school or work, it's important to finish what you started, and not be seen as just jumping around or quitting when the going gets tough. Your accomplishments, experience and trustworthiness are every bit as important (if not moreso) to employers, partners, etc., than what you specifically learned.

July
01-27-2013, 04:19 PM
I dropped out sophomore year in order to homeschool, started working while I studied, went on to college, earned my degree, then went to work for a company. It can be done if you are self motivated. But, given you are already a senior and have such little left to go, I would just finish it up if I were you. Put the energy into planning your next move, rather than trying to switch gears when you are already practically finished anyway. Or see if you have an opportunity to graduate early, or study abroad, if you can.

AFPVet
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Well, are you planning on taking the college entry exams and pursing a degree? If not, definitely stick it out. On the other hand, if you can get into a good college or university, you could get the GED. Just remember, colleges also look at your high school transcripts or GED score.

tangent4ronpaul
01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Well, are you planning on taking the college entry exams and pursing a degree? If not, definitely stick it out. On the other hand, if you can get into a good college or university, you could get the GED. Just remember, colleges also look at your high school transcripts or GED score.

Not the greatest advice.

A backdoor: Enroll at a CC. They have a placement exam, but none of the college entrance exam and essay stuff. They take anyone with a HS diploma or GED. From there you are a guaranteed transfer to a 4 year state uni after as little as a semester, so long as you earn at least a C average. From the uni, you can transfer to a more prestigious uni.

Backdoor 2: Enroll at the uni and take classes "for personal enrichment". After attending at least a semester, change your status to "degree seeking".

You are best off going to a CC for your first 2 years. It's a lot cheaper and you get a lot more personal attention and much smaller class sizes.

-t

bolil
01-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Dont do it, if the economy collapses no one will be ready, certain things can't be prepared for. Besides an economical collapse doesn't mean the collapse of civilization, maybe in big cities things will get hairy.

AFPVet
01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Not the greatest advice.

A backdoor: Enroll at a CC. They have a placement exam, but none of the college entrance exam and essay stuff. They take anyone with a HS diploma or GED. From there you are a guaranteed transfer to a 4 year state uni after as little as a semester, so long as you earn at least a C average. From the uni, you can transfer to a more prestigious uni.

Backdoor 2: Enroll at the uni and take classes "for personal enrichment". After attending at least a semester, change your status to "degree seeking".

You are best off going to a CC for your first 2 years. It's a lot cheaper and you get a lot more personal attention and much smaller class sizes.

-t

These are a couple of good ones too, but another one would be to work for a couple of years or go into the military and then go back to school.

Now I have a high school diploma, but I took the ASVAB and entered active duty in the USAF which automatically enrolled me in the Community College of the Air Force since our tech schools are taught through CCAF. Once I got out, I was able to 'transfer' into the university of my choosing. I think that when I enlisted, the Air Force only accepted a high school diploma, but I believe they let people with GEDs in now. The main thing is that ASVAB score....

AFPVet
01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Just remember, a college degree from an accredited institution (associates or bachelors) outranks a high school diploma. In fact, if you have a college degree, you omit the high school education on your resume. Even the lowliest college program is basically a high school education on steroids.

MRK
01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Not the greatest advice.

From there you are a guaranteed transfer to a 4 year state uni after as little as a semester, so long as you earn at least a C average. From the uni, you can transfer to a more prestigious uni.

C average? What university are you going to get into with a C average without a $100,000 donation? Serious question, perhaps I am misinformed.

Anti Federalist
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Funny, I just got my tax paperwork today...I'm not gonna post what this HS dropout made this year, doing something I enjoy.

:cool:

Anti Federalist
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
C average? What university are you going to get into with a C average without a $100,000 donation? Serious question, perhaps I am misinformed.

Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

MRK
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

Ah of course, HUMC. They would keep sending my ex recruitment flyers in the mail.

Danke
01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Funny, I just got my tax paperwork today...I'm not gonna post what this HS dropout made this year, doing something I enjoy.

:cool:

I think the OP is straight.

2young2vote
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
There are several homes in my area for less than $30,000. You could literally work part time at McDonalds and pay for the Mortgage (less than $200 per month).

$1100 per month in wages (my paychecks used to be $500-600 per check)
-$200 mortgage
-$200 gas/electric
-$300 food
= $400 per month you can save or put towards a car if you don't want to ride a bike. That is $4800 per year. I bet you could put more in the bank than most people who make $50,000+, mostly because of the average persons bad spending habits.

Aeroneous
01-28-2013, 05:34 PM

I think the C average portion might be a little bit of a stretch, but I know what tangent4ronpaul is talking about. It is MUCH easier to get into a University as a transfer student than it is as a high school grad. High school grads will need very impressive GPAs, while often times transfer students need only meet the minimum requirements of the University to get accepted.

tangent4ronpaul
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM

I think the C average portion might be a little bit of a stretch, but I know what tangent4ronpaul is talking about. It is MUCH easier to get into a University as a transfer student than it is as a high school grad. High school grads will need very impressive GPAs, while often times transfer students need only meet the minimum requirements of the University to get accepted.

Any university in the University of Maryland System. A number of years ago the CC's had to sync their curriculums to what the uni's expected for pre-rec course work, so for example, they used to teach C for their CS classes and had to change to C++. They expected certain algorithms to be covered, etc. It's a direct, 100% guaranteed transfer of credits. Anything less than a C won't transfer.

Other states also do this.

-t

Aeroneous
01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Any university in the University of Maryland System. A number of years ago the CC's had to sync their curriculums to what the uni's expected for pre-rec course work, so for example, they used to teach C for their CS classes and had to change to C++. They expected certain algorithms to be covered, etc. It's a direct, 100% guaranteed transfer of credits. Anything less than a C won't transfer.

Other states also do this.

-t

California does something quite similar with their "IGETC" certificate program. Basically if you get your "IGETC" cert in CC, it means that you will not have to take in GE classes at any Cal State or UC school. It also makes transferring much easier.

coastie
01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Definitely stick it out. A GED is not the same as a diploma.

High school may be stupid. But dropping out isn't worth the consequences for most people. The 6 months you have left may look like a long time from where you're sitting not. But it isn't a long time at all, and in a few years you'll see that it was nothing.

ORLY? Interesting, it hasn't stopped me from doing shit in life, and the piece of paper I got for taking the GED test...says High School Diploma on it.

heavenlyboy34
01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
do not quit. i was thinking the same thing when i was your age. i stayed in and let me tell you, today it makes a HUGE difference in getting jobs. finish it man.
Examples, plz? None of my employers or prospective employers cared about my HS diploma. Just my college credentials. My last job was the secretary biz, and I just had to know how to use a computer, answer the phone, and general secretary stuff.

coastie
01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Examples, plz? None of my employers or prospective employers cared about my HS diploma. Just my college credentials. My last job was the secretary biz, and I just had to know how to use a computer, answer the phone, and general secretary stuff.

^yep. I have never even heard of someone actually looking into whether or not you had one. Ever. I'll be 36 in May, and have NEVER heard of anyone either

a). actually checking on it

b) being fired for someone actually checking on it

I've worked with reams of people who lied about their HS diploma-even in the military-and, as I said, have NEVER heard of anyone being fired for lying about it. ANyone else?

OP- I'm not saying to drop out, but I honestly could not give you a good reason not to, without lying to you.

angelatc
01-28-2013, 07:35 PM

When applying for low level front end jobs, the applications I see almost always ask "Did you graduate from high school?"

I don't know anybody that's been busted for lying, but technology today is a game changer.

coastie
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
When applying for low level front end jobs, the applications I see almost always ask "Did you graduate from high school?"

I don't know anybody that's been busted for lying, but technology today is a game changer.

Hmmm, good point, I neglected to think of that.

Related, you will not find me by either photo, or even name, in all 4 years of high school I attended('91-'95). (I quit literally right before graduation over an argument/break up with my HS sweetheart, and why I had to take the "GED" test, which, as I said earlier, came by mail in the form of a HS Diploma several weeks later after the test).

heavenlyboy34
01-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Interesting. I've filled out apps for grocery store gigs (as in entry level bag boy type stuff, not management or anything) and never got that question. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

RickyJ
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
My advice to you is only quit if you are ready to pass the GED test and go to college for a field that is in demand. If you are not ready to do that then don't quit. A high school diploma may not be worth much, but it is better than not having anything if you don't go to college. I have no HS diploma, but I do have a BS in computer science graduating in the top 1 percent of my class. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it does help vs. having nothing.

heavenlyboy34
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
My advice to you is only quit if you are ready to pass the GED test and go to college for a field that is in demand. If you are not ready to do that then don't quit. A high school diploma may not be worth much, but it is better than not having anything if you don't go to college. I have no HS diploma, but I do have a BS in computer science graduating in the top 1 percent of my class. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it does help vs. having nothing.
...or trade school. If you go to a reputable school and learn the trade well, you're very likely to get a job. The trades are more interesting, too. My sis got vet tech credentials after getting a GED and was hired almost immediately by a vet clinic. (her abrasive personality got her fired, but that's another story) ETA: Even if you get a degree, you'll be at a disadvantage to people with experience. Just about every time, the person with experience will get the job instead of the person with the same college credentials.

fr33
01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
If you could manage to be self employed all your life the job application won't matter. Like if you're one of those that plans on sticking with the family business.

Most of my time spent in school was a complete waste of time. I could have been making money.

bolil
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Hey OP, Update? What are you thinking?

Pericles
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Such is the case, we are a society based on credentials, not ability.