PDA

View Full Version : Mom, Dad, If you love me, you will vote for Ron Paul in the primaries

robertwerden
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
My mom is a democrat and my dad is a neocon. Yet those simple words made them agree to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries for me.
This is why the youth vote is so important. Convincing my 70 year old dad to change his neocon views is next to impossible. Yet love made him change his vote.

Try it. Spread the word.

wgadget
09-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Great idea...You must not be a spring chicken, though, if your parents are that old...LOL

But I'm sure it would work even better if REAL kids (under 25) did the same to their boomer parents (people your age). They're the ones who will REALLY be bearing the burden of our economic disaster.

robertwerden
09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm 40, but it really makes no difference how old you are. You parents instinctively want to make the world better for their children, and even if your political views are different, they will respond to a plea like this. Help me change the world to be a place I want to live in and raise my children in. You have this chance to help me do it. Bring your friends, tell your coworkers. This is a opportunity to make my world the way I want.

samuel
09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
This seems ever so slightly manipulative...

sailingaway
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
This seems ever so slightly manipulative...

http://markgorman.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/pathetic.jpg

... actually, it's HONEST.

Manipulative would be torturously setting up the conversation to make them believe they came up with the idea themselves.... :p

09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm 38, my mother is almost on board. I haven't had to resort to manipulation yet. She's really come around. Lots of older people don't want to see the country trashed for the next generation. I was seriously surprised how many older people I saw out at the rally in NJ yesterday, I sort of expected to see only college kids, but I was very wrong.

ForLiberty2012
09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
My parents have common sense, so they are already on board ;) (not to insult other parents lol)

robmpreston
09-27-2011, 08:57 AM
My mom isn't really a Ron Paul person, but she's fed up with the way things are going enough that she told me she's voting for Paul no matter what. My dad can't vote, so I don't have to try to convert his neocon views :P

InTradePro
09-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Don't manipulate. This revolution has LOVE written in it after all.
Just be honest, say you are passionate about this and it would mean a lot if they voted for Ron Paul

HeyArchie
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Since my parents and I are in FL (I continually see that FL is a lost cause), I don't know how much our three votes would help. BUT, my dad I think got so sick of hearing about RP he said he'd vote for him. My mom is still into the idea that America is the greatest and most prosperous country and because of that we have to police the world. She has said she likes Herman Cain. She is weird. She is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-Obama, pro-war. She confuses the hell out of me.

But, she's a doctor so I try to sell her on the fact that RP worked as an OBGYN for such a low wage at a church (Mom and Dad are Christians).

Tarzan
09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I've been pitching this as an idea for a new TV spot... RPAC or the campaign.

Here it is again:

Late 20s/early 30s dad... help wanted ads spread out on the kitchen table... a stack of bills nearby... video flash clips of frustrating job searches, out of business signs (the tv is playing in the background and we hear it announcing more bad economic news; unemployment up, more deficit spending, government borrowing, housing problems, etc.)... for sale signs all over the neighborhood... definite signs that things are going REALLY bad for the family economically. A couple of very young children in the house and the dad showing all the emotional strain of worrying about them and the future.

The dad gathers himself and shows the resolve of having made a decision... he strokes the kids on the head and grabs his key and a wad of papers near the bills (we think they are bills... though you can't make out what, exactly)... he heads out the door. At a different house the door opens and his mom is at the door... clutching the rolled up papers he says:

"Mom... I need to talk to you and dad."
They sit down together... the young dad says:
"Mom... Dad... the economy is terrible and getting worse... things are really tough for all of us... you've helped us so much... but, I need to ask you to do something else that's very important for me and your grand kids... I need you to Vote for Ron Paul"

The papers he grabbed are now revealed... they are not bills at all... they are Ron Paul position papers on the economy, etc. He hands them to his parents. The parents look through the papers... but, say nothing... they take one another's hands, purse their lips and with emotion filled eyes of gladness & hope... they turn to their son and nod their heads. (maybe the elder father says "we're with you son... you can count on us")

There... a little more scope and a broader audience... three generations instead of two. We also remove any direct talk about being jobless and have people draw their own conclusions so it can hit a broader audience... not just the jobless, but everybody in economic trouble.

This could also be done as bookends... half the commercial then fade to black when he meets mom at the door. Ending segment starts with meeting mom at the door... then, finishes.

CaptUSA
09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't think many parents are swayed by the pleas of their children. Their children have grown up asking for all sorts of things and most parents think they know better.

In fact, contrary to popular belief, I think many seniors vote with their children in mind. Of course, they think they know better than their children since they have acquired more wisdom.

CaptUSA
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Here it is again:

Late 20s/early 30s dad... help wanted ads spread out on the kitchen table... a stack of bills nearby... video flash clips of frustrating job searches, out of business signs (the tv is playing in the background and we hear it announcing more bad economic news; unemployment up, more deficit spending, government borrowing, housing problems, etc.)... for sale signs all over the neighborhood... definite signs that things are going REALLY bad for the family economically. A couple of very young children in the house and the dad showing all the emotional strain of worrying about them and the future.

The dad gathers himself and shows the resolve of having made a decision... he strokes the kids on the head and grabs his key and a wad of papers near the bills (we think they are bills... though you can't make out what, exactly)... he heads out the door. At a different house the door opens and his mom is at the door... clutching the rolled up papers he says:

"Mom... Dad... the economy is terrible and getting worse... things are really tough for all of us... you've helped us so much... but, I need to ask you to do something else that's very important for me and your grand kids... I need you to Vote for Ron Paul"

The papers he grabbed are now revealed... they are not bills at all... they are Ron Paul position papers on the economy, etc. He hands them to his parents. The parents look through the papers... but, say nothing... they take one another's hands, purse their lips and with emotion filled eyes of gladness & hope... they turn to their son and nod their heads. (maybe the elder father says "we're with you son... you can count on us")

There... a little more scope and a broader audience... three generations instead of two. We also remove any direct talk about being jobless and have people draw their own conclusions so it can hit a broader audience... not just the jobless, but everybody in economic trouble.

This could also be done as bookends... half the commercial then fade to black when he meets mom at the door. Ending segment starts with meeting mom at the door... then, finishes.I like that! +rep This could be done in a short 30 ad, too!

sailingaway
09-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Here it is again:

This could also be done as bookends... half the commercial then fade to black when he meets mom at the door. Ending segment starts with meeting mom at the door... then, finishes.

That sounds great!

JamesButabi
09-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I registered my mother, brother, sister, and best friend this week. Handed them the form, helped them fill it out, and mailed it. States will be won by both republican converts and apathetic newcomers combining.