PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Chief: city police could take down a plane if necessary

Lafayette
09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NYPD_60_MINUTES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-09-25-19-59-04

NEW YORK (AP) -- The chief of the New York Police Department says city police could take down a plane if necessary.

Commissioner Ray Kelly tells CBS' "60 Minutes" that after the Sept. 11 attacks, he decided the city couldn't rely on the federal government alone. He set about creating the NYPD's own counter-terrorism unit. He says the department is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane.

:eek:

So we know the NYPD isn't going to be dropping 747s with 9mm pistol rounds, now we have city police packing anti air craft guns and surface to air missiles?!?!!?!??!!!!! :eek: :mad::confused::eek:

Rael
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
He might be bluffing. It's interesting though. Some guy on the radio claimed the NYPDs helicopters can take out any plane, but I find that hard to believe since planes are much faster and can fly higher than a helicopter.

Golding
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I can understand his point of view. Murdering innocent people one at a time must be tedious for law enforcement. He just wants his officers to be able to do their jobs more efficiently.

Lafayette
09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
He might be bluffing. It's interesting though. Some guy on the radio claimed the NYPDs helicopters can take out any plane, but I find that hard to believe since planes are much faster and can fly higher than a helicopter.

I doubt hes bluffing, we already have law enforcement around the country decked out like navy seals driving around in armored personnel carriers, why not this.

JoshLowry
09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Murdering innocent people one at a time must be tedious for law enforcement. He just wants his officers to be able to do their jobs more efficiently.

These posts are not helpful.

Yes, there are bad cops out there.

RedLightning
09-26-2011, 10:54 PM
If i trusted the police more I wouldn't mind that they had that sort of fire power.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Wow, so these guys who have problems shooting harmless dogs are thinking they need to start deciding what planes to take out?

libertybrewcity
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I'd like to see what they would use to do that. Fight jets?

fisharmor
09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd like to see what they would use to do that. Fight jets?

Yooz guise see doze guise ovah daih? Dey's the toughest cops in da countree. New Yawk, boan an' bred. Dey's so tough, dey could take down a mudda fukkin' aiahplane, wit deya teeth!

Xenophage
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
The helicopters can probably be armed with cannons and/or missiles. I doubt they'd be real effective against jet fighters or high altitude bombers, but passenger jets are extremely fragile, slow, large targets.

WilliamC
09-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking they got some of those missing Lybian shoulder mounted heat seeking anti-aircraft missiles that went missing.

Bloomberg can afford 'em.

enjerth
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
So, has anyone stopped to consider that this is just one more potential tool for the terrorists to use? I mean, they don't even have to get an explosive device on an airplane now. Through subterfuge or subversion they can use these tools to take down an airplane.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Carole
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NYPD_60_MINUTES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-09-25-19-59-04

NEW YORK (AP) -- The chief of the New York Police Department says city police could take down a plane if necessary.

Commissioner Ray Kelly tells CBS' "60 Minutes" that after the Sept. 11 attacks, he decided the city couldn't rely on the federal government alone. He set about creating the NYPD's own counter-terrorism unit. He says the department is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane.

:eek:

So we know the NYPD isn't going to be dropping 747s with 9mm pistol rounds, now we have city police packing anti air craft guns and surface to air missiles?!?!!?!??!!!!! :eek: :mad::confused::eek:

This has to be a bluff. Wouldn't it be infringing upon a Federal responsibility to protect against terrorism?

After all Arizona is accused of infringing upon the Fed's responsibility for protecting the border. :D :rolleyes:

ctb619
09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I think he means a guy in a police helicopter with a Barrett .50 cal on a helo sling. Not much of an anti-aircraft capability.

Freedom 4 all
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM

We may know that, but a surprising amount of people actually believe that you can take down a helicopter with a handgun.