PDA

View Full Version : General Gov. Christie shoots down 'Jersey Shore' tax credit

GopBlackList
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44677442/ns/business-us_business/?GT1=43001#.ToE5_5aj2y0

Christie on Monday blocked a $420,000 film credit that was approved for the show last week by the state Economic Development Authority.

The money was supposed to cover production costs for the hit reality series' inaugural 2009 season.

Christie suspended the film tax credit program in 2010 to close a budget deficit, but the 2009 season still qualified for the credit.

"I have no interest in policing the content of such projects," he said in a statement. "However, as chief executive I am duty-bound to ensure that taxpayers are not footing a $420,000 bill for a project which does nothing more than perpetuate misconceptions about the State and its citizens."

hmmmm.. regardless of what you think of the show, I think it might be tad bit too far in exercising one's executive power. What do ya'll think?

dbill27
09-26-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44677442/ns/business-us_business/?GT1=43001#.ToE5_5aj2y0

hmmmm.. regardless of what you think of the show, I think it might be tad bit too far in exercising one's executive power. What do ya'll think?

You wanted him to subsidize jersey shore?

kylejack
09-26-2011, 11:45 PM
No, of course not. The reason to give tax breaks is to promote tourism, commerce, and industry in the area. There is no reason to help with the finances on a show that is actually doing damage to your state's reputation.

You can speak your mind. Just not on my dime.
Billy Joel, slightly modified

GopBlackList
09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
You wanted him to subsidize jersey shore?

Well we got some freedom haters on this board don't we?

kylejack
09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Well we got some freedom haters on this board don't we?
You think the taxpayers of a state giving money to a TV show has something to do with freedom?

brushfire
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM

http://gifsforum.com/images/image/not%20sure%20if%20serious/mini/not_sure_if_serious_8.jpg

GopBlackList
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
You think the taxpayers of a state giving money to a TV show has something to do with freedom?

So Christie can chooser winners and losers?

kylejack
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
So Christie can chooser winners and losers?
Yes, it looks like he has the authority to do so.

trey4sports
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
why in the sam holy hell should they get a tax break to film that show?

gerryb
09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
It's called a tax credit folks.

They aren't GIVING money away. They just aren't TAKING it.

Aratus
09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
^ explain this to michele bachmann! she had sounded confused... ^

Tarzan
09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
It's called a tax credit folks.

They aren't GIVING money away. They just aren't TAKING it.

Well... before they could GIVE it to somebody... they had to TAKE it from somebody.
To make that more clear... the budget money has to come from somewhere... when you don't take money from one source (like JS) you have to get it from another... so, the taxpayers pay more (or, they raise those freakin' tolls on their roads)
$400+k... geez, how much does orange tanning cream cost, anyway?

I understand the concept of economic incentives... but, government needs to get out of that business... otherwise, they are taking your money to personally subsidize someone else. When they provide an incentive to one group or person the money has to come from some other group or person. There are broader social implications, to be sure... but, Jersey Shore is well inside the line. If I lived in New Jersey (god forbid) I would be a little pissed my tax money was being spent to subsidize this entertainment show... or, I was being taxed more to make up the difference... besides, aren't they filming in Europe now?

Screw 'em... no money for JS.

kylejack
09-27-2011, 07:57 PM
It isn't a tax deduction though, it's a tax credit. So it might result in a negative tax bill.