PDA

View Full Version : Logging out of Facebook is Not Enough

DamianTV
09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Logging out of Facebook is Not Enough
http://nikcub-static02.appspot.com/logging-out-of-facebook-is-not-enough

The advice is to log out of Facebook. But logging out of Facebook only de-authorizes your browser from the web application, a number of cookies (including your account number) are still sent along to all requests to facebook.com. Even if you are logged out, Facebook still knows and can track every page you visit. The only solution is to delete every Facebook cookie in your browser, or to use a separate browser for Facebook interactions.

(more on link)

SamuraisWisdom
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty much done with facebook at this point. Been working on a Google+ account, but I've yet to hear whether that's better than facebook in terms of privacy.

RileyE104
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty much done with facebook at this point. Been working on a Google+ account, but I've yet to hear whether that's better than facebook in terms of privacy.

Isn't Google pretty much owned by the United States government?

InTradePro
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
The story is somewhat of a spin. They don't track you, but they had a security issue which means that you should change your password once since it was updated. Sometime in July 11 if I recall correctly. Once you have changed your password all will be fine again at least in regards to that security hole.

nobody's_hero
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Isn't Google pretty much owned by the United States government?

hell, with the way Google has been expanding, maybe it should be:

the United States government is pretty much owned by Google.

I will say that Facebook has that aggravating feature where you are essentially harassed into sharing comments you post on nearly any news website to your wall. The latest Facebook update allows you to hide wall comments from elsewhere on the web that you visit, but it was a problem in the past.

I never really said anything that I didn't want on my facebook page, it was just more annoying/concerning than anything else, that facebook seems to want to share everything you type on the internet.