PDA

View Full Version : House Republican Staff SAYS Military cuts will destroy jobs..what a joke

phesoge
09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/183921-gop-releases-bleak-report-on-further-defense-cuts?page=2#comments

Article on how some Republican staffers say if we cut our military we will have a draft, and lose jobs etcc....a lot of non sense, but one hilarious quote is

the GOP staff wrote. “These cuts would destroy jobs and stall the economy, they could force America to return to the draft, and we would incur more casualties as we defend our freedom.”

lolol are they all keynesians now?

virgil47
09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/183921-gop-releases-bleak-report-on-further-defense-cuts?page=2#comments

Article on how some Republican staffers say if we cut our military we will have a draft, and lose jobs etcc....a lot of non sense, but one hilarious quote is

the GOP staff wrote. “These cuts would destroy jobs and stall the economy, they could force America to return to the draft, and we would incur more casualties as we defend our freedom.”

Hmm those that are forced out would indeed be unemployed and their jobs will have been lost as far as they are concerned. Do you have some magic wand that will be used to suddenly employ these folks or are you simply rejoicing at the discomfort these families will encounter?

sratiug
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Hmm those that are forced out would indeed be unemployed and their jobs will have been lost as far as they are concerned. Do you have some magic wand that will be used to suddenly employ these folks or are you simply rejoicing at the discomfort these families will encounter?Ron Paul does. Bring them all home from overseas, that will create many thousands of jobs here in the USA.

phesoge
09-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I am not rejoicing in anyone's discomfort, but what I am pointing out is that the Republican staffers are saying if we cut government spending right now we will stall the economy and lose jobs........yet, we here from the republicans all the time that the dems are destroying the economy by spending too much, and we need to cut government to promote growth. It just seems hypocritical to me. Yes, all government spending would incur pain on some individuals, and I am not rejoicing in that pain,but I do believe that this is one component necessary to promote a more vibrant private sector which would absorb the former government employees that are unemployed when the inevitable cuts occur.

LudwigVonMisoSoup
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Guys, you're missing the bigger picture. After about 3 minutes of Googling, I turned up this:

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00006882&cycle=2012

Top 5 Campaign Contributions:

Boeing Co $29,750 $19,750 $10,000
General Atomics $28,500 $18,500 $10,000
Lockheed Martin $28,500 $18,500 $10,000
Harris Corp $20,000 $10,000 $10,000
Northrop Grumman $10,500 $500 $10,000

Top 5 Industries:

Defense Aerospace $114,250 $42,250 $72,000
Defense Electronics $67,500 $10,000 $57,500
Misc Defense $65,750 $11,250 $54,500
Electric Utilities $29,500 $18,500 $11,000
Misc Manf. & Dist. $18,500 $15,000 $3,500

He knows and we know this has nothing to do with a draft, economic recovery, or crippling our military. He's bought and paid for by the military industrial complex, so he's shilling for them. There's a name for people who can be bought for a price...

donnay
09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
You cannot balance the budget until you cut the military spending!!

Getting rid of the crony capitalism will create jobs!!

ghengis86
09-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Ron Paul does. Bring them all home from overseas, that will create many thousands of jobs here in the USA.

everyone realizes that there's a difference between cutting the size of the military and just bringing them home from overseas missions, no? I think RP would like to first bring every service member home then work on a reudction in size of the armed forces. His point being the 40,000 or so soldiers currently stationed in Germany could spend their government paychecks at U.S. businesses instead of those in Germany. Ditto for those in Korea, Japan, etc. That's where the economy gets stimulated and more jobs would be created.

ItsTime
09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
So why not raise more taxes and fund the military more? :rolleyes:

FreedomProsperityPeace
09-26-2011, 08:53 PM
.yet, we here from the republicans all the time that the dems are destroying the economy by spending too much, and we need to cut government to promote growth. It just seems hypocritical to me.Yep, the hypocrisy has been exposed for a long time. Dick "Deficits Don't Matter" Cheney? They love big spending and big government as long as they can control it. Just like the Dems love war as long as it's for their causes. That's why people call them Democans and Republicrats. It's one big duopoly, two sides of the same coin.

kah13176
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Unemployment is supposed to measure economic strength. Jobs in the military don't contribute to that strength. So really, you could argue the unemployment figure is artificially low. It's no different than paying people to dig holes if you think about it. Yeah, they're employed, but they're doing nothing to help.

Philhelm
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Even a 12 year old kid knows that when your income is negative, it's time to sell your military units, consolidate the rest, and start pumping up the economy. I think politicians should be required to have played Sid Meier's Civilization.

ghengis86
09-26-2011, 09:28 PM
So why not raise more taxes and fund the military more? :rolleyes:

Oh come on. Would you rather them blow up innocent people around the world or shinning boots and marching/drilling in some fort southern Georgia? I'd like to eliminate the military too, but we didn't get into this mess overnight. Small steps my friend.

Badger Paul
09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
". It just seems hypocritical to me."

It is hypocritical. Fortunately there's one candidate who isn't.

phesoge
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
". It just seems hypocritical to me."

It is hypocritical. Fortunately there's one candidate who isn't.

Got that right................Hello Fellow Wisconsinite...........................

The Free Hornet
09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Policing the world is the overseas broken window fallacy. We pay an American to break a window and then pay a foreigner to fix it. Even a Keynesian would rather that window get broken in America.

moderate libertarian
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Ending TSA or shrinking IRS size would also destroy lot of jobs, do these dimwits support these expansive government programs at current levels also?

Sometimes I can't decide if Republicans have more dumbos or Democrats.

Zippyjuan
09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Hmm those that are forced out would indeed be unemployed and their jobs will have been lost as far as they are concerned. Do you have some magic wand that will be used to suddenly employ these folks or are you simply rejoicing at the discomfort these families will encounter?
Not only do they lose their jobs as the jobs are closed but all the stores and companies that they shopped at will find they are losing business (these unemployed government employees will not have money to spend there anymore) and others will lose jobs as well. Laying off people from anything will increase the rate of unemployment- unless there are other jobs for them to go to- which there aren't these days- so yes, unemployment will rise and the economy will slow further.

oyarde
09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
It will have a needed negative impact at first , but it will heal itself . Just my opinion...

Zippyjuan
09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
It will have a needed negative impact at first , but it will heal itself . Just my opinion...
The result is the same no matter who the employer is- the US government or Wall Street or WalMart.

oyarde
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
The result is the same no matter who the employer is- the US government or Wall Street or WalMart. Yes.

eproxy100
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
That settles it then! It's better to have the government employ people by stealing from others, through taxes and inflationary money printing. What a terrible idea to let the free market balance out the additional goods/services output needed by these people with the labor needed for that said additional output. What have we RP fans been thinking :eek: