PDA

View Full Version : Stocks: How many of you are personally in the stock market?

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Just out of curiosity. How many of you have a portfolio of stocks that you have personally bought (not company stock)? I've been putting some money away and finally have a little bit I'm willing to invest with, because it sure isn't going to do anything sitting in my PNC "growth account" getting .085%... 3 months with $1,000 untouched, and I get a whopping $1.10... That's the main reason I'm not even putting more in there, it'll barely cover inflation.

I'm not going to say I'm not looking for investment advice, but I don't want to get into precious metals right now. I'm more interested in foreign stocks. As volatile as their markets are sometimes (most of the time), I'm worried about metals in general. They're totally out of control now, I wish I got in a long time ago. I'll move into metals eventually as a safeguard.

cubical
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
That won't even cover inflation. Here is my portfolio

GDXJ NEM SLW SGOL CHL CYD PVX PGH PWE CEF KMI

and I am looking at buying

RGLD SNDXF.PK FNV OSKFF.PK NG SA STO BBL SI

This is in my tax deferred account. I believe stocks are headed lower in the short term, but before the year ends I would be surprised if the fed does not act with another round of stimulus. As you can see I am pretty much in gold/silver and overseas. KMI is my only American play and it is an oil/gas play that is projected to grow at 10% and it is yielding 4.5%, giving me about a 14% return.

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Newmont and CHL look pretty good, I need to look into that. Well if they are low in the short-term it might be a good time to get in. I need to do some more homework. I'm planning on using my growth account to invest, how thin should I spread it out? I always hear to diversify but its hard to split the atom in the grand scheme of what I plan on contributing for now.

ILUVRP
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
me , i am in the bakken shale stocks---nog--kog--tplm

willwash
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I know I'm going to get poo pooed by the hyperinflationist mongers here, but I'm going to plead with you to pay off all your debts before you begin investing. If you have a mortgage, put every extra dime into it. If not, then your car, or whatever. Whenever you reach the point of being debt free, then you can begin investing. When one hand owes money and the other hand is trying to save money, you're just jerking off.

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I know I'm going to get poo pooed by the hyperinflationist mongers here, but I'm going to plead with you to pay off all your debts before you begin investing. If you have a mortgage, put every extra dime into it. If not, then your car, or whatever. Whenever you reach the point of being debt free, then you can begin investing. When one hand owes money and the other hand is trying to save money, you're just jerking off.Debt-free my friend. Renting, used cars, paid out of pocket for education. Now I'm just working. I plan on investing just 1 check for right now, see how I do.

willwash
09-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Very nice. I'm trying to work down my mortgage as fast as I can...I haev a little bit in a savings acct for emergencies, zero credit card/car/other debt and every penny I can scrape together goes into my mortgage. I should be debt free in just 3 or 4 more years

Revolution0918
09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
me.......read Aftershock first....good ideas on where to put your money, I have a large portion in Apple, have been in for a while, also a lot of miners, other than that, PM.

Cap'n Crunk
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm in the market. Will be getting out in next couple of weeks. I have a bad feeling. Risk is to the downside.

DrWarren
09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Here is my portfolio:

Debt free (Since 2003)
Farm / wood land
Physical Silver American Eagles
Physical Gold American Eagles
XRA (mining stock)
SLV (very little)
DBA (agriculture commodities ETF)
Cash

willwash
09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm a firm believer in real estate. If you are debt free and have the capital to get a few multiunit housing buildings (especially fixer uppers) without leveraging too much, you can realize 8, 9, 10% easily.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I am, but only as an easy way to reduce my taxable burden. Seems better to gamble the money than give it to the Feds right now with retirement contributions. Stocks are low on my list of priorities.

I adore precious metals, but investing in bigger income streams also interests me. Outside of my day job, I do some freelance work online that I hope will one day lead to a full time business and passive income streams. I reinvest profits into these techniques, and so far the return is much better than stocks.

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately I don't have much to invest. Can't even invest in a new car right now, I just know my money is going to eat $#@^ sitting in that bank account earning next to nothing.

cubical
09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I am, but only as an easy way to reduce my taxable burden. Seems better to gamble the money than give it to the Feds right now with retirement contributions. Stocks are low on my list of priorities.

I adore precious metals, but investing in bigger income streams also interests me. Outside of my day job, I do some freelance work online that I hope will one day lead to a full time business and passive income streams. I reinvest profits into these techniques, and so far the return is much better than stocks.

Check out Master Limited Partnerships

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
How much disposable income should I invest for it to be worth it? I know there's all sorts of rates, then taxes, etc. I plan on holding for at least a year unless there's an opportunity to cash in.

cubical
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
How much disposable income should I invest for it to be worth it? I know there's all sorts of rates, then taxes, etc. I plan on holding for at least a year unless there's an opportunity to cash in.

Do you have an IRA yet? If not open a Roth IRA. In an IRA account, you don't have to worry about taxes(unless you buy MLPs, so avoid them). You can do it at the link in my sig(I know, a shamless plug) or at any other brokerage firms like TD Ameritrade, scottrade, etrade etc. Optionshouse only charges $4 per trade, which is nice vs most other places where it is $10. If you are investing something like $1000, then it is only worth buying one, maybe 2 stocks. At such a low amount the fees will eat away on your gains.

enoch150
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
If you want to avoid metals, I assume you also want to avoid miners. How about:

INTC (technology, 3.8% yield)
LO (cigarettes, 4.7% yield)
MCY (insurance, 6.4% yield)
CVX (oil, 3.4% yield)
OLN (chemicals, ammunition, 4.2% yield)

Defining Obscene
09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Do you have an IRA yet? If not open a Roth IRA. In an IRA account, you don't have to worry about taxes(unless you buy MLPs, so avoid them). You can do it at the link in my sig(I know, a shamless plug) or at any other brokerage firms like TD Ameritrade, scottrade, etrade etc. Optionshouse only charges $4 per trade, which is nice vs most other places where it is $10. If you are investing something like $1000, then it is only worth buying one, maybe 2 stocks. At such a low amount the fees will eat away on your gains.

I do not have an IRA yet. That's what I figured, the fees will kill the gains unless something freakishly good happens. I'll take a look at optionhouse.

If you want to avoid metals, I assume you also want to avoid miners. How about:

INTC (technology, 3.8% yield)
LO (cigarettes, 4.7% yield)
MCY (insurance, 6.4% yield)
CVX (oil, 3.4% yield)
OLN (chemicals, ammunition, 4.2% yield)Well, I'm not against investing in mines, I'm just weary about holding physical right now. I might get into physical silver eventually. Those are interesting picks. I'd need to see their long term performance.

Hayekforever
09-27-2011, 04:32 AM
You need more than 1K.

But AGQ looks good on the short run

Pericles
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I own stock, but I'm not in the market.

Arklatex
09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Now is probably not a bad time to add equity in quality profitable mines. I'd be tempted to add PMs here, equities if you are bold.

I am not tempted by any sort of equity other than miners, not OIL or anything else. That's just me. I think technology based on electromagnetism is already here that would done ALREADY replaced the oil industry if this world wasn't corrupt. I know for a fact the oil industry days are numbered. I recommended everyone read the book 'the dividing of the way' by Phylos the Thibetan. I do believe it. :toady:

jclay2
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I am out as of today. I had a somewhat immaterial amount left in an S&P index fund and sold it off today. I will be waiting with lots of dry powder to buy when people really start to panic again and consequently bring equity levels back to reality.

Defining Obscene
09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm waiting to jump in when the time is right. I missed that silver chaos.. Could have made something of it.

Defining Obscene
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Another question for those who are in the market, other than Europac letters or this forum, where do you look for investment information/discussion? Surely you all didn't consult Jim Cramer.

Arklatex
10-01-2011, 06:49 AM
google.finance

I read seeking alpha sometimes for a commentary. Kitco.com and 321gold.com are some good sites. That's it! I never turn the TV on unless it's to watch football.

Basically once you learn to read financial stmts (like the cash flow stmt etc etc) and yearly and quarterly reports that's all there is to know.

Microsecessionist
10-01-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm not working yet, but when I do, I'll buy gold bullion with 90% of my savings. I'll also just hide it somewhere in my residence.

The stock market isn't a good idea because it's risky and you just gain paper money from it. T-Bonds are an even worse idea because it encourages the gov to borrow money and you'll never get paid back the princple. I wish my parents would get out of the T-Bond market. I doubt that they're going to be able to sell when my dad retires. They're quite unethical for investing in TBonds, although they just blindly trust their money manager because they "only" lost 2.5% one quarter when some of their friends lost 40% one quarter. They also think they have 1.38million because their report puts that as the bottom line, but they don't have that on hand, and they probably never will. Hedge fund managers are just there to make money (considering that there are hard assets) and my parents don't realize it.

I also agree with the guy who said real estate if you're not in debt and as long as investing in it doesn't get you into debt. It's not a completely hard asset, but it's harder than stocks and bonds.

Dr. J
10-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi all, my $.02, which is worth just that:
Read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor and Security Analysis. They are still immensely valuable in choosing equities.
Following that, apply that valuation in an equities sector in which: 1) You have some knowledge. 2) You are interested in learning more about.
I believe PM's will boom soon, and many ETF's in that sector are oversold. If the dollar sharply declines, as most of us believe, this sector could see a double boom. The flood into equities paired with the PM boom.

Eleutheros
10-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I know I'm going to get poo pooed by the hyperinflationist mongers here, but I'm going to plead with you to pay off all your debts before you begin investing. If you have a mortgage, put every extra dime into it. If not, then your car, or whatever. Whenever you reach the point of being debt free, then you can begin investing. When one hand owes money and the other hand is trying to save money, you're just jerking off.

(at bolded): No, you're not even doing that, because at least when you jerk off, you get "something" to show for your efforts when it's done.

anthonydgober
10-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Me I invest in silver stocks or companies outside of the US.

Arklatex
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi all, my $.02, which is worth just that:
Read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor and Security Analysis.

Many years ago I read that book and appreciated it but we live in a very different time. This financial system is not back by a sound currency, is completely rigged and manipulated by a Fed Reserve banking system 100%. It is centrally planned to the max, a complete illusion. I recommend reading anything by Peter Schiff, Jim Rogers, Ron Paul. Marc Faber. :)

Defining Obscene
10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the sources. I look to invest into more than PM, as lucrative as they may be. I know you guys are probably not too fond of it, but I see real potential in foreign tech stocks, particularly mobile providers in Europe (tech AND europe..!). Not so much that I expect Europe to do great, but I think there are some solid companies that are nailing the furniture down. Going with Dr.J's advice, I work in telecomm and have some interest in the sector. Why Europe? Certain companies have been doing major buyouts and buying large shares in mobile companies in Africa. Africa is on the verge of a boom, if they aren't in it already. They will soon have comprehensive mobile infrastructure, and their customer base is massive. Think of how people used to (and still do) view the majority of Africa as a wasteland (they've barely undergone an industrialization, and some regions struggle with clean water). Yet that entire continent will be mobile users within the next 10-20 years I predict, especially with the capital flight and collaborative efforts from France and China, some companies are making the necessary moves now and are positioning themselves to be in the center of the growth. Infact Africa might end up being a safeguard against the Euro crisis. When Greece causes the mayhem many believe it to, that's when I'll be buying, and buying more. Companies that are primarily locked in the financials and health of the Euro are going to be hit hard, but the ones that weather the storm with growth in emerging markets will be the success stories IMO, and I think this is something Peter Schiff would agree with. I'll honestly try to make an effort to ask him what he thinks about the prospects of Africa on one of his broadcasts. A resource rich continent with low-income workers and a modern communication infrastructure (with growing demand and political stabilization in many countries), I say its worth taking your eyes off the gold, so to speak. Or at least keep your lazy eye on it ;)

Seraphim
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
To the above post - just as an FYI...despite his long term bullishness on emerging markets...Jim Rogers is currently SHORT most emerging markets. Keep that in mind.

libertybrewcity
10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
NEM, KOG, and SDRL

cubical
10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
NEM, KOG, and SDRL

I was looking at SDRL for a while. Got in and out for a quick trade about 3 weeks ago. Will get back in if it takes a meaningful dive.

libertybrewcity
10-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I was looking at SDRL for a while. Got in and out for a quick trade about 3 weeks ago. Will get back in if it takes a meaningful dive.

I made a huge buy at around 20 bucks. The dividend is excellent, the management excellent, and they are trying to be the world's biggest and best. I could see it being a 70 or 80 dollar stock.

enoch150
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I made a huge buy at around 20 bucks. The dividend is excellent, the management excellent, and they are trying to be the world's biggest and best. I could see it being a 70 or 80 dollar stock.

To much debt for my taste. I don't like other people having a first claim on my cash flow. That dividend will get cut to nothing if there's any kind of hiccup in SDRL's numbers, whether that's from faulty execution, an accident, or the global economy tanks.

libertybrewcity
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
To much debt for my taste. I don't like other people having a first claim on my cash flow. That dividend will get cut to nothing if there's any kind of hiccup in SDRL's numbers, whether that's from faulty execution, an accident, or the global economy tanks.

They do have a lot of debt, but I think their position in the industry is much better than their competitors. They have a large amount of rigs and many more on the way. These ultra deepwater rigs fetch contracts of 500k per day. I think their debt is sustainable, and a market crash or "hiccup" effect on the stock and dividend could be offset by demand for drilling in places like Brazil and Asia that will continue drilling no matter what happens.