PDA

View Full Version : 'Firefly' and Anti-Fascism Posters Get Professor Threatened with Criminal Charges on Unive

libertyjam
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
'Firefly' and Anti-Fascism Posters Get Professor Threatened with Criminal Charges on University of Wisconsin Campus

http://thefire.mobify.me/article/13595.html

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 26, 2011—A professor has been censored twice, reported to the "threat assessment team," and threatened with criminal charges because of satirical postings on his office door. Campus police at the University of Wisconsin–Stout (UWS) censored theater professor James Miller's poster depicting a quotation from actor Nathan Fillion's character in the television series Firefly, and the police chief threatened Miller with criminal charges for disorderly conduct. After UWS censored his second poster, which stated, "Warning: Fascism," Miller came to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

"Colleges and universities are supposed to foster brave and bold environments of freewheeling intellectual inquiry and expression. If a quote from a network science fiction show is a bridge too far, something has gone seriously wrong," FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. "As both president of FIRE and a huge Firefly fan, I call on the chancellor of UW–Stout to rein in his overreaching administration and to restore both free speech and basic common sense."

BamaAla
09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Sounds like office politics run amok. I'd be willing to bet that there existed a grudge between the professor and someone in the administration long before this fight occurred and this just happens to be how it comes to a head.

Either way, the guy is getting the wrong end of this one. Hopefully he wins out, but in the end, I'd imagine that he's done at UWS.

libertyjam
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
BamAla- Could be, cannot tell i guess unless actually there, but to me looks more like just another small indication of encroaching police state.

I doubt he is really "done" at UWS over this, esp. considering his being a drama prof.