PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Mitt Romney and Clear channel

torque313
09-25-2011, 02:51 AM
I've worked in the music business quite a while and i've seen many things that have had a negative effect on the music industry but nothing has come close to the horrendous amount of damage caused by Clear channel. No single company in American history has done what they have. I'm lucky to live in Detroit where we still have more privately owned radio stations that haven't fell victim to the Clear Channel takeover of the airwaves than anywhere else that i know of. As a result of the Clear Channel business model an independent record label just about anywhere else cannot afford to pay the stations though the backdoor method of using publicists attached to other corporations buying ad time on their stations. Paying a radio station to play music in this country is illegal yet everybody in the business knows this goes on still to this day, it's how the game is played. This way of doing business has completely stagnated innovation in music because instead of the radio dj playing new music that they think is innovative and good companies like Clear Channel have panels of review that approves or disproves music content. And of course you can all imagine why their "impartial panels" would approve one kind of track over another.

Have you noticed that in the last 15 years or innovation in pop music has come to almost a complete standstill? Have you noticed that you now have around 3 radio station in your city with the exact same song rotations? Have you noticed that talk radio now sounds more like the same station no matter where you have the dial tuned? Most likely what your hearing is Clear Channel.

There is a good documentary out there on clear channel that you all should see called Before The Music Dies
http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies

I know i wont find allot of Mitt Romney lovers on here but if you or anybody you know that is a music lover is on the fence about him you should know that Mitt Romney's company Bain Capital partnered up with Thomas H. Lee Partners to purchase Clear Channel in 2007 as well as has ties to Warner Music Group. So if any of you have any funny ideas that Ron Paul is going to get any serious love on political talk radio you are going to be completely disappointed. Clear channel is the very epitome of an evil media corporation. They are responsible for destroying music culture in the United States. Anybody that is a true lover of music cannot possibly vote for somebody like Mitt Romney. I wish this tie to major media was made more apparent in the public discussion. My crusade for Ron Paul is also one against anything having to do with Clear Channel. I wish there was a "Music Lovers Against Mitt Romney" shirt i would love to buy one of those. This guy is just pure evil IMO and this subject needs to be brought out in the open before this race gets out of hand, he needs to answer some questions on the way this company operates.

ZanZibar
09-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Have you noticed that in the last 15 years or innovation in pop music has come to almost a complete standstill? Have you noticed that you now have around 3 radio station in your city with the exact same song rotations? Have you noticed that talk radio now sounds more like the same station no matter where you have the dial tuned? Most likely what your hearing is Clear Channel.Replace the word "radio" with the phrase "fast food" and it might make a little more sense to you (although admittedly fast food companies don't have to get a government granted monopoly to operate).

But the good news is there are indeed viable alternatives: Internet radio. Thankfully there is competition because radio sucks so much these days with few exceptions.

dan5430
09-25-2011, 11:59 AM
As a musician myself, I support this thread 100%. Seen that movie! Great film!

torque313
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
The part that really bums me out is how in the hell do you fight a guy with a billion dollar bought and paid for nationwide radio propaganda machine?

Ronulus
09-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Clear Channel does suck. I used to listen to a lot of 97.1 The Eagle out of Dallas, they played mostly rock/metal. Now it's all metallica, mixed in with ted nugent's stranglehold about 30 times a day.

eleganz
09-25-2011, 09:30 PM
^^ you go outside and campaign the hell out of Ron Paul, this is currently being planned or done all across America, we just have to do it hard, effectively, and quickly.

sailingaway
09-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm going to put this into opposing candidates before it drops off the page.

Tod
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
thanks, will watch it! And thanks for the info about Romney's ties.

ZanZibar
09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
The part that really bums me out is how in the hell do you fight a guy with a billion dollar bought and paid for nationwide radio propaganda machine?Make phone calls to and go door-to-door at the homes of likely Republican voters using targeted lists. That's how campaigns are won.

torque313
09-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Make phone calls to and go door-to-door at the homes of likely Republican voters using targeted lists. That's how campaigns are won.
I'm starting to wonder
This is a game that may be beyond our means unless we get a media savvy person in his staff that is willing to go on the offensive. I love Ron and i think he would be the best choice but so far the game has been played far too nice with Romney. This guy is at the top and needs to be the sole target pf any sane strategy. It needs to be made clear how incredibly dangerous he is. The guy just oozes with pure evil, there is no way in the universe he could beat Obama. Say what you want about Obama but at least he believes the stuff he's saying whether you agree with him or not but Romney is full of canned responses and i don't even think he believes his own BS. The world will easily see right through how insincere he is.