PDA

View Full Version : US soldier who killed Afghan civilians for sport convicted, gets 7 years in prison

moderate libertarian
09-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Unlike Texas, Idaho probably does not have capital punishment for grave crimes. Obama so far has not commented on this sentence or may have not been asked by news media:

Idaho soldier sentenced to 7 years in prison for Afghan thrill killing; 1 of 5 charged

By Associated Press,
JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. — After tearfully asking for mercy, a 21-year-old Idaho soldier among five charged in the thrill killings of Afghan civilians last year was sentenced Friday to seven years in prison, an Army spokesman said.

Pvt. 1st Class Andrew Holmes sentence comes one day after he changed his plea to guilty in a deal with Army prosecutors. The soldier from Boise, Idaho confessed in court that he fired a heavy machine gun at a startled, unarmed man from 15 feet away after a co-defendant tossed a grenade at him.

The soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle were arrested in Afghanistan last year, after prosecutors said they killed three civilians for sport during patrols in January, February and May of 2010.

Holmes was accused of directly participating in the first killing and was initially charged with conspiracy, premeditated murder and other charges. In a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded guilty to murder by an inherently dangerous act, possessing a finger bone from his victim, and smoking hashish.

“Please give me the opportunity to be a son, a brother, a nephew,” Holmes told Hawks on Friday.

The charges against the five soldiers from what was formerly known as the 5th Stryker Brigade, since renamed the 2nd Stryker Brigade, are among the most serious war crimes charges to emerge from the Afghan war.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/idaho-soldier-sentenced-to-7-years-on-murder-charge-in-afghan-thrill-killing/2011/09/23/gIQAdToBrK_story.html

Seraphim
09-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Convicted of murder and get's 7 years. WOW.

Uriah
09-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm not a fan of the death penalty. But only seven years, are you f***ing kidding me!

Sola_Fide
09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
If you want to get away with murder, become an agent of government. It is the same in all authoritarian countries.

moderate libertarian
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Could get out early for "good behavior":

Holmes’ family cried as judge Lt. Col. Kwasi Hawks read the sentence, prefacing it by telling Holmes that, “I hope and I believe you will have a long and productive life, and I believe a happy life.”

Hawks initially wanted 15 years for Holmes but was restrained by the agreement. Holmes will receive credit for the 499 days he has already been behind bars and could leave prison early on good behavior, the Tacoma News Tribune reported.

Wonder if this Judge would have prefaced the sentencing with same sentiment if this cadidate for "happy life" had killed for thrill someone in his immediate family instead of some poor Afgan family's child?

Obama need to make s statement on this sentence and press needs to ask him just as they used to ask Bush about Abu Ghraib.

Kludge
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Idunno. He's definitely not going to be the same person after seven years. Three years would probably have the same effect. He'll still basically be unemployable, all his friends and family (and then some) know what he did... can't legally own a gun, can't re-enlist... Probably can't get any gov't welfare, and he'll be pretty lucky to get help to get on his feet from whatever's left of his family when he gets out.

ForLiberty2012
09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Idunno. He's definitely not going to be the same person after seven years. Three years would probably have the same effect. He'll still basically be unemployable, all his friends and family (and then some) know what he did... can't legally own a gun, can't re-enlist... Probably can't get any gov't welfare, and he'll be pretty lucky to get help to get on his feet from whatever's left of his family when he gets out.

Are you really sympathizing with a person that killed for sport?? This isn't a video game!

Kludge
09-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Are you really sympathizing with a person that killed for sport?? This isn't a video game!
I'm not sure where you're finding sympathy. I'm not sure prison's that much more effective a punishment than that which'll be waiting for him after he gets out, and I don't see how someone as young as him could spend years in prison and have very similar thoughts to those he had before going in.

moderate libertarian
09-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Hopefully this is not seen as rude question as it is meant to seek clarification. If victim of thrill kill like this was close to you/your loved one, would you have seen 3 years prison term adequate justice for such a crime?

But your point about damage even from 3 years in prison is noted although that kind of assumed scenarios should not be basis for delivering justice fit for an action.

Napolitanic Wars
09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
God this is depressing. This reminds me of the Romans occupying Judea.

TexanRudeBoy
09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Some states allow a maximum of 7 years for simple possession of marijuana...........

heavenlyboy34
09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
If you want to get away with murder, become an agent of government. It is the same in all authoritarian countries.QFT!!! +rep

heavenlyboy34
09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
God this is depressing. This reminds me of the Romans occupying Judea.
Yep. I've noticed that as well. :(

AFPVet
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM

There were likely mitigating circumstances... combat stress induced psychotic episode?

asurfaholic
09-24-2011, 02:01 PM
US Army and DoD is also responsible for killing innocent people.

War Criminal #1 - Obama

lets take care of the real problem, then we dont have to worry about young minds trained in aggressive warfare having psychotic breaks after being exposed to aggressive warfare.

Kludge
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Hopefully this is not seen as rude question as it is meant to seek clarification. If victim of thrill kill like this was close to you/your loved one, would you have seen 3 years prison term adequate justice for such a crime?

But your point about damage even from 3 years in prison is noted although that kind of assumed scenarios should not be basis for delivering justice fit for an action.
Don't think I can really simulate that. Might kill the person myself. Might just move far away. Maybe more likely, I'd wander around aimlessly eating cherry pie filling stuffed inside a burrito wrapper with Nutella until I vomited a few times, get wasted for about a month, then carry on if I survived. Can't imagine going through the slow, sterile environment of a gov't court, though. I'd have a heart attack, I imagine. Anyway, I'd be pretty surprised to learn the victims' families (if even known) were updated on the situation, so I suspect this news only serves to have us talk about how we as a community (or government, I guess...) could do better, whether possible or not. ...Guy'd probably have more allies in prison than among the general public.... I think I'd be happiest knowing he was exiled to a remote village in Afghanistan with no ID or money (with citizenship revoked), and outfitted in his military costume -- let come what will. If that's not possible, I'm not sure there's anything that'd please me. Uh... That's assuming my loved ones and I were Afghanis killed by the same fellow.

Err - but no, I don't think prison or execution in any capacity would be appropriate. He could be serving life in prison and I'd think it too generous.

Imaginos
09-24-2011, 02:40 PM
This sob gets 7 years.
And Bradley Manning gets ????
Welcome to the Fourth Reich.
Surrender your wealth to our wise overlords in Washington.
Fill your brain with toilet filth spewing out of Hollyweird and MSM.
Fight and die for the Military Industrial Complex overseas.
Heil the Reich!
Long live the corporatist police state!

Perry
09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
What was it Martin Sheen said? "Charging people with murder in this place is like handing out speeding tickets at the indy 500".

MJU1983
09-24-2011, 02:56 PM
This sob gets 7 years.
And Bradley Manning gets ????
Welcome to the Fourth Reich.
Surrender your wealth to our wise overlords in Washington.
Fill your brain with toilet filth spewing out of Hollyweird and MSM.
Fight and die for the Military Industrial Complex overseas.
Heil the Reich!
Long live the corporatist police state!

Totally...

youngbuck
09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
A slap on the wrist for murder. Lovely.

Cowlesy
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
I cannot figure out for the life of me why the world doesn't respect us anymore.

olehounddog
09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

And killing just for fun. If that don't make a man cry nothing will. Just the thought of a man's heart being that hard is so sad. And he tearfully asked for mercy.

XNavyNuke
09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
If you want to get away with murder, become an agent of government. It is the same in all authoritarian countries.

Unfortunately, he was in the military. Had he been a Chicago cop he would have gotten off with a manslaughter conviction. The police union would have picked up the tab for his trial defense and subsequent appeals.

XNN

AFPVet
09-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I think that a lot of these guys may have snapped a few times over there. Combat stress from recurring tours... some of them have some serious shit going on in their minds. I believe that this guy realized what he had done.... Yet, they keep sending soldiers over there... what do they expect to happen? Many have committed suicide, snapped, or suffered PTSD.

moderate libertarian
09-25-2011, 03:54 PM
I think that a lot of these guys may have snapped a few times over there. Combat stress from recurring tours... some of them have some serious shit going on in their minds. I believe that this guy realized what he had done.... Yet, they keep sending soldiers over there... what do they expect to happen? Many have committed suicide, snapped, or suffered PTSD.

Good point, incidences like this do not start to happen suddenly in a vaccuum.