PDA

View Full Version : So I was looking into Ireland

Carehn
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Check this out
http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/moneuro.htm
"The whole premise of the Euro is unique in the modern world. Normally, a new currency is created after some sort of political unification. But, the Euro's key purpose is to promote political unification. With everyone using the same money, political harmony will follow. Yes, trade within the Euro zone will be easier without having to deal with exchange rates and bank fees. But, the Euro is above all else a political statement rather than simply a medium of exchange.

With the switchover to the Euro for everyday business, the point was driven home to hundreds of millions of European citizens. Hey, this European business is really serious. It's not just about grabbing subsidies and watching political bigwigs parade in front of the cameras.

The obvious fact is this. Who controls the money controls everything."

Thought it was funny.

james1906
09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Michael Collins spins in his grave.

Elfshadow
09-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a coworker from Croatia. Apparently they are supposed to join the Euro zone in a year or two. She just returned from a trip there and was telling me how pretty much everyone is dreading it and hoping that it crumbles before then because they are sure the prices on everything will jump.

james1906
09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a coworker from Croatia. Apparently they are supposed to join the Euro zone in a year or two. She just returned from a trip there and was telling me how pretty much everyone is dreading it and hoping that it crumbles before then because they are sure the prices on everything will jump.

They won't be on the euro, but they're likely to join the EU soon. Seeing as 20 years ago they were at war to not be in a federation, I don't see why they would want to give up sovereignty again. Croatia's economy also benefited from being the cheap vacation spot in Europe. Much like Prague before them, the tourist dollars will dry up soon.