PDA

View Full Version : No more "last meal" for death row inmates in Texas.

Anti Federalist
09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
You know, costs and all.

Maybe they'll use that money to purchase more DNA testing to exonerate the innocent on death row? Ya think? :rolleyes:

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

It won't be too much longer before the family of an executed political prisoner gets a bill for the bullet that blew their loved one's brains out.

Texas prisons end special last meals in executions

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-prisons-end-special-last-meals-executions-195102056.html

HOUSTON (AP) — It's a tradition with roots that can be traced far back in history: Before being put to death, a condemned prisoner can choose his last meal.

Not so anymore in Texas.

Officials who oversee the country's busiest death chamber stopped the practice on Thursday after a prominent state senator complained about a hefty request from a man executed for his role in a notorious dragging death. Now, inmates get to eat only what the kitchen serves.

The controversy began after Lawrence Russell Brewer, who was executed on Wednesday for the hate crime slaying of James Byrd Jr. more than a decade ago, asked for two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover's pizza, a pint of ice cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts. Prison officials said Brewer didn't eat any of it.

FSP-Rebel
09-23-2011, 08:36 PM
For reals,
The controversy began after Lawrence Russell Brewer, who was executed on Wednesday for the hate crime slaying of James Byrd Jr. more than a decade ago, asked for two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover's pizza, a pint of ice cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts. Prison officials said Brewer didn't eat any of it.
^Completely overboard, one entre is enough.

james1906
09-23-2011, 08:39 PM

I probably wouldn't be too hungry either.

Aratus
09-23-2011, 08:44 PM
what did the guards do... at least eat the meal? in the 1930s
they'd sometimes do that when the prisoner was too nerved up.

eduardo89
09-23-2011, 09:05 PM
what did the guards do... at least eat the meal? in the 1930s
they'd sometimes do that when the prisoner was too nerved up.I wouldn't let a triple meat, bacon cheeseburger go to waste.

Rael
09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
To be fair, this must be really expensive. Last meals for all the executions in Texas could feed a small country...

Smus
09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
I know they're gonna die...but really? Hell, there's a story of a man in CA during the gold rush, he was going to be executed, he wanted fresh maine lobster because he was from the east coast...it took 3 tries and 9 months to finally get one to him.

1 entree is enough, I agree.

Aratus
09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
in lieu of opera or theatre plays, public executions were once a form of public entertainment.
some of the upper crusties felt a tad guilty, so they fed the poor souls for the same reasons
ancient romans wined and dined with gladiators before their often bloody bouts in the arena.