PDA

View Full Version : IRS to begin fingerprinting tax preparers

sluggo
09-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Saves time on booking later.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/IRS-Begin-Fingerprinting-Tax-Preparers-60267-1.html

The Internal Revenue Service plans to start fingerprinting thousands of tax preparers as part of its oversight program and run the fingerprints through an FBI database.

The IRS released more details on its tax preparer oversight program on Wednesday, and said registered tax return preparers would now be required to renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers on an annual basis. In addition, the 15-hour continuing education requirement will take effect next year.
As part of the new guidance, the IRS released Notice 2011-80 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/n-11-80.pdf), which provides that PTINs must now be renewed on a calendar year basis. All PTIN holders must renew their numbers using the online PTIN application or paper Form W-12 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw12.pdf) and pay the required fee, which will be $64.25 for next year, after Oct. 15 and before Jan. 1 on an annual basis.

oyarde
09-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Someone call them on this , how do they justify a yearly $65 fee ? I want to hear it !

oyarde
09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like I probably lost my accountant , I imagine she will just retire . Hopefully her daughter will continue with the plan of taking over the bus.

Anti Federalist
09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Won't be long before that's for all of us.

And of course, nobody will care until it affects them.

Which will be too late at that point.

donnay
09-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Won't be long before that's for all of us.

And of course, nobody will care until it affects them.

Which will be too late at that point.

Some states require biometrics for drivers license and most people acquiesce to it as it is. :mad:

moostraks
09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Some states require biometrics for drivers license and most people acquiesce to it as it is. :mad:

I didn't realize it in Georgia until I went to renew. Then I felt stuck because I had a hostile worker grousing at me for hesitating. I felt really screwed and pressured. Guess there are ways to get around what they have if you wanted to but I, for one, have always regretted not just walking out that day...

Anti Federalist
09-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I didn't realize it in Georgia until I went to renew. Then I felt stuck because I had a hostile worker grousing at me for hesitating. I felt really screwed and pressured. Guess there are ways to get around what they have if you wanted to but I, for one, have always regretted not just walking out that day...

Welcome to the grid, Mundane.

donnay
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Don't beat yourself up too bad about it--"hindsight is 20/20." Sometimes, it is the mistakes we make, that gives us the courage to say "no" to another encroachment on our liberties. This is the conditioning we all must break away from. In all honesty, we all should be saying, "no" to drivers licenses anyway, but I digress.

moostraks
09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the grid, Mundane.

Well I was already sorta on the grid for obstruction. I pissed off a small town officer one day and it was the best retort he had. I actually had to sit in a holding cell and listen to them run through ideas of what they could find me guilty of before they settled on that charge. It was however a small town, so not linked into the grid at the time I got the drivers license, but it probably is linked in now...I more kick myself now for not standing up based on principle kwim???

moostraks
09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Don't beat yourself up too bad about it--"hindsight is 20/20." Sometimes, it is the mistakes we make, that gives us the courage to say "no" to another encroachment on our liberties. This is the conditioning we all must break away from. In all honesty, we all should be saying, "no" to drivers licenses anyway, but I digress.

thanks...true about the licensing