PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a national Garage Sale day to raise money and promote Ron Paul

RonPaulVolunteer
09-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Please, please, PLEASE.... Without getting yourself into debt, max-out with the campaign and then keep donating to RevPAC. Money is low, and it needs to be high. Sell stuff you no longer use. That BBQ you have not touched in 4 years. That tent you used ONCE. Those replaced speakers sitting in boxes in your garage. That old WiFi router, network cables and hub, get rid of them. Those old rims. Ladies, rings, necklaces, pearls, whatever you have that your grandmother gave you but you know you'll never wear it, sell it. We must get serious about being sacrificial with our giving right now. Remember that money at the beginning of a campaign is worth much more than at the end. That jar of coins, that old microwave, the designer dress you hate, the kids, oh no ok, you should keep the kids.

Let's have a national Garage Sale day to raise money and promote Ron Paul.

amy31416
09-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Please, please, PLEASE.... Without getting yourself into debt, max-out with the campaign and then keep donating to RevPAC. Money is low, and it needs to be high. Sell stuff you no longer use. That BBQ you have not touched in 4 years. That tent you used ONCE. Those replaced speakers sitting in boxes in your garage. That old WiFi router, network cables and hub, get rid of them. Those old rims. Ladies, rings, necklaces, pearls, whatever you have that your grandmother gave you but you know you'll never wear it, sell it. We must get serious about being sacrificial with our giving right now. Remember that money at the beginning of a campaign is worth much more than at the end. That jar of coins, that old microwave, the designer dress you hate, the kids, oh no ok, you should keep the kids.

Let's have a national Garage Sale day to raise money and promote Ron Paul.

I'm going to be selling my 115lb jeans at a garage sale soon. :( But it will go for a good cause.

Edu
09-23-2011, 01:37 AM
But if I sell more than 200 items on ebay I will be reported to the FOREIGN, distant, 10 square miles in DC government!

Why?

RonPaulVolunteer
09-23-2011, 10:16 AM
But if I sell more than 200 items on ebay I will be reported to the FOREIGN, distant, 10 square miles in DC government!

Why?

Hu?

kazmlsj
09-23-2011, 10:37 AM
And either advertise on your Yard-Sale sign that it is for the Ron Paul presidential campaign or be sure to tell everyone who comes. :D

RonPaul101.com
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
And either advertise on your Yard-Sale sign that it is for the Ron Paul presidential campaign or be sure to tell everyone who comes. :D

Eh, you can say that you are doing it as part of a Ron Paul national yard sale day and that you need to sell some of your stuff so you can support the campaign, but you can't actually say "The money from you buying this item will be donated to the campaign." or "Buy this shirt for $10 and I'll donate that $10 to the campaign." FEC rules would view that as a straw donation. For example, I'm a maxed out donor who knows you and trusts you 100%... so I offer you $2000 for a used pair of underwear ;) so that YOU can donate MY money since I've maxed out. Remember Ron Paul plays by the rules, and so do we.

I definitely wouldn't write anything down about where your proceeds might go towards; people take pictures, a lot.

Anyway, we did this back in July, and it was successful (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300764-Ron-Paul-2012-Garage-Sale-7-22-to-7-24).

If you get a bunch of folks onboard and you want me to update the website with a new date let me know. http://yardsalemoneybomb.info

Just send me a PM if this takes off and we can all agree on a date; before winter I hope.

lucky_bg
09-23-2011, 11:14 AM
+rep Great idea!

Nate
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
+REP
Bump for good idea

Nate
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Eh, you can say that you are doing it as part of a Ron Paul national yard sale day and that you need to sell some of your stuff so you can support the campaign, but you can't actually say "The money from you buying this item will be donated to the campaign." or "Buy this shirt for $10 and I'll donate that $10 to the campaign." FEC rules would view that as a straw donation. For example, I'm a maxed out donor who knows you and trusts you 100%... so I offer you $2000 for a used pair of underwear ;) so that YOU can donate MY money since I've maxed out. Remember Ron Paul plays by the rules, and so do we.

I definitely wouldn't write anything down about where your proceeds might go towards; people take pictures, a lot.

Anyway, we did this back in July, and it was successful (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?300764-Ron-Paul-2012-Garage-Sale-7-22-to-7-24).

If you get a bunch of folks onboard and you want me to update the website with a new date let me know. http://yardsalemoneybomb.info

Just send me a PM if this takes off and we can all agree on a date; before winter I hope.

also, THIS ^

dbill27
09-23-2011, 01:31 PM
bump

acptulsa
09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Suppose we set up a chipin and advertise it here?

Advantages--if we have great stuff, like my '67 Ludwig snare, to contribute, we're more likely to sell it at a good price with a nationwide audience, and if they chip in, then we send the stuff, it comes off their political donation totals not ours because it was their cash.

We could call it RonBay.

acptulsa
09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
A combination? Physical garage sales locally for common items, unique and specialty items advertised here, and the same chipin for both?

RonPaul101.com
09-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Suppose we set up a chipin and advertise it here?

Advantages--if we have great stuff, like my '67 Ludwig snare, to contribute, we're more likely to sell it at a good price with a nationwide audience, and if they chip in, then we send the stuff, it comes off their political donation totals not ours because it was their cash.

We could call it RonBay.

Its a very lucid idea but how would a buyer's money going into a chipin be tracked against their max contribution limit? Unless the organizer was a PAC it could be a gray area to enforce without a treasurer. Plus advertising here in the forum might just take away money from existing RP donors that would have gone to the campaign anyway. I think the target should be to sell stuff to "other than RP Supporters" because they actually want a shirt, toaster or whatever; and then that new money gets donated and perhaps in the process we've opened some minds to RP2012.

Make sure to hand out slim jims and bumper stockers, etc.,. at the yard sale.

It was successful the last time we went that route. http://yardsalemoneybomb.info

thehighwaymanq
09-23-2011, 01:55 PM
When we first originally discussed the idea in the first thread, we also said give out slim-jims and have RP signs and even if you don't bring in money, it gives you a chance tto talk to neighbors about the election

acptulsa
09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Good points. Nonrefundable campaign donations as payment would work. Set up your computer on your porch.

I still like the idea of a nationwide market for some items, though maybe the forum isn't the place. But what site could get that kind of traffic in an instant, and do we want to go to the trouble to set up a special website for what looks to be a one-weekend event? This forum is searchable enough, I think, to get the job done, if we describe the items in a special thread with no browser blocks on it.

cornell
09-24-2011, 12:45 AM
"But if I sell more than 200 items on ebay I will be reported to the FOREIGN, distant, 10 square miles in DC government!"

That's not right. You get reported to the Feds if you sell more than 200 items AND have sales over $20,000.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
bump