PDA

View Full Version : Huntsman for VP?

Rocco
09-23-2011, 12:18 AM
If we win the nomination, why not Huntsman as the VP choice? He's anti war, seems very fiscally conservative, would bring moderates to us and seems to agree w/ Dr Paul fairly often. Now, granted, I dont know everything about him, so i'd like to hear some input on this idea!

pauladin
09-23-2011, 12:19 AM
no way. he sure as hell didn't mention ron paul as his vice presidential choice during the debate. he chose cain!

Fermli
09-23-2011, 12:19 AM
they all seem fiscally conservative

RonPaulCult
09-23-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't want to bash Huntsman, but we can find somebody more in our camp if we win the nomination. Ron Paul has mentioned The Judge - and I don't see how you could beat that!

rp08orbust
09-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Secretary of State maybe.

sailingaway
09-23-2011, 12:22 AM
He's pro cap and trade and an internationalist. He isn't 'antiwar' overall, necessarily, he is just for coming back from Afghanistan. Not the same thing.

michaelkellenger
09-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Stop talking about VP. It doesn't matter until near the convention! We got to get the nomination first. The VEEP issue is pointless.

CaptainAmerica
09-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Huntsman worked for the Federal Reserve, do your research before you assume anyone is good.

BuddyRey
09-23-2011, 12:32 AM
If Cain didn't hate Muslims so much, he'd make a great VP.

CaptainAmerica
09-23-2011, 12:36 AM
If Cain didn't hate Muslims so much, he'd make a great VP.

He worked for the Federal Reserve.

Johncjackson
09-23-2011, 12:39 AM
As usual, almost everyone misses the point of a VP Choice. So it's pointless to discuss. Hopefully RP doesn't.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Heres one reason:

“I’m sure that him having worked so well with me will be a great asset in any Republican primary.” President Barrack Obama, speaking of John Huntsman.

bluesc
09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
He worked for the Federal Reserve.

And The Judge donated to George H W. Stop being such a purist. Everyone will have something in their past we don't like. No, I don't like Cain or want him anywhere near Ron. I do like Huntsman for Sec. State though.

CaptainAmerica
09-23-2011, 12:41 AM
And The Judge donated to George H W. Stop being such a purist. Everyone will have something in their past we don't like. No, I don't like Cain or want him anywhere near Ron. I do like Huntsman for Sec. State though. Shut up.

amy31416
09-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Huntsman does not seem evil. So, given our political climate these days--thumb's up.

Paul4Prez
09-23-2011, 12:42 AM
That's the deal the Establishment delegates will offer us at the convention. Well, Huntsman or Newt, and I'm sure we don't want Gingrich.

amy31416
09-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Shut up.

You shut up!

P.S. I don't shut up, I grow up. And when I see you, I throw up!

CaptainAmerica
09-23-2011, 12:44 AM
You shut up!

P.S. I don't shut up, I grow up. And when I see you, I throw up! Shut up amy. Go take a look at the 2008 FEC reports and tell me there isn't a banking trend. I don't need some half wit telling me that im too "purist" by not trusting Huntsman. I know what kind of fabric hes cut from.

donnay
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Huntsman worked for the Federal Reserve, do your research before you assume anyone is good.

That's why he picked Cain. Both Federal Reserve buddies!

anaconda
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
This is all I have to say about this:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/huntsman-finishes-opening-day-with-big-haul/

VoluntaryAmerican
09-23-2011, 12:47 AM
And The Judge donated to George H W. Stop being such a purist. Everyone will have something in their past we don't like. No, I don't like Cain or want him anywhere near Ron. I do like Huntsman for Sec. State though.

Negged.... I thought being pure to the ideas of Liberty was the point of supporting Ron? Why would we throw that away on a VP pick for playing politics?

CaptainAmerica
09-23-2011, 12:47 AM
That's why he picked Cain. Both Federal Reserve buddies! Its nice to know that someone has a brain besides me

Article V
09-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Huntsman as VP?

Short answer: No.

amy31416
09-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Shut up amy. Go take a look at the 2008 FEC reports and tell me there isn't a banking trend. I don't need some half wit telling me that im too "purist" by not trusting Huntsman. I know what kind of fabric hes cut from.

Settle down and try to recognize when I'm mocking you for sounding like a 2nd grader.

Johncjackson
09-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Negged.... I thought being pure to the ideas of Liberty was the point of supporting Ron? Why would we throw that away on a VP pick for playing politics?
Ron Paul plays politics, very well. Not sure how supporters can be blind to that. If he didn't want to play politics, he wouldn't be running for POTUS in a major party primary. If he's serious about winning and has the chance to pick a running mate, he's going to need to follow the political tradition and select someone who is a little different, stronger in other areas, and/or appeals to different segments, while also addressing criticisms of Paul. Picking an obscure hero of paleoconservatism ( or whatever segment of Paul's many factions you claimed to hold principled purity) or a semi-celebrity of the "movement" is not going to help.

rp08orbust
09-23-2011, 12:51 AM
A VP is normally chosen to "balance" the presidential ticket so as to maximize the chances of winning the general election. However, in Ron Paul's unique situation where he presents what is probably the most radical challenge to the status quo in US history, I think picking someone who is enough of a carbon copy of himself to eliminate the temptation to assassinate him should be the top priority.

And btw, Andrew Napolitano might do both--he's a near carbon copy of Ron Paul ideologically, but as an Italian Catholic, he might make states like New Jersey contestable in the general election.

TER
09-23-2011, 12:52 AM
now now children. Jon Huntsman will not be the VP so this discussion is moot.

fearthereaperx
09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
A VP is normally chosen to "balance" the presidential ticket so as to maximize the chances of winning the general election. However, in Ron Paul's unique situation where he presents what is probably the most radical challenge to the status quo in US history, I think picking someone who is enough of a carbon copy of himself to eliminate the temptation to assassinate him should be the top priority.

Ron Paul/Alex Jones 2012!

fearthereaperx
09-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Huntsman talks a good game, So did Obama.

Remember Huntsman said we need to bring our troops home, but also have a special forces presence all over the world. It sounds like he's pandering for the anti-war/independant vote. And I am sure he would be down for the newly proposed military 'drone bases' to be spread around the globe.

MJU1983
09-23-2011, 01:09 AM
The key to a Vice Presidential candidate is to bring something to the ticket, strengthen it if you will...

Since I really don't disagree with Ron on anything...I can't think of anyone. :)

BUT, Jim DeMint might be a good choice. Republicans were crying for Mitch Daniels to run, maybe he'd be a good VP to strengthen the ticket?

rp713
09-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Napalitano is a good speaker. he'll be strong in the debates against biden. he'll crush biden with his constitution knowledge alone. NP looks tough and has a strong voice. he'll bring more backbone to the campaign.

Eric21ND
09-23-2011, 02:37 AM
There's better choices out there. Fortuno would actually help us win Florida, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and numerous other areas with Hispanic voters.

1. Luis Fortuno

2. Jim Demint

BamaAla
09-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Seems like there ought to be a poll so we could flesh this out. /s

Kimmie
09-23-2011, 03:10 AM
What about Gary Johnson? Don't you guys like him as VP choice?

John F Kennedy III
09-23-2011, 03:56 AM
If we win the nomination, why not Huntsman as the VP choice? He's anti war, seems very fiscally conservative, would bring moderates to us and seems to agree w/ Dr Paul fairly often. Now, granted, I dont know everything about him, so i'd like to hear some input on this idea!

No.

Rocco
09-23-2011, 07:27 AM
The only person who's even come close to giving an answer that is based on real issues is sailingaway. Other then that, I have yet to see a valid argument against Huntsman on this thread. Cmon guys, we are supposed to be the group who votes based on issues....we're better then what we've shown in this thread.

bb_dg
09-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I have a feeling Huntsman will be the next Jonh McCain.

fearthereaperx
09-23-2011, 07:36 AM
The only person who's even come close to giving an answer that is based on real issues is sailingaway. Other then that, I have yet to see a valid argument against Huntsman on this thread. Cmon guys, we are supposed to be the group who votes based on issues....we're better then what we've shown in this thread.

Huntsman is Obama with an [R] by his name. There's really nothing else you need to know.

UtahApocalypse
09-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Ron Paul should select Ron Paul as Veep since most here obviously don't want to get ALL of the GOP vote and just us Liberty minded folks.

jason43
09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I like Johnson as VP, the judge as a supreme ct justice,

We'd have to build a coalition of some type to win though, whether we like it or not. There are three legs of the republican stool. Maybe even make a new coalition with the left based on foreign policy issues... not really sure. I think the most important thing would be to have people who werent bought and paid for by some lobby in Washington.

huntsman maybe as sec of state? seems like his speaking Chinese may be an asset as we try to move forward with fixing China relations/debt issues.

adams101
09-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Are you kidding about Huntsman? Huntsman served as the Branch Director of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank Board. Better knows as an "underboss" in the banking cartel strangling the country and our government with unprecedented corruption. At this point it is like saying "I was in the mafia but not anymore". Huntsman is also related to Romney for whatever that is worth.

Huntsman has past cap-and-trade support and his reason for flip flopping is "science was undone by lack of economic growth" or basically I don't think for myself. He has a preference for compromise over confrontation, and a pragmatic rather than ideological approach to politics which are both what got us into this mess. He is also pro-amnesty and has significant liberal overtones.

He comes off as a candidate who can suck off moderates and take them out of play from Ron Paul perhaps even planned by Obama as they are close. His tanning booth addiction and stylishness distract from his ability to be believed and make him appear to be a "male tool". Huntsman is fiscally conservative and socially liberal for all the wrong reasons.

I could see this guy being a running mate for Obama as easily as a Republican. He is a waste of space moderate when we need radical presentations and implementation of more radical ideas than the public is used to.

ctiger2
09-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Huntsman is NOT trustworthy. NO to Huntsman.

falconplayer11
09-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I will say this...I trust Jon Huntsman to be a good and just president more than anyone besides Ron Paul and Gary Johnson. He would be my third choice (that is, if I was forced to vote for someon). He seems very wise and thoughtful.

Philadelphia76
09-23-2011, 09:37 AM
He's pro cap and trade and an internationalist. He isn't 'antiwar' overall, necessarily, he is just for coming back from Afghanistan. Not the same thing.

THIS. Huntsman is basically a "George H.W. Bush" internationalist Republican- which is better than the fascist neo-con nutjobs- but still nowhere near Dr. Paul's universe.

JackieDan
09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Huntsman is a good man as well. I have no problem with him.

Philadelphia76
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
The key to a Vice Presidential candidate is to bring something to the ticket, strengthen it if you will...

Since I really don't disagree with Ron on anything...I can't think of anyone. :)

BUT, Jim DeMint might be a good choice. Republicans were crying for Mitch Daniels to run, maybe he'd be a good VP to strengthen the ticket?

Yikes. Hate to say it- but holy assasination temptation Batman! Daniels was the preferred choice of the Bushies and Rove...

DeMint would be great- if he could actually be persuaded to run for VP (which I doubt)...

Rocco
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm still not hearing anybody talk about real ISSUES besides cap and trade, which i think his reasoning for switching his positions on is just. Saying he worked for the fed and using that as your sole excuse is playing politics, purely and simply, and that's not what the movement is about.

The fact of the matter is Huntsman was THE most fiscally conservative governor outside of GJ in the country during his term, he wants to withdraw from the wars, he believes in science (which i know is a factor to many of us), and his economic plan is, quite frankly, outstanding. I don't see a major disagreement he has with Dr Paul at this juncture in terms of policy that actually could be changed. The responses in this thread, quite frankly, leads me to believe that most of you don't have a legitimate reason to dislike him other then that he isnt a "liberty candidate". I'd pick GJ over him, but lets not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Huntsman would be a good selection.

Are you kidding about Huntsman? Huntsman served as the Branch Director of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank Board. Better knows as an "underboss" in the banking cartel strangling the country and our government with unprecedented corruption. At this point it is like saying "I was in the mafia but not anymore". Huntsman is also related to Romney for whatever that is worth.

Huntsman has past cap-and-trade support and his reason for flip flopping is "science was undone by lack of economic growth" or basically I don't think for myself. He has a preference for compromise over confrontation, and a pragmatic rather than ideological approach to politics which are both what got us into this mess. He is also pro-amnesty and has significant liberal overtones.

He comes off as a candidate who can suck off moderates and take them out of play from Ron Paul perhaps even planned by Obama as they are close. His tanning booth addiction and stylishness distract from his ability to be believed and make him appear to be a "male tool". Huntsman is fiscally conservative and socially liberal for all the wrong reasons.

I could see this guy being a running mate for Obama as easily as a Republican. He is a waste of space moderate when we need radical presentations and implementation of more radical ideas than the public is used to.

McChronagle
09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
screw huntsman. im thinking more like Ron paul/clint eastwood

Anti Federalist
09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
No. Establishment. VP. Choices. Wanted.

Paul/Judge Nap
Paul/Ventura
Paul/Jones
Paul/Johnson

All are more acceptable than a Hunstman or any other machine candidate.

Reagan failed to realize this and ended up shot and his VP running a coke and guns racket out of the White House.

Billay
09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
huntsman worked for the federal reserve, do your research before you assume anyone is good.

omg no not the federal reserve!!!!!!!

Rocco
09-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Probably the best answer given yet, but in order to achieve electoral victory I think we'll almost be forced to pick an establishment VP, and of all of them I trust Huntsman the most. Atleast he's willing to talk about real issues and isn't a puppet of the republican establishment. He's not a "say anything to get elected" politician, and seems sincere in his convictions (and has a record to back it up). Of all of the establishment politicians, Huntsman is by far the best.

No. Establishment. VP. Choices. Wanted.

Paul/Judge Nap
Paul/Ventura
Paul/Jones
Paul/Johnson

All are more acceptable than a Hunstman or any other machine candidate.

Reagan failed to realize this and ended up shot and his VP running a coke and guns racket out of the White House.

thehungarian
09-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Hunstman would be the more palatable choice if we're just choosing from the current Presidential field(besides Gary, of course). He is at least giving lip service to bringing troops home, which is more than you can say for the others. His tax policy was endorsed by Cato! Come on guys!

VPs really don't have any power besides the megaphone that comes with the office, so it's more of just an appeasement pick anyways. Still, Judge Nap would be my most preferred choice with Jim DeMint a long second.

Matthew5
09-23-2011, 02:36 PM
A dinner in Manhattan, hosted by Lynn Forester de Rothschild (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/rothschild_family/index.html?inline=nyt-per), was the venue to kickoff Mr. Huntsman’s fund-raising effort.

Nuff said.

Billay
09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Nuff said.

And stormfront donated to Ron Paul. Doesn't mean shit but keep chasing away potential alliances.

Philadelphia76
09-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Probably the best answer given yet, but in order to achieve electoral victory I think we'll almost be forced to pick an establishment VP, and of all of them I trust Huntsman the most. Atleast he's willing to talk about real issues and isn't a puppet of the republican establishment. He's not a "say anything to get elected" politician, and seems sincere in his convictions (and has a record to back it up). Of all of the establishment politicians, Huntsman is by far the best.

I agree that the GOP would be very vocal about who they would want Dr. Paul's VP candidate to be. That said- I'm not at all convinced that Dr. Paul would listen to them. All part of the reason that I think Dr. Paul would need to design a general election strategy with the expectation of very luke-warm to tepid support from the GOP apparatus. That would certainly be high-risk going up against the Obama/DNC machine- but the whole "We the People" v. The Big Government/Establishment narrative that would set-up could play very positively with independents and disenchanted liberals in key swing states IMHO...

Matthew5
09-23-2011, 02:53 PM
And stormfront donated to Ron Paul. Doesn't mean shit but keep chasing away potential alliances.

There's a difference between a donation and hosting your entire fundraising kickoff. There's no denying that connection.

Carole
09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Huntsman is a hybrid Republican-Democrat. He is also believes in Anthropogenic Global Warming.

anaconda
09-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Two powerful general election tickets for different reasons:

Paul/Paul (sweeps all GOP)

Paul/Johnson (sweeps all independents)

Billay
09-23-2011, 04:04 PM
There's a difference between a donation and hosting your entire fundraising kickoff. There's no denying that connection.

Sure and Ron Paul has also endorsed people like Reagan and Don Young. Zomg neo-con war suppoter!

GeorgiaAvenger
09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
No. He is fairly good on foreign policy, excellent on taxes and education, but has too many liberal points. Maybe another ambassador role or cabinet position. But I think Bachmann would pick him.