PDA

View Full Version : Let's Do an Attack Ad!

acptulsa
09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
One thing you can still do for your candidate without the money counting against your contribution limit to your candidate is attack other candidates.

I think we should make and air an ad showing Rick Perry's 'Merck gavem me five thousand and I raised thirty million--I'm insulted you think I can be bought for five grand' answer during the debate, and put this caption at the end:

Rick Perry: He may be easy, but at least he ain't cheap!

This would only be a fifteen second commercial, and at fifteen seconds per airing we could probably buy it a lot of airtime...

Cleaner44
09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Radio and TV ad time is very expensive and requires mass repetition. Randomly blasting it does not work. You have to own dayparts.

Creating a great youtube and spreading it thru social media is the best option, in my opinion.

acptulsa
09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Radio and TV ad time is very expensive and requires mass repetition. Randomly blasting it does not work. You have to own dayparts.

Creating a great youtube and spreading it thru social media is the best option, in my opinion.

Good points, but a simple message can get through without so much repetition if it reaches a large part of the target audience and is very clear. And in this case, especially since it's based on kind of an old joke, the target audience is definitely those old enough to disdain social media. And this age group tends not to disdain taking time to vote.

Article V
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
One thing you can still do for your candidate without the money counting against your contribution limit to your candidate is attack other candidates.

I think we should make and air an ad showing Rick Perry's 'Merck gavem me five thousand and I raised thirty million--I'm insulted you think I can be bought for five grand' answer during the debate, and put this caption at the end:

This would only be a fifteen second commercial, and at fifteen seconds per airing we could probably buy it a lot of airtime...Bachmann is doing this for us. Let her camp struggle with this task for as long as she can.

RonPaul101.com
09-22-2011, 09:26 AM

This would only be a fifteen second commercial, and at fifteen seconds per airing we could probably buy it a lot of airtime...

I think you meant sleazy, not easy...

parocks
09-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Agree. We don't need any "i'm ron paul and i agree with this message". we don't have to affiliate it with any campaign at all. heck, why not just use bachmann attacking perry. I'm not saying to change the commercial. what you have is entirely fine. does it have to look great? no. because it's not ron paul.

parocks
09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Good points, but a simple message can get through without so much repetition if it reaches a large part of the target audience and is very clear. And in this case, especially since it's based on kind of an old joke, the target audience is definitely those old enough to disdain social media. And this age group tends not to disdain taking time to vote.

Here's a piece of info you might be interested in. Mediacom is the cable provider for most of Iowa. They own very little besides Iowa. (Some Georgia, a little WI, IL, AL, FL). Someone should be able to buy all of Mediacom at a reduced rate. You'd hit Iowa cheap, and you'd also get those other states.

http://www.onmediaadsales.com/market_specific.cfm?Map=desmoines&State=iowa

Often, nasty dirty attack ads get free airtime. You air the ad once, and they talk about it on TV once.

KCIndy
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I like it. I would chip in for some air time if you can put something together!

acptulsa
09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Um, never mind. By the time he gets enough of wrecking his own train we'd be 'punching down'. I think he's about to drop right out of Ron's weight class.

acptulsa
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I've got what I think is a better idea.

I've been thinking for a while about how to get the older voters, who should be a natural fit for our man for several good reasons. And I'm very much struck by the way this race is shaping up as us against a many-headed hydra. Just as soon as we chop off one establishment head, it grows another one--like Ron Paul said, the Candidate of the Week. None of them are really different. All of them get that big, fat push from Faux, The Company That Owns the British Government.

In addition, I recently thought about this great, once very popular old song and how much The Greatest Generation and their younger brothers and sisters enjoyed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqvX-n25gs

I say it's time to use this song. And I say we've been running an unconventional campaign this whole time, so why don't we break the rules again and start punching up, down, and sideways all at once? What's more, this idea doesn't require we use any licensed CNN footage whatsoever, just a few stock photos.

We play the song. No announcer at all--let people enjoy Benny Goodman and Patty Page. And we show all those other guys' (and the one gal's) photos with selected lowlights of their voting records displayed. We show them all, and do a slow fade from one to the other, until we've slammed them all. Then we fade to a black screen with this on it: 'Haven't we been led down the garden path long enough?'

Then we show both Paul and Johnson because I don't care if he wants the job or not, I want to draft Johnson for vice president. And we put this below their pictures: 'The cures for what ails this nation are peace, our Constitution and liberty.'

Then we play it only on broadcast channels--cheap time slots nationwide on local stations during Matlock reruns and wherever else we figure we can get it shown to older viewers.

With Johnson also in at the end, and since it's just an attack ad, I do believe RevPac could do it without it cutting into either campaign's spending limits. Benny Goodman and Patty Page will get us both the attention and the sympathy of the target audience. And it could easily be updated as we chop off the heads of this hydra and it grows new ones--like Krispy Christie.

Whatcha think?

InTradePro
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Perry is history now.

If your going to make an ad aim it at multiple choice Mitt or Chris Christie.

acptulsa
09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Perry is history now.

That's one reason I like my second idea better. It excepts only Johnson, and goes after the whole rest of the field. And it can be updated.

acptulsa
09-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Bump.

D.A.S.
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I've got what I think is a better idea.

I've been thinking for a while about how to get the older voters, who should be a natural fit for our man for several good reasons. And I'm very much struck by the way this race is shaping up as us against a many-headed hydra. Just as soon as we chop off one establishment head, it grows another one--like Ron Paul said, the Candidate of the Week. None of them are really different. All of them get that big, fat push from Faux, The Company That Owns the British Government.

In addition, I recently thought about this great, once very popular old song and how much The Greatest Generation and their younger brothers and sisters enjoyed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqvX-n25gs

I say it's time to use this song. And I say we've been running an unconventional campaign this whole time, so why don't we break the rules again and start punching up, down, and sideways all at once? What's more, this idea doesn't require we use any licensed CNN footage whatsoever, just a few stock photos.

We play the song. No announcer at all--let people enjoy Benny Goodman and Patty Page. And we show all those other guys' (and the one gal's) photos with selected lowlights of their voting records displayed. We show them all, and do a slow fade from one to the other, until we've slammed them all. Then we fade to a black screen with this on it: 'Haven't we been led down the garden path long enough?'

Then we show both Paul and Johnson because I don't care if he wants the job or not, I want to draft Johnson for vice president. And we put this below their pictures: 'The cures for what ails this nation are peace, our Constitution and liberty.'

Then we play it only on broadcast channels--cheap time slots nationwide on local stations during Matlock reruns and wherever else we figure we can get it shown to older viewers.

With Johnson also in at the end, and since it's just an attack ad, I do believe RevPac could do it without it cutting into either campaign's spending limits. Benny Goodman and Patty Page will get us both the attention and the sympathy of the target audience. And it could easily be updated as we chop off the heads of this hydra and it grows new ones--like Krispy Christie.

Whatcha think?

I love this idea.

KingNothing
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
There's no need to attack anyone now. Ads have to have a reason. Swinging just to swing... well, that doesn't make sense. You want to expose a weakness in a candidate, and do it powerfully so that the rest of the field will join in and knock the target out.

Going negative just for the sake of going negative isn't a good thing.

acptulsa
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
There's no need to attack anyone now. Ads have to have a reason. Swinging just to swing... well, that doesn't make sense. You want to expose a weakness in a candidate, and do it powerfully so that the rest of the field will join in and knock the target out.

Going negative just for the sake of going negative isn't a good thing.

Did you listen to the song? This isn't going negative for no reason. This is to showcase the difference between our man and all the people trying to steal his positions--thirty years of dependability on those subjects. He is what he says he is, was yesterday, and likely will be tomorrow as well. Not just during electin years. Who else in this race--including the sitting president--can say that?

georgiaboy
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Perfect for the demographic.

My only (small) concern is that this may be used by others to bring out the issue of Ron's age - "old guy uses old song in b&w commercial to attract senior voters" kinda thing.

On the opposite side of this coin, is there another oldie but goodie like this that could be used for positive spin supporting Ron's ideas/candidacy? It'd be nice to have a matched set of ads, one attacking others, the other supporting Ron.

acptulsa
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Perfect for the demographic.

Thanks. And I do think we need that demographic--and there's no logical reason why we can't win them over, if we can just get through the noise they're being fed.

My only (small) concern is that this may be used by others to bring out the issue of Ron's age - "old guy uses old song in b&w commercial to attract senior voters" kinda thing.

Maybe, but anyone--including old folks--likes to be pandered to. We don't need to do the images in black and white. Hell, we could even introduce a little color into the type quoting the lowlights of their voting records and such. And the truth is, that is one catchy song and could appeal to anyone.

On the opposite side of this coin, is there another oldie but goodie like this that could be used for positive spin supporting Ron's ideas/candidacy? It'd be nice to have a matched set of ads, one attacking others, the other supporting Ron.

Can't think of one off the top of my head. Seems like at the time, the advantages of the American system were considered too obvious to enumerate in a song, so they all came out like America the Beautiful. But I'll think about it.

If nothing else, there are great old instrumental tunes that would serve as a great background. Tangerine, for example, or Take the A Train.

acptulsa
09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
You know, I think people underestimate the importance of this demographic. We don't have as little respect for our elders as everyone says we have. They vote. And no one else can look at the kids and say, 'I remember when things worked the way he's describing, and things worked better then.'

We really ought to put some effort into getting their attention.

parocks
09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Perry is history now.

Keep hitting Perry.

He's still in the race. Christie isn't in the race, and likely won't be in the race.

And Perry is easier to hit.

Perry is intrinsically worse than any other.

Until Perry is out of the race, keep hitting Perry.

Tinnuhana
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Two stars on the floor; 48 on the flag.
I wish my mother wasn't so afraid to go on line.

acptulsa
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Two stars on the floor; 48 on the flag.
I wish my mother wasn't so afraid to go on line.

That's why I really want to take the Revolution onto the television--and not cable, either, but broadcast television.

DrWarren
09-29-2011, 07:18 AM
I might like to take a shot at putting together a youTube with the Benny Goodman tune... IF some folks here would collaborate to help script it.

Thoughts?

acptulsa
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Thoughts?

I'm thinking all we need are affordable stock photos of the candidates, and two of the worst votes of each. Otherwise, I still favor the script I suggested in the post.

Cain, of course, has not voting record, but I could see something like, 'Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Plan would raise taxes on the very poorest Americans.'

I'd love some input myself. What are the worst abuses by each candidate in the field. Do we have any Utah people here who have been keeping an eye on Huntsman? Pennsylvanians with favorite reasons to distrust Santorum? Speak up!

acptulsa
09-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Well, if we're to keep this to thirty seconds, they'll have to be short and sweet.

Show Backmann and: Consistently voted for unConstitutional searches without warrants. Or, simply: Voted for the bailouts.

Show Cain and: His 9-9-9 Plan will place a huge tax burden on the poorest of the poor.

Show Gingrich and: The only Speaker of the House ever sanctioned for ethics violations.

Show Huntsman and: Negotiated an unConstitutional alliance with Mexico in aid of employment for illegal migrants.

Show Perry and: Forced dangerous vaccinations against an STD on young girls.

Show Romney and: Oversaw Boston's notoriously corrupt Big Dig.

Show Santorum and: Introduced legislation which prevented the National Weather Service from warning Gulf Coast residents of Hurricane Katrina.

Show Obama and: You know his record. The most principled candidates poll best against him.

Anyone have better choices? Do we need to include other candidates?

idiom
09-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I like this.

acptulsa
10-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I like this.

Thank you. I know we need, and ought to have, the support of the demographic.

Does anyone know for certain if putting two faces at the end will get us off the hook so far as our investment in this not counting against Ron Paul's spending limits or our donation limits to his campaign?