PDA

View Full Version : Why is it I have an easier time converting Democrats?

Elfshadow
09-22-2011, 04:19 AM
I have three, maybe four people switching their registration from democrat to vote for Paul in the primary but the republicans I know refuse to consider him. Its really getting frustrating. I'm coming to think that its because the Democrats are so disillusioned with Obama where as the republicans are blaming him for everything.

CaptUSA
09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Many republicans really believe that to have an effective national security, our government needs to be heavily involved overseas before they come to get us here. Since Ron Paul thinks otherwise, they think he's weak on foreign policy. Funny that they feel the exact opposite when you ask them about the economy.

Then, of course, you have those that blindly follow what the establishment is force-feeding them.

In both cases, you either have to educate them first, or go around the issues by telling them that no matter what policy disagreements you have with Ron Paul, he's the consistent, honest, and principled candidate in the race. The other guys will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get elected. Ron Paul will try to explain to you what he believes - even if it means losing your vote. That usually helps, because they can't deny it.

BuddyRey
09-22-2011, 04:36 AM
It's the same for me. Most people I see defending or supporting Ron, outside of already convinced liberty people, are left-of-center folks who are disenchanted with Obama. I'm an ex-Democrat myself, so maybe I'm just biased, but I think Ron's message is irresistible for honest liberals. Besides that, he's the gateway to Austrian economics and free market thinking, which most Dems would be averse to if it didn't come in an anti-intervention, pro-civil liberties package.

parocks
09-22-2011, 05:58 AM
There is not a contested Democrat Primary.

Obama will win the Democrat nomination.

So, Democrats can vote in the Republican primary in order to have some influence on the process.

Ron Paul appeals to Democrats more than Rick Perry does.

If you're talking to Republicans, they like many of the candidates.

With the antiwar and the legalize marijuana, politicially active Democrat college students really shouldn't be hard to sell on Ron Paul.

Ron Paul has a mix of positions. Some of his positions are liked by most Republicans. Those positions that Republicans like have been copied by other Republican candidates. Some of his positions are liked by Democrats and disliked by most Republicans. Most Republican candidates are not copying those unpopular positions.

Basically, we're talking about foreign policy, war, defense, the middle east and terrorism where Democrats like him, and most Republicans, um, seem reluctant to express their support of Ron Paul on this.

Voluntary Man
09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Great work!

I know it's discouraging. I became frustrated with the knee-jerk, rank and file masses of the Republican party, years ago. Just as there are still "yella dog Democrats," who would vote for a yellow dog before they'd vote for any Republican (the sentiment, if not the expression, goes back to the war between the states and the subsequent military occupation or "Reconstruction"), there is a relatively large segment of Republican voters, who unthinkingly adhere to the notion that anyone who approaches them in a uniform or a business suit is their friend, that any issue presented to them as "pro-military" or "pro-law-n-order" is for their own good, and that if the US doesn't unquestioning defend/promote the modern U.N.-created state of Israel uber alles, then God will turn the US into a pillar of salt (can't imagine whose lobby would promote that line of thinking).
Consequently, many Republicans have been functionally lobotomized, and will defend the status quo, so long as the status quo is believed to be the party platform; They are blind followers, and Hitler could not have asked for a more subservient, unquestioning, unthinking lot.

In truth, I don't know what percentage of the party these worker drones comprise, but it is substantial. Mostly, they're a waste of time; they're the ones who'll still be stoking the Titanic's furnaces, long after the last life-boat has departed.

There may also be the element of pro-establishment vs anti-establishment, in the success you've been having with one group over the other. Many Republicans have allowed themselves to be turned into useful idiots, defenders of the establishment (right or wrong), while many Democrats see themselves as reformers of the status quo, and critics of the existing order. When these Democrats elect someone to reform, but instead witness him perpetuate the established order, they feel betrayed. When they see the establishment ignoring, marginalizing, and attacking Ron Paul, they know the establishment is genuinely threatened by him.

In my experience, concentrating your efforts on truly undecided voters (whether current or future Republicans) is a much better investment of your energy and talent than butting your head against voter prejudice. Most important, though, is mobilization or follow-through: get ' em to the polls!

I have three, maybe four people switching their registration from democrat to vote for Paul in the primary but the republicans I know refuse to consider him. Its really getting frustrating. I'm coming to think that its because the Democrats are so disillusioned with Obama where as the republicans are blaming him for everything.

johnrocks
09-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Because those who think that "spreadin mockracy" and mandating morality from D.C.;in many cases; are batshit crazy.

CaptUSA
09-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Yeah, that's why I say skip the debate on foreign policy with these people. You can try to educate them, but their sentiments are deep-seeded.

Instead, if you come across a conservative, spend the bulk of your time talking about Ron Paul's convictions - not on the issues, but on things like:

He's a doctor - he knows what good medical care is about
He's principled - he doesn't take tax-payer funded junkets and won't take their insurance
He's honest - even if he knows he'll lose your vote, he'll never lie to you
He's consistent - he doesn't waiver from his views
He's a veteran - with more donations from active military than the rest of them combined

When they compare these types of things against the other candidates - even if they don't agree with him on everything - they can't help but to appreciate him.

Really, don't waste too much time trying to convince someone that their beliefs are wrong - that'll just turn them off. If you can't convince them of the issues, convince them of the quality of his character. (In the end, it's the character questions that usually attract the masses.)

iamse7en
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Because the neocons made the Republican party a bunch of naive warmongers. They hijacked the Republican party away from its Taft/Goldwater roots. Free market, strong defense rhetoric, when really they're a bunch of fascists seeking to increase their power through imperialism.