PDA

View Full Version : USDA Secretary: We Must ‘Create Appropriate Transition’ for What Americans Eat

Carole
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
This just makes me seethe. (Maybe this is why some restaurants are now fining people for leaving food on their plates.) :( :rolleyes:

USDA Secretary: We Must ‘Create Appropriate Transition’ for What Americans Eat
By Penny Starr
September 20, 2011
hxxp://cnsnews.com/news/article/usda-secretary-we-must-create-appropriate-transition-what-americans-eat

(CNSNews.com) - U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told members of the National Restaurant Association on Monday that Americans need to “adjust” their tastes so that they like the kind of food the government believes they should eat—and “we have to make sure that what we do is create the appropriate transition.”

“You know, as we deal with this issue of reducing sodium and sugar, it sounds simple to do, but you all know better than I do, it’s not as simple as it sounds,” said Vilsack.

“It’s going to take time for people’s taste to adjust and they will adjust over time, but it will take some time,” he said. “So, we have to make sure that what we do is create the appropriate transition.
"At the end of the day, though, we've got to deal
with this," said Vilsack.
Vilsack’s remarks about Americans’ taste buds came in response to a question about the best way to deal with food waste. He said the Agriculture Department has ongoing research projects to determine how to make nutritious food more appealing so that less of it is wasted.

Vilsack mentioned visiting a Colorado school that was serving children brownies made with black beans. “The kids didn’t even know they were eating a healthier snack,” Vilsack said.

The restaurant trade group is working with the USDA to promote the government’s revised dietary guidelines for Americans.

Restaurants that participate in the voluntary Kids LiveWell program commit to offering healthful meal items for children, with a particular focus on increasing consumption of fruit and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains and low-fat dairy, and limiting unhealthy fats, sugars and sodium.

First Lady Michelle Obama has made childhood obesity her signature issue, launching the administration’s “Let’s Move” program which is dedicated to “solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation.”
On its website, the “Let’s Move” program says that: “Everyone has a role to play in reducing childhood obesity, including parents, elected officials from all levels of government, schools, health care professionals, faith-based and community-based organizations, and private sector companies.”

~~~~~~~

And yet grocery shelves are full of unhealty food with lots of additives, but the fresh food is often so expensive, that it too costly to feed a family on good food for many. :(

raider4paul
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy does the Government think they have the right to do this.

sailingaway
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
He can eat whatever he wants, as long as we don't have to watch.

But doesn't this kinda work against that FDA crony capitalism thing where people aren't alllowed to say Cheerios and blueberries are good for you?

trey4sports
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
ohh god.

Paul4Prez
09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
How about an "appropriate transition" for helping Mr. Vilsack find productive employment in the private sector, after abolishing his current post?

dannno
09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Vilsack mentioned visiting a Colorado school that was serving children brownies made with black beans. “The kids didn’t even know they were eating a healthier snack,” Vilsack said.

Why do I get the feeling they didn't actually ask any of the kids how good the brownies were?

Edit: I guess the black beans replace the flour, not the sugar or chocolate.. hmmm, I might actually have to try this :D

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/black-bean-brownies/detail.aspx

Eleutheros
09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Soylent Green, here we come.

fisharmor
09-21-2011, 05:23 PM
If he had said this 200 years ago, he'd be dead by now.

Mises_to_Paul
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Initiatives such as this are always good to keep in stow, so you can show them to people who think the people who actively protest the advances of the state are "overreacting", "radical", and "[insert mindless buzzword]".

Oh, and there are many reasons why fresh food is becoming increasingly expensive.

kah13176
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM

I call bs. Whenever my school "made things healthier", the best foods were removed from the menu, and the decent foods went from decent to "meh".

Crickett
09-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Unreal. Big brother to the max

awake
09-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Departments here, departments there, departments everywhere.Bureaucratization is the growth of departments and the number of officials who benefit by way of those departments. Safety and security is their sole objective; for themselves that is; to latch on to the tax payer like a tick on a dogs back, never to be scratched or chewed away. Few ever knowing that they were never needed in their "services" at all. Whole lives spent metaphorically digging and filling ditches and sowing toil and snare for their fellow man all for a secure government handout.

You must be forced to pay them, you must understand that they have the right to enslave you in progressive installments, its for your [their] own good.

donnay
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Nancy Reagan gave us the "war on drugs," and Michelle Obama is giving us the "war on food."

Again they never address the REAL issues like MSG, Aspartame and HFCS which is causing this obesity problem. :mad:

Crickett
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Why do I get the feeling they didn't actually ask any of the kids how good the brownies were?

Edit: I guess the black beans replace the flour, not the sugar or chocolate.. hmmm, I might actually have to try this :D

it really does look interesting..:)

Dianne
09-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind, we really have no Federal Government.. Obama and Bush sold us to the United Nations. This country must sacrifice to feed all the starving children throughout the world. The USA must share in the starvation and death. We were immune too long, because we worked, and we cared for our families... Tough shit, time we pay for those that don't work and care for their families.. and don't forget to drop a trillion or two into the "Terrorist's" fund.. Eighty Billion missing in Afghanistan, 60 Billion missing in Iraq (all feared to have fallen into the hands of the terrorists).

That's what the New World Order did for us... Banksters in Europe blow trillions on their pet projects.. Now the US has to print counterfeit dollars to bail them out. You know the Queen must live well, and on the United States taxpayer's back.

Instead of a 4 day "Occupy Wall Street", we should have an "Occupy the White House and Congress" ..... forever !!!!

CTRattlesnake
09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Of course...the government knows you're too dumb to make the right choice, so they're going to do it for you. Give me a break, I cant believe these government bureaucrats. If I want to eat a certain way WHO ARE YOU to tell me not to?

Land of the free?

CTRattlesnake
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Relevant to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xmGK8PEJw

But we need more gov't, right?

rprprs
09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
If he had said this 200 years ago, he'd be dead by now.

lol....or even if he hadn't said it. ;)

09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Shared it on Facebook

kojirodensetsu
09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. If we ban unhealthy food poor people are going to have more trouble buying food. Also grocery stores will take a hit and will probably have to slim down (i.e. laying off workers).

parocks
09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Nancy Reagan gave us the "war on drugs," and Michelle Obama is giving us the "war on food."

Again they never address the REAL issues like MSG, Aspartame and HFCS which is causing this obesity problem. :mad:

yup, talking about how bad sugar is, but not how much worse hfcs is than sugar. And now they get to call hfcs "corn sugar".

donnay
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. If we ban unhealthy food poor people are going to have more trouble buying food. Also grocery stores will take a hit and will probably have to slim down (i.e. laying off workers).

That is no necessarily true. What the government is trying to do is ban healthy food--raids on Amish, and people who farm and ranch organically. Raw milk Vs. Pasteurized milk. Non-GMO foods Vs. GMO Foods. Usher in Codex Ailmetarius. Take away supplements--etc... In a truly free market the The Food Industry would flourish and the people would be the regulators!

linusPAULing
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM

I don't know about black bean brownies.

I had a Japanese dessert called mochi that has a red bean-based filling. While this mochi was from a famous baker in Hawaii and tasted fine, I just couldn't kick the notion that someone slipped some refried beans into my pastry by accident.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/two-ladies-kitchen-hilo

Danke
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Soylent Green, here we come.

This is why I have been stocking up on Tabasco Sauce. It will also help in my retirement to make Alpo go down easier.

pcosmar
09-22-2011, 12:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvsADU2OOWM

LibertyEagle
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
That is no necessarily true. What the government is trying to do is ban healthy food--raids on Amish, and people who farm and ranch organically. Raw milk Vs. Pasteurized milk. Non-GMO foods Vs. GMO Foods. Usher in Codex Ailmetarius. Take away supplements--etc... In a truly free market the The Food Industry would flourish and the people would be the regulators!

Yes, I think this is what it is all about.

Arklatex
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
This is why I have been stocking up on Tabasco Sauce. It also help in my retirement to make Alpo go down easier.

OMG! jajajaja

sratiug
09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
yup, talking about how bad sugar is, but not how much worse hfcs is than sugar. And now they get to call hfcs "corn sugar".

Table sugar and HFCS are essentially the same thing, both are about half fructose which is a toxin to your liver. However, complex carbs screw up your insulin response even more. The total glycemic load from all forms of carbs is what must be reduced to lower the stress on your pancreas to reduce diabetes risk.

oyarde
09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
The USDA and the big , bloated budget they have , needs abolished . Today .