PDA

View Full Version : Police Fine Guy Who Helped Direct Traffic After Light Fails; Leave w/o Handling Traffic

Kludge
09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
"Sometimes it seems that law enforcement is a lot more interested in enforcing the letter of the law than the spirit of the law. Via Radley Balko (https://twitter.com/#!/radleybalko/statuses/113279291705405441), we learn that police in Pasadena California showed up at the intersection of Fair Oaks and Huntington Avenues to issue a ticket to Alan Ehrlich (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/09/09/citizen-ticketed-for-directing-traffic-after-police-fail-to-in-south-pasadena/). Ehrlich's crime? Directing traffic.

Apparently the traffic light went out, leading to backups of more than a mile. It was taking cars more than 30 minutes to get through. Ehrlich decided to help out -- grabbing an orange shirt and some safety flags that he had, and helped direct traffic, apparently clearing up much of the backup in about 10 minutes. It was about that time that the police showed up and issued him a citation. And... at no point did the police decide that maybe they should be directing traffic.

Amazingly, the police chief is defending all of this by saying that the force does "not have the man power" to staff someone there to direct traffic -- but they apparently have the staff to issue a citation to the guy who volunteered to help out."

Article with comments @ http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110917/02111815995/police-ticket-guy-who-helped-direct-traffic-after-traffic-light-failure-then-leave-without-handling-traffic.shtml

AGRP
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
They were insulted that anyone besides them could do their job for free. It's much better to have traffic come to a stand still and put lives in danger if there is an emergency than to prove that they are not needed.

AFPVet
09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't see why they would have a problems with it. He was wearing a reflective vest and had a cone on his flashlight right? So long as he was adhering to proper safety techniques, I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, I would've shook the guys hand and said thanks for keeping the traffic moving until I got here!

TexanRudeBoy
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't see why they would have a problems with it. He was wearing a reflective vest and had a cone on his flashlight right? So long as he was adhering to proper safety techniques, I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, I would've shook the guys hand and said thanks for keeping the traffic moving until I got here!

You must not forget they are there only to enforce the law, not to protect or serve the public. The Supreme Court has affirmed this.

AFPVet
09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
You must not forget they are there only to enforce the law, not to protect or serve the public. The Supreme Court has affirmed this.

In Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the Court merely decided that they were not obligated to "enforce restraining orders". Moreover, this does not prevent departments from having regulations which require that officers serve the public (since they are "public servants")... they just can't be sued for not enforcing such orders. Further, there are still some departments which stick to the old order of things and really do "protect and serve". As a former peace officer, I believe that cops do have a duty to protect and serve... not just enforce the law; however this ruling does set a negative precedent... even though everyone should be able to defend themselves.

evilfunnystuff
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
:mad:

ghengis86
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
What was the citation for? Whatever it is, it should be dismissed post haste.

Icymudpuppy
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
So many of these bad cop stories are in CA.

That state is seriously the most FU in the whole country.

LibForestPaul
09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Even worse, they have wide discretion on enforcement. The officers did not have to issue a citation. Officers are routinely told what to enforce and what not to enforce. Officers are not obligated to enforce every law. (thank god), and they dont.

AFPVet
09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Even worse, they have wide discretion on enforcement. The officers did not have to issue a citation. Officers are routinely told what to enforce and what not to enforce. Officers are not obligated to enforce every law. (thank god), and they don't.

Exactly! It sounds like they were just being douche bags. There are many laws which have discretionary enforcement.

Pericles
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
So many of these bad cop stories are in CA.

That state is seriously the most FU in the whole country.

Ever notice that there are not many of these stories from states where everybody has a sh!t load of guns?

AFPVet
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Ever notice that there are not many of these stories from states where everybody has a sh!t load of guns?

You're right!

Lafayette
09-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Any story involving the police that doesn't end with a mundane or dog being killed or beaten, sad as it may be, is a good one.

Carole
09-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Perhaps he did not belong to the police union. :D

Carole
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Isn't there a law which requires a person to help others in an emergency situation if he is capable of doing so?

Then there is the Good Samaritan rule. :)