PDA

View Full Version : How to buy radio advertising!

Matt Collins
11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Radio advertising on political and commercial Christian stations is VERY effective!!!

If you and/or your meetup group has ANY money, you should spend it on radio advertising.

When creating an ad ask yourself these questions:

What stations will this run on? What is your target audience, conservatives? Liberals? Christians? The anti-war crowd?

That will determine what to say.

There are several types of commercials:
- Name recognition/branding (puts a name or a phrase in your head)
- Informative (tells you his positions)
- Direct action (prompts a response)

Right now we are still unfortunately in the name recognition phase in my opinion. After you run a series of commercials building up his name recognition, you should then begin to explain his positions. As we get a month or less from the primary date, we should then have direct action ads telling people to vote for Ron and why they should do so.

- Name recognition ads should be :30 seconds long to save money.
- Informative ads should be :30 seconds if they are single issue (guns/abortion/war/immigration etc) and :60 seconds if you do more than 1 topic
- Direct action ads can be as short as :15 but usually not longer than :30

Remember - "tell them, then tell them what you've told them, and then tell them again"

Listen to the ad I have attached which was actually created yesterday. This is targeting conservative voters and will be running on a conservative talk radio station here in Nashville. It's a little rushed, but the name "Ron Paul" is repeated 8 times in 30 seconds so it increases name recognition.

http://ultrasonicdesigns.com/mattz/30_second_Ron_Paul_branding_ad_for_conservatives.m p3

Derek Johnson
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Or you could just call the show:

I haven't called the Marx Levin show since Oct 11th, but when I did tonight, I was going to go into a story about my 2 dogs: Ron and Paul...but the weird thing is that his screener dumped me immediately after answering the phone with "Mark Levin"....I think they are on to me....this happened the same way a few more times before I gave up!

But I did get on the neocon loving, fiat money defending John David Wells FOX KLIF 570 AM around 6 central. I went briefly over Bilderberg Gov Rick Perry's desire to maximize The Merck Corporation's shareholder profits and cut straight to Ron Paul and this 11-5 fundraiser. I asked Mr. Wells if he was going to donate $100 to Ron Paul today, and he said he just donated $5000 by letting me say what I said on air. Well, thank you Mr. Wells, but please donate $100 anyway, you have until midnight, REMEMBER REMEMBER!!!!

freedominnumbers
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I checked rates in my market and 30 vs 60 sec rates were almost identical.

Remember to ask for pre-emptible rates to ge the lowest ones.

Matt Collins
11-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Remember to ask for pre-emptible rates to ge the lowest ones.Actually political rates are usually lowest.

In Nashville I'm paying about $75 per :30 for afternoon drive time, and $45 for :30 during morning drive time.

The asshats in Orlando on WDBO wanted $750 per 30 seconds.

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
bump again

BillyDkid
11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Good Stuff. Wow, that's some serious fast talking. Maybe we need to hire that guy who used to do those fast talking ads.

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Good Stuff. Wow, that's some serious fast talking. Maybe we need to hire that guy who used to do those fast talking ads.For the name recognition ad I think it's ok. When we move to issue ads we'll slow down and expand things a bit. For the direct action/request a vote ad we'll speed it up a bit.

european
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
ace example.

contructive criticism:
i want to add :rolleyes: that the ad started off with the right pitch and speed, but after 5 seconds the speed of talking is a little bit to fast i think.
maybe leave out 2 arguments, and use the blank seconds to slow down the talking speed and make everything easy to listen to.

and last but not least: keep up the great work!

Matt Collins
11-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the insight.

RPinSEAZ
11-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Are there any premade :30 and :60 ads we can run?

Austin
11-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Sounds too much like Mrs. Garrison

saahmed
11-07-2007, 03:05 AM
that as is way too fast

Matt Collins
11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Hmmm

Matt Collins
11-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Here is another write up I did about how to market RP in general:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536&page=2

beerista
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Those who have bought ads, how great is the difference between the costs simply for broadcast and the cost for production and broadcast? I've heard, but don't know how accurate it is, that radio stations will produce the ad for no additional cost if you purchase time. Anyone know about this? I'll be calling stations this week and want to go in with as much info as possible.
Thanks.

Matt Collins
11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Those who have bought ads, how great is the difference between the costs simply for broadcast and the cost for production and broadcast? I've heard, but don't know how accurate it is, that radio stations will produce the ad for no additional cost if you purchase time. Anyone know about this? I'll be calling stations this week and want to go in with as much info as possible.
Thanks.

I work at a major conservative FM talk radio station. I have no clue to be honest, but I can do some light production for free. In fact I did for the Philly rally.

beerista
11-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I work at a major conservative FM talk radio station. I have no clue to be honest, but I can do some light production for free. In fact I did for the Philly rally.

I was thinking how much money we might save if there were a talent pool of some who would not mind writing scripts and some who were mellifluous and some who had production skills, etc. I'm thinking that if there were a number of stock 30 and 60 second commercials produced at the same time and touching on different stances and different aspects of the campaign (i.e. name recognition, positions, calls to action) and kept centrally downloadable to be delivered to radio stations by the local meetup coordinator, then we might not have to redouble each other's efforts and costs.
Decent idea? Possible?
Of course, if production is usually just thrown into the bargain, then the point is moot.

Matt Collins
11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I was thinking how much money we might save if there were a talent pool of some who would not mind writing scripts and some who were mellifluous and some who had production skills, etc. I'm thinking that if there were a number of stock 30 and 60 second commercials produced at the same time and touching on different stances and different aspects of the campaign (i.e. name recognition, positions, calls to action) and kept centrally downloadable to be delivered to radio stations by the local meetup coordinator, then we might not have to redouble each other's efforts and costs.
Decent idea? Possible?
Of course, if production is usually just thrown into the bargain, then the point is moot.

If anyone is looking to spend ad money, let me know, and I can get a commercial recorded for them.

Matt Collins
11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
I think there is another professional voice guy on here too.

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
I am bumping this again because I have been accused of not contributing enough to the forums

Rhys
11-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Everyone who can record a radio ad should do so, and we can post them. Then, if someone wants to run the ad, they can just download it.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Everyone who can record a radio ad should do so, and we can post them. Then, if someone wants to run the ad, they can just download it.

The problem is the asinine "FEC COMPLIANCE TAG" that must go at the end of each one.

lupester
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Has anyone read a blog article on the Pat Buchanan site:

http://www.buchanan.org/blog/?p=829

One interesting thing he said was RP should create short 3 minute messages to be played on small radio stations in which RP could have to time get his message across, ask for support, etc... These debates are just to get the MSM sound bites, and Ron doesnt get any time to explain his logic. Could we contact HQ and get Ron to record some of these so we could do a chip-ins for meetup groups to sponsor them to be played on local stations? Any ideas on this?

Regards,
Eric

Matt Collins
11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Pat supports Ron for sure

Matt Collins
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Bump for importance

beachmaster
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
We need some 30 second spots for Panama City Florida radio immediately!

I guess we'll have to put the disclosure tag on it ourselves.

Overall I like the one the OP put up except there's just too much crammed in there and it's extremely rushed. One like that but less rushed would work. We have a lot of bible thumpers here so keep that in mind.

Matt Collins
01-26-2008, 01:19 PM
bump

macdee
01-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Ron Paul Songs on music radio stations? This would be interesting. Would the costs be the same as a radio ad? I think it would be cheaper since it's a song you are paying to get aired.

The songs are available on the Ron Paul Radio website under audio so there's no cost but the air time. We could just pick the right song for the stations format and have it aired.

This effort would be directed towards the "Cool Factor" of the Ron Paul Campaign. While other advertisements would hit on the topics, the great Ron Paul songs could be stirring up interest in Ron Paul and his current die hard supports would get a big inspiration boost.

If it goes well, then song writers will double their efforts in order to get recognition and free radio air time for their songs. Individual Ron Paul supports which are now limited by the 2,300 max could pay for the air time per each song. I've donated all I'm allowed to his official campaign.

I'm ready to pay for the first airing of a Ron Paul song in the Boston radio market. I'm thinking about the largest rock music radio station. I just got to find out the costs and how to do it.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

MacDee

RonneJJones
02-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Are there any premade :30 and :60 ads we can run?
I found this attack ad that can be run:
http://thinkclips.blogspot.com/2008/02/clintons-sold-china-blueprints-to-us.html
Its available for download

All Seeing Eye
02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Great job, I hope everyone is doing this too and taking some advice from you!