PDA

View Full Version : Paul: Santorum wants to start another war

donnay
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Paul: Santorum wants to start another war

Texas Congressman Ron Paul today accused fellow GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum of wanting to carelessly start a war against Iran.

Paul made his comments in an interview on WHO radio. Host Jan Mickelson noted that Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator, had accused Paul in debates of having “an insufficient fear of radical Islam.”

Paul responded: “Yeah, that’s what he says, but I think he maybe has an irrational fear where he’s willing to go to war carelessly. … My interpretation, he’s wanting to go to war against Iran.”

Paul said the United States is basically in six wars already, and we can’t afford it. “And he wants to start a seventh one.”

Paul’s foreign policy stance, which generally opposes military intervention abroad and calls for withdrawing troops stationed around the globe, has been a favorite target for Santorum in the debates.

Here’s a partial transcript from the CNN/Tea Party debate in Florida:

PAUL: First thing I would like to do is make sure that you understand there’s a difference between military spending and defense spending. I’m tired of all the militarism that we are involved in. And we’re wasting this money in getting us involved. And I agree, we are still in danger, but most of the danger comes by our lack of wisdom on how we run our foreign policy.

So I would say there’s a lot of room to cut on the military, but not on the defense. You can slash the military spending. We don’t need to be building airplanes that were used in World War II — we’re always fighting the last war.

But we’re under great threat, because we occupy so many countries.

We’re in 130 countries. We have 900 bases around the world. We’re going broke.

The purpose of al Qaeda was to attack us, invite us over there, where they can target us. And they have been doing it. They have more attacks against us and the American interests per month than occurred in all the years before 9/11, but we’re there occupying their land. And if we think that we can do that and not have retaliation, we’re kidding ourselves. We have to be honest with ourselves. What would we do if another country, say, China, did to us what we do to all those countries over there?

(APPLAUSE)

PAUL: So I would say a policy — a foreign policy that takes care of our national defense, that we’re willing to get along with people and trade with people, as the founders advised, there’s no authority in the Constitution to be the policeman of the world, and no nation-building. Just remember, George Bush won the presidency on that platform in the year 2000. And I still think it’s a good platform.

BLITZER: All right.

(APPLAUSE) BLITZER: Let me let Senator Santorum respond, because I know you strongly disagree.

SANTORUM: On your Web site on 9/11, you had a blog post that basically blamed the United States for 9/11. On your Web site, yesterday, you said that it was our actions that brought about the actions of 9/11.

Now, Congressman Paul, that is irresponsible. The president of the United States — someone who is running for the president of the United States in the Republican Party should not be parroting what Osama bin Laden said on 9/11.

(APPLAUSE)

SANTORUM: We should have — we are not being attacked and we were not attacked because of our actions. We were attacked, as Newt talked about, because we have a civilization that is antithetical to the civilization of the jihadists. And they want to kill us because of who we are and what we stand for. And we stand for American exceptionalism, we stand for freedom and opportunity for everybody around the world, and I am not ashamed to do that.

(APPLAUSE)

BLITZER: Thirty second, Mr. Paul.

PAUL: As long as this country follows that idea, we’re going to be under a lot of danger. This whole idea that the whole Muslim world is responsible for this, and they’re attacking us because we’re free and prosperous, that is just not true.

Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda have been explicit — they have been explicit, and they wrote and said that we attacked America because you had bases on our holy land in Saudi Arabia, you do not give Palestinians fair treatment, and you have been bombing —

(BOOING)

PAUL: I didn’t say that. I’m trying to get you to understand what the motive was behind the bombing, at the same time we had been bombing and killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis for 10 years.

Would you be annoyed? If you’re not annoyed, then there’s some problem.

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/09/20/paul-will-miss-his-council-bluffs-stop/

LirvA
09-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Santorum is a truly sicking individual.

Noob
09-21-2011, 01:43 AM
Sooner or later some country is going to get the same ideal about America...

A Son of Liberty
09-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Paul’s foreign policy stance, which generally opposes military intervention abroad and calls for withdrawing troops stationed around the globe

I'm of course aware of it, but sometimes I'm really stunned by where the dialogue is in this country that the above view is considered radical. Someday, likely in the not too distant future, historians will write of the demise of this country using words like "hubris", "arrogance", and "insanity".

has been a favorite target for Santorum in the debates.

Those historians will point to the words of people like Rick Santorum, and those who admire him as "pro-life".

A sickness has plagued this land...

cindy25
09-21-2011, 05:21 AM
not just Santorum, but also Bachmann, Bolton, Perry.

SilentBull
09-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Just ignore the man.

specsaregood
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Paul made his comments in an interview on WHO radio. Host Jan Mickelson noted that Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator, had accused Paul in debates of having “an insufficient fear of radical Islam.”

That could be a cornerstone of an epic rant by Dr. Paul. The other candidates want the american people to live in a constant state of fear; I on the otherhand would rather the american people enjoy the relaxing benefits of peace.

Or in my words, the other candidates are bunch of p*ssies.

flightlesskiwi
09-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Just ignore the man.

i agree to a certain extent. but ignoring santorum is like ignoring everything that's wrong with the establishment.

brushfire
09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Iran, if Santorum wins:

http://montereybayaquarium.typepad.com/sea_notes/images/2007/12/07/foambeach1_2.jpg

donnay
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
i agree to a certain extent. but ignoring santorum is like ignoring everything that's wrong with the establishment.

I agree, you simply cannot ignore someone that is twisting your beliefs to benefit theirs.

The GOP candidates are nothing but hypocrites.

Here's the skinny on the status quo:
Bachmann worked for the IRS suing tax evaders.
Cain worked for the Federal Reserve.
Newt ran out on two wives that had cancer--I think he would run out on us, too.
Santorum declared that weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) had been found in Iraq. (Besides Santorum is just Bush Lite)
Romney will continue Obama Care for all, but the name will change to Romney Care--he doesn't really want to be President he wants to be CEO of Corporate America.
Perry was Al Gore's campaign manager, he also supported the [Hillary] Clinton Heath Care Plan. He also introduced the scholarship program to allow illegal aliens to get an education with taxpayers money.

Also, people ought to look into the Cameron Todd Willingham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham) death penalty case. One of the reasons I am a strong opponent of the death penalty!!

AGRP
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
He's only giving the murderous blood thirsty public what they've been brainwashed into wanting. Ignore him and keep spreading the truth. The faster we hammer away with the truth, the faster these ass clowns will dig their own graves.