PDA

View Full Version : CT - Judge "Had I known all of what you just told us, I would have voted differently"

Anti Federalist
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Which begs the question:

What is so fucked in the judicial system that pertinent information cannot be brought to light?

Think of this the next time somebody is arguing in favor of capital punishment.

Even considering that part of the judge's decision is based on the fact that the land where Suzette's home once stood is now barren and unused.

Apology Adds An Epilogue To Kelo Case

By JEFF BENEDICT

The Hartford Courant

September 18, 2011

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-op-justice-palmer-apology-20110918,0,5393647.story

If a state Supreme Court judge approaches a journalist at a private dinner and says something newsworthy about an important decision, is the journalist free to publish the statement?

I faced that situation at a dinner honoring the Connecticut Supreme Court at the New Haven Lawn Club on May 11, 2010. That night I had delivered the keynote address on the U.S. Supreme Court's infamous 5-4 decision in Kelo v. New London. Susette Kelo was in the audience and I used the occasion to tell her personal story, as documented in my book "Little Pink House."

Afterward, Susette and I were talking in a small circle of people when we were approached by Justice Richard N. Palmer. Tall and imposing, he is one of the four justices who voted with the 4-3 majority against Susette and her neighbors. Facing me, he said: "Had I known all of what you just told us, I would have voted differently."

I was speechless. So was Susette. One more vote in her favor by the Connecticut Supreme Court would have changed history. The case probably would not have advanced to the U.S. Supreme Court, and Susette and her neighbors might still be in their homes.

Then Justice Palmer turned to Susette, took her hand and offered a heartfelt apology. Tears trickled down her red cheeks. It was the first time in the 12-year saga that anyone had uttered the words "I'm sorry."

It was all she could do to whisper the words: "Thank you."