PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Scott says that Fla. straw poll winner will take White House in '12

Agorism
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Gov. Scott says that Fla. straw poll winner will take White House in '12

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/182187-fla-gov-predicts-florida-straw-poll-winner-will-win-2012-election

"I personally believe whoever wins that straw poll, they will be the next president of the United States," Gov. Rick Scott told Fox News.

LibertyEagle
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Surprise, surprise. A governor trying to make his state more relevant than it is. :rolleyes:

rp08orbust
09-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately he does have (a short) history on his side: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?294454-Winning-Florida-s-Presidency-5-Straw-Poll

bluesc
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
They wouldn't be saying this if they weren't sure Perry is going to win.

This election cycle will not be determined by some straw poll though, but it will get huge press once Perry wins. I wish there was a way to deny him it.

LawnWake
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
If rp08orbust's thread is anything to go by, though, this is still a significant event. How great has the grassroots effort been for this?

Sola_Fide
09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
How are we doing in Florida?

Guitarzan
09-20-2011, 01:56 PM

We suck in Florida.

Also, the Pres 5 straw poll is an insiders poll...not true grassroots.

bobbyw24
09-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Not much better than in 2008 about 5%

Ron does terribly in the Sunshine State

bobbyw24
09-20-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/65072799/Florida-GOP-primary-poll

rp08orbust
09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Also, the Pres 5 straw poll is an insiders poll...not true grassroots.

This is only 25% true. With enough money and effort in the spring, Ron Paul could have dominated among the remaining 75% of the delegates.

Guitarzan
09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
This is only 25% true. With enough money and effort in the spring, Ron Paul could have dominated among the remaining 75% of the delegates.

I don't know all the details. But I do know that I inquired about going...and it would have been $175, plus I would have had to have been "selected" by insiders in order to become a delegate. Am I missing something?

Aratus
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
i'll go the governor of florida one better and i might be more accurate giv3en that i experianced mitt romney governorship rather than jeb bush's! i predict that the future GOP potus was onstage at jim demint's south carolina event or he has kin who was! i predict that the significance of florida is that there may be a future president on the presidency five ballot to a fifty fifty probability and a 90 percent probability theire is to be a future GOP cabinet member or veep person from those on the ballot. john volpe was richard nixon's sec' of transportation guy. herman cain and michele bachmann could easily run the dep't of agriculture even though rick perry is only fit to be an under!secretary due to the "fertilizer" he has spread in his day. ron paul would be an excellent guy to head treasury, for he has never ever taken a bribe in his life! gotta luv the guv of florida's moxie!

mnewcomb
09-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, out of the 3,500 delegates, the state party reserved 300 tickets for the executive committee to hand out. Also, at the local level, each county executive committee reserved 25% of the delegates for them to give out (in Orange County at least). Not only that, but they had their buddies still register for the lottery, so if they got one via the lottery, they didn't have to waste one of their executive committee selections.

In Orange County, out of the 140 (I think) delegates we got, I think Ron Paul people got 20+ (30+ if we are lucky) of those in the lottery. So, I'm optimistic that we will get in the neighborhood of 10-15% of the P5 vote. However, in some counties, they did not need a lottery, so hopefully our Ron Paul activists scooped those up.

For Scott to say that, I too think they know either Perry or Romney will be winning this thing.

rp08orbust
09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't know all the details. But I do know that I inquired about going...and it would have been $175, plus I would have had to have been "selected" by insiders in order to become a delegate. Am I missing something?

You would have been "selected" by random lottery, and based on the low participation rate this year, in most counties you almost certainly would have been selected. You did not need to make a $175 commitment unless you were in fact selected and when your county caucus occurred, by which time you could have raised the $175 with a ChipIn if it was unaffordable.

In past years, campaigns have paid the way for their delegates, just as Ron Paul's campaign paid for the more expensive SRLC tickets in June. If Ron Paul's campaign had spent the money necessary to win the straw poll, it's likely the RPOF would have cancelled it, but still, that would have been money well spent IMO.

Guitarzan
09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
You would have been "selected" by random lottery, and based on the low participation rate this year, in most counties you almost certainly would have been selected. You did not need to make a $175 commitment unless you were in fact selected and when your county caucus occurred, by which time you could have raised the $175 with a ChipIn if it was unaffordable.

In past years, campaigns have paid the way for their delegates, just as Ron Paul's campaign paid for the more expensive SRLC tickets in June.

I see. So 25% of the tickets went to executive committees and the other 75% were handed out via lottery?

I applied...but never rec'd a call.

rp08orbust
09-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I applied...but never rec'd a call.

I believe they only sent out emails about county caucuses.