PDA

View Full Version : Name choices for VP and key Cabinet posts well before Iowa and New Hampshire

morely webb
09-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Suppose Ron were to name his choices for VP and key Cabinet posts such as Secretary of State and Secretary of the Treasury ahead of time, well before the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primaries. Some advantages to this would be:

1. Traditionally, the VP is named for political reasons-- to balance the ticket, appease the Establishment, attract votes from a certain region, etc. I think Ron will have none of this. He will choose for VP someone as consistent and stalwart in support of liberty as he is himself and someone fully competent to take over as President should he die or become incapacitated. Again, his choices for Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense would be persons who would be committed to bringing the troops home and creating peaceful relations with other countries through free trade. In making these choices open ahead of time, Ron would emphasize his message-- if you vote for me, these are the policies I will pursue, and these are the people who will be responsible for carrying out these policies.

2. The persons Ron names would be able to help him campaign in Iowa, New Hampshire, and beyond. I think Rand was effective in helping Ron's campaign before the Iowa Straw Poll. I would think Ron's choices for VP and Secretary of State would be able to get local media publicity and draw crowds for town-hall meetings in the early states. Three or four potential Cabinet members could campaign in different cities and towns in Iowa and New Hampshire and be able to reach more voters than Ron could just by himself.

3. The Republican base does not really understand Ron's views on foreign policy. and it has closed its mind to him, but it might loosen up if it heard these views expressed by potential Cabinet members such as Judge Napolitano.

George ('That's not going to happen') Stephanopoulos and his like in the media may enjoy poking fun at the low poll numbers and the presumption of naming Cabinet choices before getting the nomination. But Ron has always emphasized transparency. These are my policies, these will be my key people, and if you vote for me, this is what you will get. Let's hope we have the last laugh.

jason43
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
The hard part would be to get known politicians to agree to being named before he is the nominee. Some might agree with him, but would be afraid they would be marginalized in the case that Paul doesnt win.

djruden
09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I asked Dr. Paul during a Q&A after a speech whom he would appoint as the next chairman of the federal reserve and he said he would ask Jim Grant.

I'd also like to see Peter Schiff a secretary of Treasury.

sailingaway
09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I think the downside is bigger than the upside unless it is an unusual VP selection that isn't occurring to me.

Krugerrand
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I think the downside is bigger than the upside unless it is an unusual VP selection that isn't occurring to me.

John Mackey - Whole Foods founder

John Mackey wrote a letter in 2006 to all of his staff announcing that he would reduce his own salary to $1 a year, donate his stock portfolio to charity and set up a $100,000 emergency fund for staff facing personal problems. [....] "I am now 53 years old and I have reached a place in my life where I no longer want to work for money, but simply for the joy of the work itself and to better answer the call to service that I feel so clearly in my own heart."

lew
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Jon Hunstman for VP. He's against the wars and is 'respectable' to the media and Washington. He cut taxes a lot as Governor and is a likable guy to moderates. And as VP is a meaningless position anyway, it's good to 'balance' the ticket this way, instead of picking someone 'radical.'

Secretary of State: Karen Kwiatkowski, perhaps

Secretary of the Treasury: Peter Schiff

Secretary of Defense: Michael Scheuer

Attorney General: Andrew Napolitano

White House Chief of Staff: Lew Rockwell

Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers: Walter Williams

Council of Economic Advisers: Thomas Dilorzeno, Thomas Woods, Walter Block, Robert Wenzel, Robert Murphy, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, George Reisman, Ralph Raico, Richard Ebeling, Bryan Caplan

All other Departments (Energy, Education, Interior, Homeland Security, Commerce, Labor, Transportation, etc): Abolish