PDA

View Full Version : Step 1. Register Republican Step 2. Become a Delegate

justinpagewood
09-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm beginning to believe that all this tabling, sign-waving, and voting is completely irrelevant if we don't become delegates in every state and county.

These popular votes are just "token" votes - a reflection of the course of the country. But they don't win elections.

Delegate votes are really the only votes that matter, so why aren't we focusing on becoming delegates?

Justin

TheTexan
09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Some people have mentioned that the delegates in CA don't really matter. Because they're automatic (or something to that extent).

I know that the states differ greatly in how they handle this. I've read the material but I still have questions, hopefully you can answer them. Why is it exactly that we should become delegates?

1) So that when Ron Paul wins votes in the primary, Ron Paul will have delegates available
2) So that maybe we can get "unpledged" delegates?
3) So that we can use the system to our advantage, and if so, how?
4) Something I missed

Could you please clarify which, or all, of those points, are the primary reason for becoming a delegate? Feel free to use a specific state as an example

justinpagewood
09-20-2011, 02:37 AM
I honestly have very little understanding of the process, probably because every single State and County is different, but from my understanding:

1) So that when Ron Paul wins votes in the primary, Ron Paul will have delegates available
Definitely. I think the general election delegates are more relevant, but we need to be part of the Republican Party process, because direct democracy and all that barely exists, especially in the General Election

2) So that maybe we can get "unpledged" delegates?
Yes, this too. There are some token delegates that don't have a candidate preference, and we need to influence those votes and argue that Ron Paul is the most electable, and has the best chance of beating Obama

3) So that we can use the system to our advantage, and if so, how?
Goes along with number two. Elections are not about the popular vote, they're about representative democracy. If we take over the Republican Party, we can ensure that Ron Paul will be the nominee, as well as turn the Republican Party more libertarian for State and Local Elections as well

All in all, if we are serious about winning the election, we have to be involved in the Republican party today. We have to start as early as possible, learn the system, be involved, and influence the Republican Party. We're not a true democratic country. We're a representative democracy.

eleganz
09-20-2011, 03:00 AM
We definitely need delegates to be on the 'inside' so we know they're not 'against' us but from what I understand:

When a candidate wins a particular California district, they get all of the delegates in that district for the GOP convention.

For some reason, the thought is lingering in my head that California is a winner take all state and that whoever wins the majority of the California districts, they get everything...

can somebody clarify? we definitely need California leadership to guide this process, I think they are planning this and haven't told us about it yet.

harikaried
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Are there separate delegates for the republican party and california as a whole (one set for primaries and one set for general)? And what do they do as a delegate outside of voting -- attend meetings, etc? Just curious about the free time between delegate-events to do tabling and sign waving.

ninepointfive
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
It's different by each states. Caucus states are where the delegates absolutely matter. In primary states, you may be either bound or unbound to the winner of the popular vote at the national convention. Check my sig for more information!

At the state conventions is where we elect delegates to the RNC. This truly is where Ron will win. Tabling and parades, and sign wavings are great places to recruit delegates, and introduce them to the process.

We have many enthusiastic supporters. Now we need to have a concerted effort to take those people, and train them to be delegates!

tsai3904
09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
For California, each candidates' campaign will submit a list of 3 delegates and 3 alternate delegates for each congressional district to the Secretary of State. Whoever wins a congressional district will be able to send their 3 delegates for that district to the Republican National Convention.

The Ron Paul campaign will compile a list of 6 people per congressional district. I'm not sure how they'll do it but they will not leave any spots vacant. If they need someone to be a delegate or alternate, I'm sure they'll look for people who signed up to volunteer on the campaign's website.

justinpagewood
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
For California, each candidates' campaign will submit a list of 3 delegates and 3 alternate delegates for each congressional district to the Secretary of State. Whoever wins a congressional district will be able to send their 3 delegates for that district to the Republican National Convention.

The Ron Paul campaign will compile a list of 6 people per congressional district. I'm not sure how they'll do it but they will not leave any spots vacant. If they need someone to be a delegate or alternate, I'm sure they'll look for people who signed up to volunteer on the campaign's website.

Exactly, which is why we cannot take this lightly, and we can potentially become "delegates" for other candidates who are not going to have enough delegate support. I think people need to take some time off of sign waving and do this, because it sounds 100x times more important for winning the election than sign waving and tabling.

tsai3904
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Exactly, which is why we cannot take this lightly, and we can potentially become "delegates" for other candidates who are not going to have enough delegate support. I think people need to take some time off of sign waving and do this, because it sounds 100x times more important for winning the election than sign waving and tabling.

Basically, in California, there's not much to do to become a delegate. Let's say you live in the 1st Congressional District and the Ron Paul campaign has one slot left open. They will contact you and ask if you want to be a delegate. If you say yes, that's it.

Because California is a primary state and delegates are allocated based on results for each CD, it is important to get people in your CD to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. That's all that really matters in CA.

TheTexan
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I believe (based on 5 minutes research at 4 in the morning) that CA has unpledged delegates also. The majority of delegates are your standard run-of-the-mill pledged variety, but being a regular delegate may allow you to influence the unpledged votes.

TexMac
09-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Basically, in California, there's not much to do to become a delegate. Let's say you live in the 1st Congressional District and the Ron Paul campaign has one slot left open. They will contact you and ask if you want to be a delegate. If you say yes, that's it.

Because California is a primary state and delegates are allocated based on results for each CD, it is important to get people in your CD to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. That's all that really matters in CA.Same in NY.