PDA

View Full Version : Private Prisons and slave labor( private prisons lobbied for SB1070 by the way ).......

CaptainAmerica
09-20-2011, 12:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpnRLorw3I&feature=player_embedded

Just bringing this subject up because its dangerous to our liberties since private prisons can lobby our state legislatures to incarcerate more citizens with stupid laws.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-20-2011, 01:25 AM
I think we should differentiate Fascist (private) with Market. I have no problem with Market Prisons. Private Prisons though would be horrendous. (I feel it is confusing to have private mean two different things...we should clarify).

If you (the audience) want to realize the difference Robert Murphy has a great lecture on Mises Media Youtube in regards to the Market for Security.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Just bringing this subject up because its dangerous to our liberties since private prisons can lobby our state legislatures to incarcerate more citizens with stupid laws.

Somebody has to make the kill bots for the MIC.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/03/prisoners-help-build-patriot-missiles/

donnay
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpnRLorw3I&feature=player_embedded

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers."
~Ayn Rand - "Atlas Shrugged", Part II, Chapter 3

Voluntary Man
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
there are some things in life that should not have a profit motive attached to them (e.g., capital punishment and abortion). under our current system, leaving the running of our prison system to the market is very dangerous: private prisons get paid for occupancy, so their incentive for rehabilitation and release is zero. those who run and profit from these prisons will lobby for new crimes, harsher sentencing, and elimination of parole. we already have the largest prison population on the planet. reforms are needed, but more privatization, in this area, would be regressive reform.

I think we should differentiate Fascist (private) with Market. I have no problem with Market Prisons. Private Prisons though would be horrendous. (I feel it is confusing to have private mean two different things...we should clarify).

If you (the audience) want to realize the difference Robert Murphy has a great lecture on Mises Media Youtube in regards to the Market for Security.

Voluntary Man
09-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Read properly, it's impossible to escape the fact that the following law created a nation of slaves.

13th AMENDMENT TO THE US CONSTITUTION:

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for
crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United
States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate
legislation. [2 ]"

...out of the frying pan, and into the fire.