PDA

View Full Version : Citi introducing fees on low-balance bank accounts

Rael
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
(Reuters) - Citigroup Inc said it will start charging a monthly fee on accounts with low balances, joining a growing list of banks seeking to recoup revenue lost under new regulations.

The $10 fee will be waived if a customer completes one direct deposit and one online bill payment per month through an account, or maintains a combined balance of $1,500 in checking and savings accounts, Citigroup said on Friday.

The change takes effect in December.

Citi's change is part of a larger industry push toward regular maintenance fees for retail banking services, particularly for accounts with lower balances. Fees were previously tied to overdrafts and other customer missteps.

Under Citi's current fee structure, customers are not required to maintain minimum account balances but must complete five monthly transactions to avoid a fee of $8.

Citigroup said it will not charge for debit card use or online bill payment.

Stephen Troutner, head of banking products for Citi's U.S. consumer bank, said free debit card use could woo customers from other banks that are weighing whether to charge for debit card use, such as JPMorgan Chase & Co and Wells Fargo & Co.

"Customers have told us in no uncertain terms that is a huge source of irritation," Troutner said.

Some customers are growing weary of higher hurdles to avoid fees and are moving to credit unions and small banks that have not rolled out new fee programs, said Ed Mierzwinski, consumer research director at the Washington-based U.S. Public Interest Research Group.

"It's just harder to achieve free now," Mierzwinski said.

New York-based Citi is the latest bank to tinker with its fee structure following changes in U.S. consumer banking regulations and laws over the last two years.

New regulations -- part of a broad financial sector reform effort -- limit overdraft fees and other penalty fees banks can charge.

In response, many banks have begun introducing monthly service fees for accounts, debit card use and visits to branches.

Bank of America Corp, the largest U.S. bank by assets, added checking account fees last year. The BofA changes include an ebanking account, which allows customers to use ATMs and online banking for free but charges a monthly fee of $7 for teller visits or receiving paper statements.

RCA
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
But the market demanded it right? j/k

steph3n
09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Love it....instead of hitting customers that are bad (overdrafts) for banks and themselves, they punish everyone, all as a response to our stupid govt.

oyarde
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
$120 a year ? Screw that . If I had an account there , I would move it to a local credit union or something ...

Anti Federalist
09-20-2011, 11:09 AM
$120 a year ? Screw that . If I had an account there , I would move it to a local credit union or something ...

Yes, that's right, take your business elswhere...that'll show 'em.

Until they all start charging those fees.

Acala
09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Next will be a fee for not having a bank account at all.

flightlesskiwi
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

part of me responds: :rolleyes:

the other part: :eek:

flightlesskiwi
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zMQI9iO_IE&feature=relmfu

not citi, but still disgusting.

oyarde
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Next will be a fee for not having a bank account at all. That is probably in Obamas new jobs bill with the extra $5 fee for TSA on plane tickets and the $200 fee for vets .

brushfire
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Fkcity - use whatever mangled portions of the free market out there. Take your business elsewhere.

oyarde
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zMQI9iO_IE&feature=relmfu

not citi, but still disgusting. I hate that commercial , the dog is the smartest one in the room.

oyarde
09-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Until they all start charging those fees. True , But I will game it as long as I can , hell , I have probably dumped $8275 in my checking account last month and this month , but by the end of the month , none of it will be there , equaling a low balance ... , no way I would pay a fee for that .

Anti Federalist
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I read somewhere that is exactly what will happen.

Have to see if I can find that.

brandon
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjqy2lJ5yoU

Working Poor
09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I found a debit card that will not charge anything if you have a direct deposit of $500 a month plus will give you $20 to start an account and the person who introduces someone will also get $20 I added it to my FB page and have received over a hundered $$ in referrals which I donated to Ron Paul.

Netspend (https://mynetspendcard.com/prepaid-debit-card/applyNow.m?uref=1185006216) I will continue donating as long as I keep getting referrals to my maximum.

ghengis86
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I read somewhere that is exactly what will happen.

Have to see if I can find that.

Cashless society is the ultimate goal. You already have to have a bank account for some transactions. Cash cannot be tracked as well as credit, though RFID tagged "cash" is also coming. The Borg will assimilate you.

oyarde
09-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Until they all start charging those fees. If it all works out like it should , in the end , there will be a couple of places with no fees and they will get all of the customers , while the others wonder why .

muh_roads
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
What does the frank/dodd bill actually do that caused all these banks to change their rules?

flightlesskiwi
09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
What does the frank/dodd bill actually do that caused all these banks to change their rules?

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/01/05/dodd-frank-already-failing-consumers/

bobbyw24
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Already, Wells and other banks have stripped debit cards of reward points because bankers said they will lose hundreds of millions in revenue after the Federal Reserve decided to lower the fee banks can charge merchants for debit-card transactions.

The Fed's action was required by the Durbin Amendment to the Dodd-Frank legislation that overhauled regulation for the financial-services industry after the mortgage meltdown. Banks were furious about the new restrictions.

Several banks, including Wells Fargo, had warned they were looking for ways to offset lost revenue. One bank was mulling calling a new fee the "Durbin fee" on account statements, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Wells Fargo is introducing the new fee in a milder manner: A simple "important fee change information" emailed to customers, or mailed as an insert with monthly statements.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2011/08/17/us-banks-begin-charging-debit-card-fees/#ixzz1YbwCvNRe

Nate-ForLiberty
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
The point is, they don't want us to have bank accounts. Why?? This ties in to the crash of the dollar. When poor people can no longer afford bank accounts, they will be presented with a government alternative to those *greedy evil bankers (cue evil laugh). A government bank account which will be easily converted over to the new currency when the dollar crashes. For poor people to get their money, they'll have to accept the chip implant or whatever. I bet you'll get the shot right there in the government bank office.

muh_roads
09-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't remember merchant fees ever being a problem for businesses. When was that complained about? Government is retarded. They dictate what a bank can charge a merchant and in the end fuck over the little guy. Awesome.