PDA

View Full Version : Huff Po tries to debunk Ron on foreign policy

No Free Beer
09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-adam-lankford/ron-paul-9-11_b_969112.html

"Studies of suicide terrorists have shown that these attackers' primary motivation is usually not political anger, or even political ideology at all. More commonly, these individuals are struggling with severe personal crises and suicidal tendencies. Psychological assessments of preemptively arrested suicide bombers in Palestine found that more than 50 percent were depressed and 40 percent were suicidal."

Doesn't seem to address the issue...

09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
The author sinks his own argument in the first paragraph. :rolleyes:

JackieDan
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, but that's the suicide people being brainwashed. Al-Qaeda on the other hand have been very explicit..

No Free Beer
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
The comments under are quite hilarious. If you get the chance...read em...

Anti Federalist
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Americans are Jedi Masters at blaming other people for their problems.

Any route will be taken to ensure that we remain virtuous and the "other side" remains the evil villain, no matter how much evidence is presented that the "evil villain" had, in fact, other motivations, other than just being an evil villain.

Not like increased drone attacks in Yemen and Somalia, incinerating people on a weekly basis, could possibly piss anybody off.

2ndfor1st
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
They seriously think they can compare Ron Paul's stance on 9/11 to rape victims?

Let's tear them a new one, we need some comments (logic) over there.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
09-19-2011, 02:15 PM
relax guys... we were wrong and this guy proved it. I mean the real reason is that 40% of suicide bombers are suicidal so I guess we can finally move beyond all this "blowback" nonsense :rolleyes:

jmdrake
09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO62em6iZag

This is how you get got....
(Mos Def rapping about how stupid victims attract attackers).

From Black on Both Sides

Lyrics

Some cats really like to, you know...
Profile and front.
And then the jooks go down, all at once they like...

Don't get me
Don't get me
Don't g-g-g-g-g-get me (repeat 3x)

You're out on the block hustling at the spot...
GOT, this is how you get Got...
At the gamblin' spot and your hand is mad hot...
Out in Brooklyn late night flashing all of your rocks...
Some girl from pink house said "I like you alot"...

This one goes to all them Big Will cats
With ice on they limbs and big rims on they act
You rollin' round town with your system bumped
And your windows cracked low to profile and front
Now I like to have nice things just like you
But I'm from Brooklyn, certain shit you just don't do
Like, high postin' when you far from home
Or like, high postin' when you all alone
Now, this would seem to be clear common sense
But, cats be livin' off sheer confidence
Like "Fuck that, picture them tellin' me run that"
But acting invincible, just ain't sensible
It's nineteen ninety-now, and there's certain individuals
Swear they rollin' hard and get robbed on principle
5 star general, flashin' all your revenue
You takin' a ride on the Downstate medical, Like (whooooooo)
Colorful sparks, yellow and blue
A full on attack and it's happening to you
There's nothing you can do but bust back and cop a plea
But five of them and one of you, that equal Got to me...

Don't get me
Don't get me

Come on ya'll now, let's be real
Some jokers got a rough time keepin' it concealed
I wonder what it mean, it's probably self-esteem
Be fiending to be seen, get hymned like Aberdeen
Cats think it can't happen until the gats start clappin'
They comin' down the wire spittin' fire like a dragon
'Cause while the goods glisten, certain eyes take position
To observe your trick, and then catch that ass slippin'
Like, come on now ock, what you expect?
Got a month's paycheck danglin' off your neck
And while you Cristal sippin', they rubbin' up they mittens
With heat in mint condition to start the getti-gettin'
They clique starts creepin' like Sandanista guerrillas
You screamin' playa haters, these niggas is playa killers
Mr. Fash-ion, that style never last long
The harder you flash, harder you get flashed on
There's hunger in the streets that is hard to defeat
Many steal for sport, but more steal to eat
Cats heavy at the weighin, and they playin' for keeps
Don't sleep, they'll roll up in your passengers seat
There is universal law, whether rich or poor
Some say life's a game, to more, life is war
So put them egos to the side and get off them head-trips
'Fore some cats pull out the heater and make you head-less...

Don't get me
Don't get me

Mises_to_Paul
09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Interesting how the vast majority of depressed and suicidal people live in the Middle East, and seemingly developed their depression once foreign agents occupied their lands.

Brian4Liberty
09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Let's look at the true motivation of the author of this article. He has a recent book entitled "Human Killing Machines: Systematic Indoctrination in Iran, Nazi Germany, Al Qaeda, and Abu Ghraib". Obviously, his true motivation is his desire to kill people in Iran, and he is attempting to achieve this goal by equating Iran with Nazi Germany and al Qaeda. At the same time, he is attacking any US Politician who might not agree with his desire to drop bombs on Iran, for no other reason than his current personal paranoia. No doubt he understands the mind of a mentally disturbed murderer better than most of us.

LibertyEsq
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
So wait, only 40% of suicide bombers are suicidal? Nice article bro

ItsTime
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/7/70/Cool_story_bro.jpg

KingNothing
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
So wait, only 40% of suicide bombers are suicidal? Nice article bro

HA!

surf
09-19-2011, 02:48 PM
at least the comments are good.

acptulsa
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
This goofiness is on HuffPo of all places? Sounds more like a job for green footballs, wonkette or Faux, or some other place with no self-respect.

Diurdi
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone who thinks like he does is a conspiracy theorist. All of the major intelligence agencies are in agreement that US intervention in Saudi-Arabia, Israel and Iraq are the main factors for fueling this terrorism. Many of them also don't see any point in using normal ground forces in these areas.

For the record, they also acknowledge that the Arab spring has been a total disaster, as the intelligence community has lost lots of "great" anti-Al Qaida allies such as Mubarak, Ben Ali and Gaddafi.

amy31416
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Adam Lankford is a criminal justice professor at The University of Alabama.

From 2003 to 2008, he helped coordinate Senior Executive Anti-Terrorism Forums for high-ranking foreign military and security personnel in conjunction with the U.S. State Department’s Anti-Terrorism Assistance program. During this period, ATA hosted delegations from Armenia, Colombia, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Morocco, Pakistan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Uzbekistan.

Dr. Lankford has published on a variety of subjects related to aggression, violence, counterterrorism, and international security. He is also the author of Human Killing Machines: Systematic Indoctrination in Iran, Nazi Germany, Al Qaeda, and Abu Ghraib. His research has been featured by media outlets in a number of countries, including Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Another sleaze cashing in on the Muslim bogeyman.

eleganz
09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
^^ yup, all the people who agree with it will now go and buy his books.

jmdrake
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Adam Lankford is a criminal justice professor at The University of Alabama.

From 2003 to 2008, he helped coordinate Senior Executive Anti-Terrorism Forums for high-ranking foreign military and security personnel in conjunction with the U.S. State Department’s Anti-Terrorism Assistance program. During this period, ATA hosted delegations from Armenia, Colombia, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Morocco, Pakistan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and Uzbekistan.

Dr. Lankford has published on a variety of subjects related to aggression, violence, counterterrorism, and international security. He is also the author of Human Killing Machines: Systematic Indoctrination in Iran, Nazi Germany, Al Qaeda, and Abu Ghraib. His research has been featured by media outlets in a number of countries, including Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Another sleaze cashing in on the Muslim bogeyman.

Interesting find. I wonder what professor Lankford thinks about the fact that the U.S. funded textbooks geared toward radicalizing Afghanistan schoolchildren (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?428-Washington-Post-2002-The-U.S.-pushed-jihad-on-Afghan-schoolchildren.)?

That's why by only focusing on "blowback"[1] we're fighting this PR war with one hand tied behind are backs.

[1] And I'm specifically talking about the "our foreign policy sucks" blowback. The U.S. giving jihadi textbooks to schoolchildren is a different kind of blowback.

Invi
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM
When in need of emotional appeal, compare the issue to blaming rape victims! Cause, yknow, that always works.

misconstrued
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
This just in! Suicide bombers are suicidal...

Pizzo
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
This just in! Suicide bombers are suicidal...

Just 40% of them...

Can't make this stuff up.

amy31416
09-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Interesting find. I wonder what professor Lankford thinks about the fact that the U.S. funded textbooks geared toward radicalizing Afghanistan schoolchildren (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?428-Washington-Post-2002-The-U.S.-pushed-jihad-on-Afghan-schoolchildren.)?

That's why by only focusing on "blowback"[1] we're fighting this PR war with one hand tied behind are backs.

[1] And I'm specifically talking about the "our foreign policy sucks" blowback. The U.S. giving jihadi textbooks to schoolchildren is a different kind of blowback.

Was not aware, thanks & rep.

jmdrake
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Was not aware, thanks & rep.

You'll have to thank Dannno because he found this first. (I know...perish the thought. :D )

Guitarzan
09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Notice that it's a "Dr." writing the article.

Appeal to authority to keep those lefties in line and thinking like they should.

amy31416
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
You'll have to thank Dannno because he found this first. (I know...perish the thought. :D )

Ohhhh...I give him credit where it's due--I've even apologized for being a PITA at least once. :p

eleganz
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
The author is getting destroyed in the comments section, this is just conventional wisdom and even non-RP supporters are backing up his points.

devil21
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I imagine having a drone drop a bomb through the roof of your house, killing your parents and your siblings, would probably lead to some depression and suicidal thoughts. Call me crazy though.

Dark_Horse_Rider
09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
they'll Huff !

and they'll Puff !

and they'll... na, they just Blow

libertybrewcity
09-19-2011, 04:41 PM
looks like AOL is having it's corporate influence on Huffpost..tsk tsk

andrewjs18
09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
The comments on the article seem to be taking care of the logical fallacies the author is spewing out.

Cabal
09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
How is this guy a doctor of anything? What an abysmal fail.

TheTexan
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Suicide bombers... suicidal? YA THINK?

mwkaufman
09-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Generally good to get attacked by the extreme left as a GOP primary candidate.

TheTexan
09-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Studies of suicide terrorists have shown that these attackers' primary motivation is usually not political anger, or even political ideology at all. More commonly, these individuals are struggling with severe personal crises and suicidal tendencies.

Suicidal tendencies do not motivate people to kill others. Murderous tendencies tend to do that.

We have plenty enough of suicides in our country... but the suicides here tend to be of the "overdose on pain killers" or "bullet in the brain" variety, and not so much of the "strap 20 pounds of explosive to my chest and run into a crowd" variety...

and this guy's a doctor?

Carole
09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I laughed while reading the article and then smiled at some of the comments. :)

FriedChicken
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Haven't read all the posts but please explain how only 40% of suicide bombers are suicidal. I try not to find any humor in subjects like these but it hard not to laugh at that statistic.

TheTexan
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Ha:)

Zydeco
09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Exactly. Thank god for the internet and for Ron Paul! Imagine 15-20 years ago when a hooked-in State Department goon like this would be passed off on TV or the big papers as an "expert" and the hooked-in editor would print two or three letters from readers to paint whatever view he liked. Now we can go 100-1 in comments right away and this guy gets exposed for the standard DC sleazeball with his snout in the trough that he so obviously is...