PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how much Howard Dean raised?

RevolutionSD
11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Everyone compares our campaign to his in 04 (even though he had far more media coverage because he cozied up to the CFR), I'm wondering what kind of money he was raising.....anyone know?

Taco John
11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Dean had a $15 million 4th quarter.

tmg19103
11-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Dean was considered much more "mainstream" than RP until the Scream. He got a lot of corporate cash. The rate RP is going with smaller donations from everyday Americans is far more impressive.

Naraku
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Here's an article on it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60457-2004Jan6.html

However, you should remember Dean was also considered a front-runner and got a lot of endorsements outside of his grassroots supporters.

RevolutionSD
11-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Here's an article on it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60457-2004Jan6.html

However, you should remember Dean was also considered a front-runner and got a lot of endorsements outside of his grassroots supporters.

Yes, I think of Howard Dean as more similar to an elitist like Al Gore than a true grassroots candidate like Ron Paul.
Dean ran in the elite circles but was on the fringes and when they decided it was going to be Bush vs. a stooge, they blew up the scream and ended his campaign in the media.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Howard Dean was against gun control... he had some wacky inconsistencies lol

noxagol
11-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I think the dean scream is very telling of how people chose their candidate. The guy lost because of an over giddy vocal noise he made.

Naraku
11-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Here's how insignificant Dean's success is compared to Paul's:

Dean For America (http://www.deanforamerica.com/) -- the presidential campaign organization for former Vermont Governor Howard Dean -- raised $7.4 million online in the third quarter of 2003, Convio, Inc. announced today. That is more than double the amount that the organization generated online in the previous quarter and half of its $14.8 million fundraising total for Q3 2003.

Convio is the leading provider of software and services that help nonprofits and individual-supported organizations use the Internet to reach out to, attract and build strong relationships with constituents to drive support. Since going live with Convio in early April and through the end of September -- less than 180 days, Dean for America has raised $11 million online.

Dean for America has used Convio to:

Develop and update Web pages with engaging content to encourage repeat visits;
Register more than 450,000 people to receive online communications;
Send 6.5 million emails to supporters to keep them involved and solicit contributions;
Arm thousands of volunteers with easy-to-use Internet tools for running their own campaigns to recruit others and solicit contributions; and
Automatically and securely process online credit card donations.

Small and repeat contributions account for a large percentage of the $7.4 million that the Dean campaign raised over the Internet last quarter. The campaign reports that it received 110,786 online contributions from 84,713 supporters, and that the average amount was $61.14.

"The Dean campaign captured the nation's attention at the end of Q2 by announcing it had raised a very impressive $3.6 million online in only 90 days," said Gene Austin, CEO of Convio. "By raising $7.4 million online in the third quarter, the organization has demonstrated that it's possible to not just sustain but significantly surpass this level of constituent support and participation over the Internet. Any group that wants to optimize its fundraising, marketing and constituent communications should be watching what Dean for America is doing online."

Source: Convio.com (http://www.convio.com/site/News2?abbr=news_&page=NewsArticle&id=2600703&news_iv_ctrl=1164)

Dean tried to mobilize grassroots. With Paul it's all random and not being run by the campaign, not to mention the donations are bigger per person and are raised far quicker.

davidhperry
11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
He raised $15 million during the forth quarter - blowing away everyone else.

Here is a relevant reference:
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/123328.html

Perry
11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
I think the dean scream is very telling of how people chose their candidate. The guy lost because of an over giddy vocal noise he made.

Do you actually believe that?:D

JosephTheLibertarian
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
He raised $15 million during the forth quarter - blowing away everyone else.

Here is a relevant reference:
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/123328.html

he also had media attention

syborius
11-05-2007, 11:10 AM

This is silly, he didn't lose because of the dean scream, he lost because the media pre-ordained someone else, it was a self fulfilling prophecy. How can you be on top of the world, and in three days everyone claims you are KO'd It's simple, with a little help from your friends.
Never underestimate the medias influence. That is something that RP is having to deal with, rigged polls. All they can muster against him is skewed polls, and outright lies. That's what we need to overcome, and it won't be easy.

Adamsa
11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Howard Dean was against gun control... he had some wacky inconsistencies lol

That was kind of loveable about him though. :P

rockwell
11-05-2007, 11:16 AM

No he didn't, he lost because the media TOLD us he was unstable and a bad choice and enough people were still drinking the KoolAid back the.

IGNORE THE MSM.

Please.

TIA

DeadheadForPaul
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
This is silly, he didn't lose because of the dean scream, he lost because the media pre-ordained someone else, it was a self fulfilling prophecy. How can you be on top of the world, and in three days everyone claims you are KO'd It's simple, with a little help from your friends.
Never underestimate the medias influence. That is something that RP is having to deal with, rigged polls. All they can muster against him is skewed polls, and outright lies. That's what we need to overcome, and it won't be easy.

Dean lost because the media played the Dean scream something like 500 times in one day and acted like he was an idiot

Dean did not deserve the treatment he received from the media. They were always against him from the get-go and you can tell that they were salivating when the Dean Scream occurred. I watched the speech live with my friends and we honestly did not even notice the Scream until the media REPORTED on it

The media strongly disliked him because he challenged the media conglomerates and he wanted to be the first President in decades to stop aid to Israel

Naraku
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I believe the most likely story is that because Dean and Gephardt kept going at each other and Kerry and Edwards largely stayed out of it, they were giving the bump.

GayRPFan
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Excellent!! and that is the danger to Ron Paul is the MSM we must all be vigilant and ready to pounce on these bastards AND praise them when they are on the right track.

DeadheadForPaul
11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I believe the most likely story is that because Dean and Gephardt kept going at each other and Kerry and Edwards largely stayed out of it, they were giving the bump.

That is true. Also, in the last week in Iowa, the media all of a sudden started pushing Kerry FOR NO REASON. Kerry was basically a joke and no one though he would get anything higher than 4th. I followed the primaries closely and it was clear how the media jumped on his bandwagon. I'm expecting the same kind of thing for Guiliani/Romney in the week before Iowa

paulitics
11-05-2007, 11:26 AM

what is amazing is his supporters seem to throw him under the bus. After the event, the deanics were silent, and nowhere to be found. Some loyalty.

RevolutionSD
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
That is true. Also, in the last week in Iowa, the media all of a sudden started pushing Kerry FOR NO REASON. Kerry was basically a joke and no one though he would get anything higher than 4th. I followed the primaries closely and it was clear how the media jumped on his bandwagon. I'm expecting the same kind of thing for Guiliani/Romney in the week before Iowa

I totally remember that.
Kerry was a loser nobody that had no chance, suddenly he was a "frontrunner". Sort of like how they tried to make Fred Thompson viable and now expect the same with Bloomberg.

Difference is, in 04 the elites wanted Kerry because they knew he could be a great fall guy for Bush. This year they are trying to dilute the vote and make people forget about Ron Paul and consider him "just another republican with no chance." Won't work!

Ninja Homer
11-05-2007, 11:43 AM
The campaigns of Howard Dean and Ron Paul can't really be compared to each other. Howard Dean went down when the MSM turned on him. The MSM has been against Ron Paul from the start. If MSM came out today calling Ron Paul "unstable" it wouldn't change a damn thing about the campaign. There isn't anything they can do to stop it. If they don't start covering Ron Paul honestly, they will lose all credibility and may not even exist in a couple years. The Internet is the new MSM, and Ron Paul supporters own it.

JMann
11-05-2007, 11:43 AM

The media loved Howard Dean and he would of never been in contention if they didn't build him up. What ever the media builds up they can tear down very quickly.

I'm pretty sure that Dean spent his money as quickly as he raised it and was for the most part broke after the scream.

bolidew
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
The campaigns of Howard Dean and Ron Paul can't really be compared to each other. Howard Dean went down when the MSM turned on him. The MSM has been against Ron Paul from the start. If MSM came out today calling Ron Paul "unstable" it wouldn't change a damn thing about the campaign. There isn't anything they can do to stop it. If they don't start covering Ron Paul honestly, they will lose all credibility and may not even exist in a couple years. The Internet is the new MSM, and Ron Paul supporters own it.

Well said!

JosephTheLibertarian
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
so Dean's core dropped him after the scream? lol

Taco John
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM

It's because Democrats are spineless. Not that they don't have folks over there with backbones. But by and large, they are a spineless group who will opt to do the safe thing.

Ron Paul's campaign will attract those with a spine.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
No Invertebrates!

Adamsa
11-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I think he had the energy to go on and beat Bush though, and I'd much prefer Dean to what we have and are going to get from the Democrats.