PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to be associated

runamuck
09-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I think the media has done a good job making people feel like if they support Ron Paul, they're extremists. (Which is outright false, as there is NOTHING extreme about Ron's message. Only extreme in the sense that we've strayed so far from what is truly "normal").

I just found out a few days ago, a friend of mine is a Ron supporter. I'm not great friends with the guy, but I see him here and there. He never struck me as a supporter, and he never made any mention of it when we were together with friends and I'd make points that Ron has made in conversation about current events. Naturally, most of these people are clueless and "don't want to talk politics".

He told me that he doesn't like making a point of telling people because he thinks (his words) "people will think I'm nuts, or exteme."

I think he was happy to have someone he could finally talk with.

What do you guys think about this?

libertyfanatic
09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I know what you mean. A lot of the people that I know think that libertarians are just crazy people who want to legalize drugs and prostitution. They completely overlook the concept of freedom and personal responsibility.

charliem
09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I've been a supporter since 07', and I'm afraid to be associated with many other RP supporters. It's not just the media doing that job.

Isaac Bickerstaff
09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Ron Paul supporters had to turn it up to 11 since the media was ignoring him. Now that the media is no longer in blackout mode but smear mode instead, we need to tone it down a little and be extra normal without hiding the fact that we are, indeed, Ron Paul supporters.

IndianaPolitico
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I've been a supporter since 07', and I'm afraid to be associated with many other RP supporters. It's not just the media doing that job.
Sadly, I have to agree with you. LOL

TheTexan
09-18-2011, 07:07 PM
What's extremist about liberty & self responsibility? :(

Johncjackson
09-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I understand exactly what you are saying. At the same time, Ron Paul does need supporters that aren't necessarily vocal about it. It's good and necessary to have evangelists who are vocal and try to bring other supporters into the fold. However, popular elections are won by masses of casual supporters. A lot of people vote. There are probably more non-voters, but there are quite a few voters too. Most are not vocal about it and many do not talk politics at all. I can think of a great number of acquaintances who probably vote, but I have no idea what their politics are. Reaching these voters so they can make an informed decision is important, but they don't have to be part of political activism. I'm sure there are several million Obama/Bush/McCain/Clinton/Whatever voters who don't want to be associated with their candidates either. Honestly, in the general elections, I think I've only voted for one Presidential candidate I wasn't embarrassed about. And I'm not too proud of my 2000 GOP primary vote, either.

GreenBulldog
09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I wonder how many "closet supporters" are out there?

Regardless, whatever the number is, and if it's large, I hope they all vote.

The "closet supporters" could be one of the reason DRP wins by a huge margin in online polls.

TheTexan
09-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Ron Paul has one stance, from which his positions on all other issues are derived:

People should be free to make their own decisions

That's not extreme. That's constitutional. That's morally right. That's socially responsible. That's compassionate. That's economically productive.

You should stand up for what you believe in, not try to dilute your beliefs so others might buy into it. That's not going to do anyone any good. Tell them the truth, explain your position, and be honest about what you stand for.

Cabal
09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I think strangers who would judge me or think I'm "nuts" without bothering to so much as even attempt to understand why I support Ron Paul are people I wouldn't give the time of day to anyhow. I also think these type of people are likely the type who won't truly consider anything I say or do in trying to explain why I support Ron Paul, as well. So why concern myself with it?

In any case, I'm not one to censor myself or hide who I am just because some stranger might jump to some preconceived conclusion about me. I have a spine. I don't agree with everything every RP supporter says or does, but I still support RP for my own reasons. If that's beyond the comprehension of some... well, there's not much I can do about that. No skin off my ass.

KingNothing
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Ron Paul supporters had to turn it up to 11 since the media was ignoring him. Now that the media is no longer in blackout mode but smear mode instead, we need to tone it down a little and be extra normal without hiding the fact that we are, indeed, Ron Paul supporters.

And we need to be better informed and versed on matters of liberty, economics and foreign policy than everyone else. We need to be able to hold reasoned, polite conversations, confident in the accuracy and morality of our message.

Perry
09-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I think you should have been A Paul supporter 4 years ago.

TheTexan
09-18-2011, 07:23 PM
And we need to be better informed and versed on matters of liberty, economics and foreign policy than everyone else. We need to be able to hold reasoned, polite conversations, confident in the accuracy and morality of our message.

Indeed. Pick up a book sometime. Read Mises, or Robert Pape. Inform yourself so you can inform others.

Working Poor
09-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I see a lot of Ron Paul tee shirts on Mondays now that Monday has been declared Ron Paul tee shirt day.

donnay
09-18-2011, 07:27 PM
“In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.” ~Mark Twain

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!”
~Samuel Adams

09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I voted for RP in 08. I don't really give a crap what other people think of me or label me as.

amy31416
09-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Courage of convictions is seriously lacking in this country, and it shows in our foreign policy, domestic policy and economics.

smithtg
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
ok ive been around here awhile, but I saw something today that was great and for the record ron paul supporters are not nuts. I was looking at one of my wifes posts on facebook after a friend of hers ripped bachman, but then supported Perry later. My wife who I have basically converted puts "ron paul baby!" Not only that but three more of this woman's facebook friends put the same thing. Now these are all texans. Actually one put "ron paul is right" and the other "amen to ron paul."

The support is out there friends, keep working the social sites

amy31416
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
ok ive been around here awhile, but I saw something today that was great and for the record ron paul supporters are not nuts. I was looking at one of my wifes posts on facebook after a friend of hers ripped bachman, but then supported Perry later. My wife who I have basically converted puts "ron paul baby!" Not only that but three more of this woman's facebook friends put the same thing. Now these are all texans. Actually one put "ron paul is right" and the other "amen to ron paul."

The support is out there friends, keep working the social sites

I don't understand the first paragraph. I had a glass of wine, could be me...

runamuck
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I've been supporting Ron since the early days of the '08 election. I'm not the one who needs convincing or understanding of his message. The point of the post, was what do you guys think about the story about this guy? The fact that he is afraid to say he is voting for Ron for fear of being labeled. That tells you a lot about how he's being distorted!

specsaregood
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
somebody posted awhile ago that the C4L had found that people were afraid of saying they supported Dr. Paul on polling calls, etc. As they were afraid of being put on a list/to be identified.

smartguy911
09-18-2011, 08:00 PM

same here

Working Poor
09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
People have disagreed with me all my life. It feels very comforting to know that there are many people who agree with me about what is happening to our economy.

Quite frankly I started seeing this economic crisis during the 90's cause I knew Clinton and Gingrich were giving away our jobs with NAFTA. Back then I had an accountant. I told her what I saw coming. She did not agree and we hotly debated about it.. About 3 months after I told her she called me up raving that I must be a genius to have been able to see what I saw. She worked for a big accounting firm had a fancy degree and was on the deans list blah blah blah you know the type. She also gave me money for telling her what i told her because of the protection she gave her clients and did my taxes for free until she moved. She wanted to know how I could see what I saw I told her I am a simple person and that is how I can see ahead.

I have very few needs and much less desires but freedom is one of my desires. I am not afraid to stand up for my freedom. I am not afraid to tell people what I think. I have made a lot of people very angry in expressing my views over the years. I have a theory about people getting mad over things I say about politics, religion, health, money, goods and services. Although I have always chosen to live with less money than my contemporaries and be freer concerning many things from mothering and relationships, to just choosing happiness over misery and pointing that out has really given me a lot of verbal abuse. People get mad when a lie in their thinking is confronted.

I have a had a few satisfying moments when people have apologized for jumping on my case and acknowledged i was right about something and what made them mad is when they saw what they were loosing by believe what they believed instead of what i believe to be true. So they are more mad at themselves usually...

I almost had a stroke when Bush jr got elected. it was more the way he was elected that was alarming to me and I could not believe people did not raise more hell about it. Especially Florida dam.

i support Ron Paul because I know he is right. As a free, simple ,creative, freedom loving, mind my own business, help friends and family and people on the side of the road, type person that I am; my heart and mind tell me
Ron Paul is right. I am not afraid to stand for what is right.

noneedtoaggress
09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I will absolutely, unabashedly take principles and critical thinking over groupthink any day.

Social pressure can not determine truth, it can only perpetuate lies... just like Democracy can't change the laws of nature.

And if they're more concerned about keeping up appearances than truth, why should I care about their opinion in the first place?

Jingles
09-18-2011, 08:11 PM
I know a lot of people that support Ron Paul, are going to go out and vote for him in the primaries, and etc... They just aren't vocal about politics at all. I have other friends that are very vocal about it. I'm kind of in the middle of both extremes (being extremely vocal and not doing anything). I'm not the guy going around shouting Ron Paul down the street, but I'm not the guy that supports him and doesn't say anything. I just don't like to bring up politics to people that don't want to talk about it. If it comes up in conversation that I can go on forever. I just talk to people that are willing to talk about it. I don't know. I guess I'm just like a normal person lol.

I'm 20 so most people I know/talk to are somewhere between 18 - 30. The norm in this bracket (of the people I have talked to) is you either support Ron Paul or Gary Johnson on the Republican side or you support Obama. Generally anyone that supports lets say Bachmann, Perry, Santorum, or something is more of the oddity. I find it more common to hear, "You support Perry/Bachmann/Cain!? ARE YOU CRAZY!?"

Like my roommate for example is rather independent/undecided, but the only Republican he takes seriously/doesn't think is insane is Ron Paul.

LBennett76
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I do some online gaming (TFC) and decided one day to type in Ron Paul 2012 Restore America Now! It turns out quite a few people on the servers I'm on like Ron Paul. One guy was as hardcore about it as I am, and I'd played with him for 6 months before I knew. lol You just never know were RP supporters'll turn up.

wowrevolution
09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Most people I have talked to like Paul. The more we open up about it, the more comfortable others will be in voicing their support.

Pete Kay
09-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm not shy about my support for Ron Paul. I'm not fervent in my promotion of the fact either. I state my support as a matter of fact without trying to denigrate others or making a big case about the issues. I've talked to other Ron Paul supporters that get riled up way too easy. Nobody wants to be around that. Be calm. Be polite. Others will respond in kind. Brush off the insults that others hurl at Ron Paul. Be an adult. Set an example. Others will feel easier about supporting Ron Paul when they see his supporters are normal, rational people.

Austin
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM

It saddens me that I agree with this statement.

dannno
09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
In my experience it is socially acceptable to be either apathetic or a 'progressive' as long as you don't talk about politics.

Anything else is usually a strike against you.

Hopefully that changes.

lethargiccrash
09-18-2011, 11:47 PM
At work I got on the topic of Ron Paul with this lady who is die-hard Sarah Palin. I mentioned a lot of Ron Paul's main points and she replied:

"Yeah he seems nice, he believes in a lot of what Sarah Palin has to say- maybe she'll pick him as Vice President".

The same thing has been happening with the Bachmann crowd too. I don't know what it is but the tea party has nothing to do with the Ron Paul movement anymore and more to do with Neocons in sheep's clothing.

I try to tell these folks about the real deal but they look at me like I have three heads, what's the deal?

Working Poor
09-19-2011, 06:20 AM
I try to tell these folks about the real deal but they look at me like I have three heads, what's the deal?

maybe it's time to rethink your approach?

GunnyFreedom
09-19-2011, 06:35 AM
At work I got on the topic of Ron Paul with this lady who is die-hard Sarah Palin. I mentioned a lot of Ron Paul's main points and she replied:

"Yeah he seems nice, he believes in a lot of what Sarah Palin has to say- maybe she'll pick him as Vice President".

The same thing has been happening with the Bachmann crowd too. I don't know what it is but the tea party has nothing to do with the Ron Paul movement anymore and more to do with Neocons in sheep's clothing.

I'd be pretty happy. "May be vice president" sounds like a 2nd choice to me. Some of these people will be dropping out. That shows real movement from 08. I take it as a sign of progress and move on. Come back to them in the General :D

scrosnoe
09-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Walk and talk like you own the room and pretty soon you will own the room; Not with arrogance or haughtiness, but with grace and assurance of an idea whose time has come. Heads up folks we are near the tipping point. Remember who brought you to this point and keep promoting the people who stood when no one else stood so that others could see and respond.

Patriot123
09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I unfortunately feel the same way. I try to keep my opinions to myself, especially as a college student, and especially when in class. I feel like if I were talking about supporting Romney or Perry, I'd be fine, and more than openly saying I support them. But right -- I feel the same way this person does. I feel like I'd be called "extreme" and nuts. So I tend to keep my opinions to myself.

I was admittedly surprised, though, a few days ago -- a professor had us submit inspirational quotes that inspired us. Quotes that really meant something to us. I submitted one by Ron Paul -- I wasn't about to lie, after all. I gave a decent explanation, and just plainly talked about why Paul's "Let it not be said that we did nothing" quote was important to me. She put it up on the board, as well as his name. I felt so awesome that day :D

justatrey
09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Judging by the fact that I haven't seen a single bumper sticker or sign yet, I think its safe to assume this is true.

freejack
09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Judging by the fact that I haven't seen a single bumper sticker or sign yet, I think its safe to assume this is true.

I hate to admit it but as I was sticking the official rp bumper sticker on my car this morning, I felt the need to use my body to block what I was doing from passerbys. It's a sad state of affairs that the media has us thinking this way. More reason why the black this out moneybomb needs to be huge!

KingNothing
09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I think those of us who were fighting passionately for Paul last go-round are a bit jaded. Four years ago we were consistently jeered for bringing up his name. It's just not the same now. No one scoffs now. The tone and the narrative differs so drastically this time around that it is going to take us a bit of time to adjust. It is now mainstream to question the economy, government involvement, taxation, regulation and the cost and importance of having a military presence all over the world.

donnay
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
/rant

I am really sick of cowards in the movement too! I have signs in my front yard for Dr. Paul! I wear T-shirts--PROUDLY! All my cars have "Ron Paul" bumper stickers! (Even with the scary MIAC Report and all the fusion centers across the country!). I go to town meetings wearing my shirts, and support Dr. Paul in any capacity I can muster--why? Because I know that liberty and freedom hang in the balance. I know that if we don't grow a pair now, you aren't going to grow a pair when it is needed. I need countrymen to stand up proudly for liberty and freedom, not sneak away to some hovel, hoping no one notices you, until the storm blows over!!

Those who are afraid of the repercussions--C'mon! What repercussions... that you will be labeled something or other? :rolleyes: Haven't you heard the idiom: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never harm you!!"

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"

Everyone in this country rally's upon the ideals of American being the cradle of liberty--well, when the bow breaks the cradle will fall, and so shall this Republic, if you cannot muster enough courage to stand up, with your head held high, for liberty and freedom, and be counted!!

*SIGH*

/end rant

JamesButabi
09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
My perception preceeds my Ron Paul support. If you want to change the outlook of Ron Paul supporters, wear it proudly and it will happen naturally.

godlovzcf
09-19-2011, 09:17 AM
I to am a firm supporter of Ron Paul, have been since 08' but I am not overly vocal about it. Granted no one who asks leaves not knowing where I stand and I have no problem with posting yard signs and bumper stickers. Being a homeschooling, home birthing, doula, raw milk drinking, non-vaccinating mother of 5 their really is just no other candidate who pushes for the freedoms I need to continue living the way I feel I need to.

Merk
09-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Come on folks, be brave! Think of the balls the signers of the Declaration of Independence had. Talk about putting a target on your back... Do folks think they will suffer physical harm by supporting Ron or are they worried about what others think? Stand up for yourselves.

Think what Ron feels every time he walks out onto that debate stage knowing the monkeys will be flinging poo at him? He still goes out there every time knowing he faces scorn and ridicule in front of millions. Why does he do it? For us. Let's return the favor.

Anytime you feel fear remember what Ron is doing, and remember he doesn't have to be doing it.

Or if it helps, think of where the country will be in 4 years if Ron is not elected.

Think of the fear our military feels every time they have to go outside the wire and realize they might die. They still do it, even though many do not believe in the wars. Grow a set and put a sticker on your car, a sign in your yard, wear a shirt. Do those things and feel a little fear so we can get Ron elected and bring the troops home.

We are approaching critical mass.

Carole
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Quite frankly I started seeing this economic crisis during the 90's cause I knew Clinton and Gingrich were giving away our jobs with NAFTA.

Same here and I was convinced this was just the beginning. I voted for Ross Perot when he ran. :D

CaptUSA
09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
You want to know how to combat this?

Each of you has to proudly support Ron Paul wherever you go. If enough of us do this, then it will be increasingly difficult to paint us as outside the mainstream. I can tell you I never get bad comments wearing my shirts.

Sure, they want to paint Paul as being fringe, but if you allow that to happen, how can you blame the media? The only way to come out of the fringe is to stop hiding your support!

jolynna
09-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Sadly, I have to agree with you. LOL

I agree with charliem too.

hubze
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Totally agree. We are working HARD to educate all the people who are going out to other candidates Facebook pages etc and being stupid. Please share this so people know the proper way to promote this positive message. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP9zv1kZU44

ChiefJustice
09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't go publicly out of my way to express my support to be completely honest but I frequently bring him up with my family and my friends are well aware of my RP support due to the poster and bumper stickers in my room and on my car. And yes my friends do laugh...they say he has some good ideas but on others he is way too radical. Thats the general feeling people have about RP IMO (those who know who he is).

runamuck
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Interesting update to share with you guys about this story....

I talked to my friend the other day and he said he was talking to a guy he works with about Ron Paul, and the guy basically accused Ron Paul of being a sleeper terrorist or something along those lines because he didn't think we should kill terrorists (aka "Ala-wacky"). My friend tried to explain to the guy but then he started accusing him of being brainwashed for believing the "crap Ron Paul spews" (something to that affect). He told me that experience made him never want to talk about Ron in public again....

To me, it was one of the saddest stories I've ever heard because it shows how brainwashed everyone ELSE is and how the thought of guaranteed rights, liberty, and the Constitution truly no longer matter to people.

CaptainAmerica
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Ive never been afraid to be associated with Ron Paul, I told everyone in 2007 about Ron Paul's ideas and now in 2011 all those friends who were listening but not taking action are now hardcore Ron Paul supporters. People see the end of the Republic coming soon.

runamuck
10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Ive never been afraid to be associated with Ron Paul, I told everyone in 2007 about Ron Paul's ideas and now in 2011 all those friends who were listening but not taking action are now hardcore Ron Paul supporters. People see the end of the Republic coming soon.

I hope so. My message to my friend was to keep up the fight, and don't quit.