PDA

View Full Version : The Youth, War, and Why Women Should Support Ron Paul [Despite His Views on Abortion]

jaktober
09-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Hopefully this will help communicate to Pro-Choice women, and even "Liberals" why Ron Paul is the best choice for 2012:

http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/the-youth-war-and-why-women-should-support-ron-paul-despite-his-views-on-abortion/

I also have it posted on the Daily Paul, if you like it help me bump it up:

http://www.dailypaul.com/179145/the-youth-war-and-why-women-should-support-ron-paul-despite-his-views-on-abortion

Figure it's getting lost in the Money Bomb and CA Straw Poll excitement (and also because I posted it at midnight).

eleganz
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Honestly, the whole divide on abortion is pretty silly to me. Why do people who believe that women have the right to chose have priority over people who believe a babies' life is sacred? This argument can easily be made the other way around but from what I see, pro-choicers are overly aggressive about a woman's right to choose.

That is why it seems to be that it should, in the end, be left to the states to decide, that way you can just move to a state where you're happier. This seems like a way for everyone to be happy but no, both sides want it to be the whole damn country.

Someone please enlighten me if I'm seeing this the wrong way.

00_Pete
09-18-2011, 05:17 AM
If you couldnt keep your legs closed, fail to use any contraception method or you fail to understand the most basic elementary physics of how fluids react...you shouldnt punish a small baby that cant fight back.

Voluntary Man
09-18-2011, 05:20 AM
does a majority of Republican women favor abortion?

Hopefully this will help communicate to Pro-Choice women, and even "Liberals" why Ron Paul is the best choice for 2012:

http://freeindependentsun.com/republic/the-youth-war-and-why-women-should-support-ron-paul-despite-his-views-on-abortion/

I also have it posted on the Daily Paul, if you like it help me bump it up:

http://www.dailypaul.com/179145/the-youth-war-and-why-women-should-support-ron-paul-despite-his-views-on-abortion

Figure it's getting lost in the Money Bomb and CA Straw Poll excitement (and also because I posted it at midnight).

Oddone
09-18-2011, 05:35 AM
No, the majority of Republican "Christian" women are pro-life. Pro-life is a Republican stance, in almost all cases. My girlfriend always votes Democrat, mostly because of the abortion, pro-choice issue. I have since brought her around to vote for Ron Paul.

Great article by the way! I'll have to share this with a friend who sits on the TEA Fund board (Texas Equal Access Fund). Hate to say it but a lot of the people in the TEA Fund are hardcore femenist who most likely would still reject this entire article.

Fetou
09-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Pro choice is such a poor descriptor. Most people who are militantly for abortion are against choice in every other instance that doesn't even involve ending life. Women want to reserve the right to kill for convenience, but God help you if you choose to be a smoker.

Brett85
09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Why do you assume that women are "pro choice" on the abortion issue? All of the women in my family are pro life, and I don't know of any women who are just enthusiastically pro choice.

Sola_Fide
09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
The idea that all women are pro-abortion is insane, not even remotely true. This is the leftist/collectivist way of looking at the world.

acptulsa
09-18-2011, 09:51 AM
When a person believes deeply that this is murder, is it really the job of a free nation to force them through federal taxes to financially support it? Why shouldn't they be allowed to live in a state that does not without having to leave their native country?

Is this not a liberal position? Does it not embrace the separation of church and state?

IterTemporis
09-18-2011, 09:55 AM
If you couldnt keep your legs closed, fail to use any contraception method or you fail to understand the most basic elementary physics of how fluids react...you shouldnt punish a small baby that cant fight back.

What about when a woman gets raped and ends up getting pregnant? It was not her fault.. This is what I would call the gray area..

acptulsa
09-18-2011, 10:06 AM
What about when a woman gets raped and ends up getting pregnant? It was not her fault.. This is what I would call the gray area..

Dr. Paul has addressed it. He doesn't consider a fertilized egg a fetus--or a person--until it attaches to the uterus wall. So, the 'morning after pill' is the solution to this problem.

Not that he wants to shove this definition down the states' throats. That's just his medical and moral opinion on this subject.

Fredom101
09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Most women will not vote for RP because of the abortion issue.
Is it rational? No. Politics is usually emotional and irrational, facts be damned.

The reason that making the abortion issue a reason not to vote for RP being irrational is this:

About 1% of women have abortions. (I did the stats a few years ago). Out of that 1%, many live in states like CA where abortion has zero chance of ever being made illegal. I would say probably 75% live in states like this. And, for the ones who live in states where abortion MIGHT be made illegal, it will be a tough battle in these states to pass that law. However, if this is indeed looking to come true, the tiny fraction of women who live in these states and consider abortion a major issue for them will have plenty of time to move (I'm not claiming this is ideal but it's far from the coat hanger scenario often portrayed).

Secondly, the statistics show that abortion PALES in comparison to the wars and war on drugs in terms of destroying human life. How someone can call themselves pro-life and still be pro-war is beyond me, lots of mental gymnastics must be done to maintain those two positions.

But again, this is all emotional. "Ron Paul wants to tell me what to do with my body!" is the way it comes across. But without Rudy G this year are there any other pro-choice candidates?

Suzu
09-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Most women will not vote for RP because of the abortion issue.
Is it rational? No. Politics is usually emotional and irrational, facts be damned.

Here's the answer when you run into a woman who thinks abortion is fine, show her this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gQ6Yug4Js&feature=fvsr

Birdlady
09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I posted this on my FB wall late last night before I went to bed and this morning I woke up to "Oh wow I really like Ron Paul" from people I had NO IDEA even knew who he was. This was a really good article for those on the fence and gives them some food for thought.

Thanks for posting this!

Invi
09-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Sharing on FB with all of my pro-choice friends.

gerryb
09-18-2011, 11:50 AM
You shouldn't try to target folks who disagree with you....

libertybrewcity
09-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Abortion is make or break issue for many many people, especially youth. I've had many friends open to the philosophy of liberty, open to free markets and peace, but take one look at social issues and immediately cross him off the list.

Some may look past it, but it still a major hurdle for many.

Suzu
09-18-2011, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure if you were addressing my post but in case you were, here is my comment: I used to think abortion was a non-issue and simply wished it was never politicized at all. I thought, hey, if a woman wants to abort, that's her business. Then I watched the video I posted above, and like so many others who've watched it, my opinion immediately changed.

The truth is that most if not all people who support abortion simply do not know what it entails. The video makes that clear, without coming down on either side of the issue. Once you know how an abortion actually takes place, there is no way to go back to thinking it's acceptable.

MelissaWV
09-18-2011, 12:02 PM

I would say the opposite is true, or else how will anyone new ever come to support Dr. Paul?

realtonygoodwin
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't (and neither would my wife and other women in my family) even consider voting for Ron Paul if he wasn't pro-life.

Nirvikalpa
09-18-2011, 12:12 PM

http://i.imgur.com/6pUok.jpg

00_Pete
09-18-2011, 12:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6pUok.jpg

eheheh...message received.

jaktober
09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Another reader made this point, to which I did the research and found that more women are actually Pro-Life than Pro-Choice (48%-45% in 2010).

There is a decent exchange in the comment section of the article (and on the post on the Daily Paul) covering this. My target was Progressive-Women, or Pro-Choice women specifically. Decided to let the conversation clarify the issue (rather than editing the article).

It is a very valid point, and I actually thought about it before posting, I just realized that trying to get the article perfect would keep me on it for too long, and may have prevented me from publishing it.

jaktober
09-18-2011, 01:10 PM
The idea that all women are pro-abortion is insane, not even remotely true. This is the leftist/collectivist way of looking at the world.

So true, this has been a point made by a few people, the target of my article was specifically pro-choice women. I found a poll that shows 48% of women define themselves as pro-life while only 45% define themselves as pro-choice. I'm trying to speak to the 45% I guess.

While most female republicans are pro-life, there are still a lot of open-primary states in which female democrats and independents can vote Ron Paul, and still time for those that get truly inspired to register Republican.

Also, I felt defusing this issue early can save us energy during the general election.

I think we should start framing the debate as 'Reproductive Rights vs. the Rights of the Unborn" I think this might lead to better understanding and communication.

jaktober
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
does a majority of Republican women favor abortion?

No, I was trying to speak to Democrat, Independents and Progressives, as are the majority of my readership (my Ron Paul readers come in floods when I publish a good RP article, my consistent readership are more progressive-minded).

That is the challenge I've undertaken, to try to win over the "populist-left" - it's gotten me some heat from Greens, but also some positive responses from Greens. It's not a easy task to take on, I'm challenging a lot of people's identity and world view, which can be dangerous.

pipewerKz
09-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Dr. Paul has addressed it. He doesn't consider a fertilized egg a fetus--or a person--until it attaches to the uterus wall. So, the 'morning after pill' is the solution to this problem.

Not that he wants to shove this definition down the states' throats. That's just his medical and moral opinion on this subject.

Exactly. Ron would also would support stem cell research in certain circumstances (go to 7:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jpPCIzza8&t=7m45s

Birdlady
09-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I have this feeling from some of the comments in this thread that a group of you have this idea that Ron Paul is going to stop all abortions in this countr,y but that's not true... Did any of you actually read the article the OP posted? lol When Roe Vs Wade is overturned, your state will then decide what to do. If you live in a democrat dominated state, then your state will likely legalize abortion and it may go even further than it currently allows.

RP is pro-life, but that has very little relevance to his political position/power as president.

gerryb
09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
I would say the opposite is true, or else how will anyone new ever come to support Dr. Paul?
By going after the ones who already agree with you.

Politics 101. http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/
http://www.yaliberty.org/campaignbootcamps

acptulsa
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
RP is pro-life, but that has very little relevance to his political position/power as president.

Exactly. Almost any liberal objection to Ron Paul can be overcome by mentioning his commitment to the Tenth Amendment. Try it, it works like a charm.

Voluntary Man
09-18-2011, 11:32 PM
this issue of abortion isn't about when life begins. ask any scientist (if you don't already know) what cellular division indicates. the issue is at what point rights begin.

we are rapidly approaching a time when the issue will be irrelevant, because the baby will be able to be removed from the womb at almost any stage of development and transplanted into the womb of a surrogate, to be carried to term for a couple who wants a child. the procedure will be less invasive than abortion is, currently, without the lifelong negative emotional baggage.

TheTexan
09-19-2011, 12:11 AM
From a libertarian standpoint, there are two, both equally valid standpoints:
1) The woman is free to do what she will with her own body
2) The baby is free to live without fear of clothes hangers

Both are equally valid libertarian standpoints. Thus, it's best if the states decide. Ron Paul, as a presidential candidate, is neither for nor against abortion. As an individual, and as an obstetrician, is pro-life, but this would not affect his decision making process.

Christelle
09-20-2011, 05:29 AM

:mad: OH MY !!! :eek:

My mother was very very young when she got pregnant of me... she couldn't raise me but... what did i want to say ???... :confused:...
Ah ! Yeah ! "THANKS MOM FOR HAVING SPREAD YOUR LEGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Revolution9
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
:mad: OH MY !!! :eek:

My mother was very very young when she got pregnant of me... she couldn't raise me but... what did i want to say ???... :confused:...
Ah ! Yeah ! "THANKS MOM FOR HAVING SPREAD YOUR LEGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

We are glad she chose not to punish you by vacuuming you out of the picture.

Rev9

tangent4ronpaul
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Honestly, the whole divide on abortion is pretty silly to me. Why do people who believe that women have the right to chose have priority over people who believe a babies' life is sacred? This argument can easily be made the other way around but from what I see, pro-choicers are overly aggressive about a woman's right to choose.

That is why it seems to be that it should, in the end, be left to the states to decide, that way you can just move to a state where you're happier. This seems like a way for everyone to be happy but no, both sides want it to be the whole damn country.

You are seeing it the wrong way. I've been around a lot of people from both sides and the pro-choice side just wants it available and the threat of a national ban gone. Last cycle, I ran into many RP supporters from the left that really liked the leave it to the states position, as abortion would always be available in this country.

The pro-life side is less tolerant, but delighted they would be able to finally ban it in the bible belt. Most, however, want it banned nationally and I've even heard some that were demanding that the US Gvmt pressure Canada to ban it!

-t

reillym
09-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Fetus != person. The life of a mother need not be endangered by childbirth at the hands of the state. No government has the right to put a women through moral danger.