PDA

View Full Version : The Conspiracy To Make You Fat

donnay
09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
The Conspiracy To Make You Fat
By Colleen Kane

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/extreme-makeover.jpg

Introduction

Let's face it: nobody around here is getting any thinner.

Certainly it cannot be our own faults, right? Seriously, though, obesity is a huge (no pun intended) issue in America, especially among impoverished populations, who tend to buy cheap calories, which tend to be unhealthy calories, and they may not have the time or know-how to cook healthier meals. But the poor are far from being the only ones packing on the pounds -- nor are they necessarily, entirely to blame for being overweight.

Below: the not-so-secret conspiracy to fatten you up.

OD'ing On Beer
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/jeans.jpg

Vanity Sizing

Vanity sizing is a term that's arisen in recent years to describe the practice of assigning a smaller size number to larger clothing than that number used to represent. Various national retailers are said to employ this practice; Old Navy comes up frequently in internet rumor mills. At some stores, jeans once labeled size 9, for example, are now labeled size 7. The gal wearing these, unaware of the sizing shenanigans, is proud of herself for dropping a size after making no effort to do so, then might be inclined to reward herself with an extra cheeseburger.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/corn.jpg

Corn

Corn is an ingredient in almost every processed food these days, often showing up in the form of corn syrup. Lower quality corn is even used to fatten up cows (which, by the way, are supposed to be eating grass). Corn syrup, of course, is said to have a similar affect in that it's fattening up the humans. How did this corn-dependence happen, you might ask if you haven't been watching the documentaries and reading the articles about how f'd up our food production system has become.

Corn is the crop most subsidized by the U.S. government, and because of these subsidies, foods sweetened with corn syrup have artificially low prices. There's no shortage of evidence that consuming too much corn syrup is contributing to obesity, and cows raised on corn end up as fattier meat. Meanwhile, growers of fruits and vegetables, which would be the less fattening choices, get less than 1% of government subsidies, so they cost more to buy.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/bud-lite.jpg

Light Beer

Just because it's labeled "light" doesn't mean it won't contribute to a beer belly. As seen in this chart of regular beer calories and light beer calories, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the calorie counts of regular beers versus light beers. And considering light beers have less alcoholic content, drinkers of light beer might be inclined to drink more to feel the same buzz...

Next: MSG: It's Not Just Where The Knicks Play...
Addiction To Junk
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/mcrib.jpg

Addictive Fast Food

It may have once contained only recognizable ingredients, but today's fast food is chemically engineered to create a state of bliss in the mind -- a state the brain wants to replicate over and over again.

At least one study has found the magical combination triumvirate of sugar, fat, and salt so commonly found in fast food to be as addictive as heroin.

And don't get us started on fast food companies that get kids hooked early by giving them toys with their entrees.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/msg-heinz.jpg
MSG

The food additive Monosodium Glutamate -- which, probably due to the bad rep it's earned over the past few decades, also operates under the alias Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein -- appears in many processed foods, condiments such as Heinz ketchup, as well as in the fare served at fast food joints and chain restaurants like Friday's.

The book "The Slow Poisoning of America" by John and Michelle Erb claims that MSG is akin to "nicotine for food" -- it's included for its addictive qualities so that once people consume it, they eat more of the food and they come back to have it again.

Just Deserts

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/school-lunch.jpg
School Ties

Due to budget constraints and subsidies (a.k.a. fat's best friend), school lunches are linked with childhood obesity. One study found regular school lunch eaters to be 29 percent more likely to be obese than children who brought their lunches from home.

Other studies have put the number higher than that. Guess what? Kids are never going to choose enough vegetables if given the option to eat just hot dogs. Guess where the subsidies come from? They don't come from the powerful kale and tofu lobbies, because those don't exist. The subsidies come from the powerful meat and dairy industries, ensuring kids are fed more of the fattening foods they're already getting in excess.

For much of the 90s and early 2000s, Coca-Cola and Pepsi were controversially inching their way in to funding needy elementary and high school campuses with exclusive deals, as if children needed even more soda in their diets.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/food-deserts.jpg

Food Deserts

A very significant class issue surrounding obesity is the lack of access to healthy foods in poverty-stricken areas. Housing projects and other low-income housing neighborhoods often have nothing but fast food eateries nearby, with no supermarkets or farmers markets in walking distance.

This phenomenon is called a food desert. A lot of the previously cited ways to get fat are individual choices, but a lack of access to affordable healthy foods, in households where no one is available to take the bus to buy wholesome foods during business hours, means a lack of choice.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/conspiracy/story/in-the-shadows/fat/coke.jpg

Soft Drinks

Somehow, some Americans got the idea that sugar- and calorie-laden soda pop was a reasonable drink choice to enjoy all day long. This despite the fact that each 12-ounce can of Coca Cola contains 40.5 grams of sugar, which is equivalent to eating 20 sugar cubes. All that sugar means liquid calories flow into the body; even one soda per day packs on pounds over time. Drinking multiple soft drinks daily should henceforth be known as "taking the fat track to Diabeetusville."

http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/in-the-shadows/fat/intro.html

noxagol
09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Grains and excess carbs, common in all of those things.

Except the beer. A beer or two a day won't make much, if any, of a difference, if the rest of your diet is good. The carbs are all fermented.

heavenlyboy34
09-17-2011, 09:46 PM
One problem I notice in the article-it is in fact possible to live on mostly fast food and remain healthy. You just have to choose your meals wisely and exercise. Check out the movie Fathead sometime. The guy lives on a fast food diet for several months and has no health problems.

donnay
09-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Battling the "MSG Myth"

I just bought this book, and what an excellent read and truly an eye-opener! Things I would have never guess had MSG in it, or even aspartame for that matter, have it.

Two years ago, I spent my fourth of July in an emergency room with chest pains and labored breathing. $6000.00 later, I was no better and the doctors did a whole host of test and nothing came up wrong--so they said it was all in my head, and I was just having panic attacks! Of course they wanted to prescribe me anti-depressants and I told them to pound salt!

After trying to watch what I eat and really be aware (at least I thought I was fully aware) of how much MSG I was consuming, my chest pains went away, stomach problems and heart murmur. Nevertheless, this book has opened my eyes even further!

I highly recommend this book/cookbook for those who have these type symptoms:

http://www.msgmyth.com/

Have you been tested for, suffer from, and found little relief from any of the following conditions?

1. Severe headache
2. Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting
3. Irregular heart beat or blood pressure, racing heart
4. Depression or mood change, bipolar, SAD
5. Abdominal pain, cramps, bloating, colitis, IBS
6. Balance problems, dizziness, or seizures, mini-strokes
7. Tenderness in localized areas, neck, back, etc.
8. Sleep disorders
9. Blurred vision or difficulty breathing
10. Chronic fatigue or sleepiness
11. Excessive perspiring or shuddering and chills
12. Shortness of breath, chest pains, asthma
13. Swelling, pain, or numbness of hands, feet, jaw
14. Pain in joints or bones
15. Flushing or tingling in face, chest, pressure behind eyes
16. Gagging reflex or difficulty swallowing
17. Hyperactivity, behavioral problems
18. Chronic post nasal drip
19. Skin rash, itching, hives
20. Bloated face, dark circles under strained eyes
21. Extreme thirst or dry mouth
22. Difficulty concentrating and poor memory
23. Slowed speech
24. Chronic bronchitis-like symptoms, allergy reactions, dry cough, hoarseness or sore throat
25. Heavy, weak feeling in arms and legs
26. Irritable bowel or colitis
27. Attention deficit disorder, anxiety attacks, rage, panic attacks
28. Neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's, fibromyalgia, MS, Parkinson's
29. Pressure behind eyes or on head, neck, shoulders
30. ADD, ADHD, Rage Disorder
31. Asthma
32. Weight problems, obesity, hypoglycemia

If any of these conditions plague you, you may be a victim of the myth that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a safe food additive. The truth is that the average person eats much more glutamate than what is considered to be a safe and normal amount in the typical American diet. MSG is in everything from crackers and soda pop to vitamins and toothpaste.

Battling the MSG Myth
A Survival Guide and Cookbook
By Debby Anglesey

After suffering for 21 years from several chronic conditions caused by MSG, and finally finding relief for both herself and her son, Debby spent one and a half years researching and writing a book to help other victims. This highly informative book is recommended for people who suspect or know their migraines, stomach disorders, or other chronic conditions are caused by Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and Aspartame. It offers over 400 recipes and several chapters devoted to educate the wary consumer. Many doctors and clinics use and recommend this book for their sensitive patients. Since glutamate is hidden under many aliases in processed foods, avoiding it is tricky without the facts. This book will educate and guide you to a new world of health as you learn how to substitute your present MSG tainted foods for healthy ones.

noxagol
09-18-2011, 06:37 AM
One problem I notice in the article-it is in fact possible to live on mostly fast food and remain healthy. You just have to choose your meals wisely and exercise. Check out the movie Fathead sometime. The guy lives on a fast food diet for several months and has no health problems.

Yes. When I worked at McDonalds for three years, McDonalds food was about half my freaking diet. I was the skinniest and thinnest I ever was while working there, despite the soda and fries. I did eat really big, really fatty burgers though.

Kludge
09-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa -- before we get to the content, what the Hell happened to that man's stomach? It looks like he has a 30 pound solid tumor in the center. - And it's all strangely asymmetrical.

Anti Federalist
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Fucking conspiracy worked on me, dammit.

Becker
09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
http://floridapundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kim-kardashian-pat-down.jpg

is she a victim too?

PaulConventionWV
09-20-2011, 09:30 PM

No effing way. Define "no health problems". Heck, define "healthy" because a lot of people who think they're healthy are really not. Some guys can feel "fine" one hour and be dead the next of a heart attack. Were they healthy? You can't eat shit like that and expect to remain healthy. It doesn't matter what health philosophy you follow, there's no way that stuff can be beneficial or even neutral toward your health. It's bad stuff. Sometimes it takes awhile for the poison to take effect, depending on your genetics and other health background, which affects your body's ability to remove the toxins and keep your body from freaking out, so to speak, or to keep it in a state of homeostasis. You can't get away with that forever, though. Educate yourself, man. Raw veggies and fruits and nuts is where it's at. Anything less than healthy hinders your body's ability in some way. Some people have no idea how great they COULD feel if they would just eat healthier. It all depends on your body's ability to keep you "stable" meaning you don't notice anything, but it doesn't mean you're healthy. Also, conventional measures of health are bogus. Measuring your blood pressure and heart rate don't tell the whole story.

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
No effing way. Define "no health problems". Heck, define "healthy" because a lot of people who think they're healthy are really not. Some guys can feel "fine" one hour and be dead the next of a heart attack. Were they healthy? You can't eat shit like that and expect to remain healthy. It doesn't matter what health philosophy you follow, there's no way that stuff can be beneficial or even neutral toward your health. It's bad stuff. Sometimes it takes awhile for the poison to take effect, depending on your genetics and other health background, which affects your body's ability to remove the toxins and keep your body from freaking out, so to speak, or to keep it in a state of homeostasis. You can't get away with that forever, though. Educate yourself, man. Raw veggies and fruits and nuts is where it's at. Anything less than healthy hinders your body's ability in some way. Some people have no idea how great they COULD feel if they would just eat healthier. It all depends on your body's ability to keep you "stable" meaning you don't notice anything, but it doesn't mean you're healthy. Also, conventional measures of health are bogus. Measuring your blood pressure and heart rate don't tell the whole story.I probably should have been clearer. I meant that you should take the healthiest parts of the various meals and be healthy. For example, a burger without the bun. Fries, soda, and other carbs should be avoided. If you use the paleo diet for athletes (which I prefer), you can find just about everything for that diet at McDonald's. Most fast food places I've been at offer fresh foods of some kind, such as salads. You're right that the ideal is to get real food from the supermarket. No matter what diet one uses, exercise is critical to staying healthy. Supplements are pretty important too. I don't eat fast food, but I still take a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Make sense?

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes. When I worked at McDonalds for three years, McDonalds food was about half my freaking diet. I was the skinniest and thinnest I ever was while working there, despite the soda and fries. I did eat really big, really fatty burgers though.
It's not the burgers that make people fat-it's the carbs (especially the sodas with HFCS). Our ancestors ate a lot of fatty foods. (they also got more exercise, but that's another story)

Acala
09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I probably should have been clearer. I meant that you should take the healthiest parts of the various meals and be healthy. For example, a burger without the bun. Fries, soda, and other carbs should be avoided. If you use the paleo diet for athletes (which I prefer), you can find just about everything for that diet at McDonald's. Most fast food places I've been at offer fresh foods of some kind, such as salads. You're right that the ideal is to get real food from the supermarket. No matter what diet one uses, exercise is critical to staying healthy. Supplements are pretty important too. I don't eat fast food, but I still take a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Make sense?

I would agree EXCEPT the beef at a fast food place is almost certainly NOT going to be grass-fed/grass finished. That means it will have an unhealthy fatty acid composition, not to mention the various drugs and hormones given the animal to make it grow three times faster than natural.

Also, the beef is probably grilled with unhealthy industrial vegetable oil.

And as I understand the paleo/primal diet, the menu in order of quantity should be vegetables, meat, and fruit. I think you would have a hard time eating a paleo helping of vegetables at McDonald's (unless you count fries, which are soaked with unhealthy oils and have a high glycemic load).

Acala
09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
It's not the burgers that make people fat-it's the carbs (especially the sodas with HFCS). Our ancestors ate a lot of fatty foods. (they also got more exercise, but that's another story)

Yup. It is the bun in the burger that kills you.

Kodaddy
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm thinking of switching to 'catsup'....

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Yup. It is the bun in the burger that kills you.
as well as Fries, soda, pancakes, hash browns, etc. Do fast food joints "cut" their burgers with carbs like soy or something? I'm pretty sure they don't. The trainers I know of say that takeout burgers without the bun are fine.

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
This will be interesting for y'all.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FatHeadMovie?blend=8&ob=5

donnay
09-21-2011, 10:00 PM

It's the MSG (http://www.truthinlabeling.org/II.WhereIsMSG.html) that is in the meats that are making people fat. The hamburger buns have dough conditioners--L-cysteine, (potassium bromate (http://www.iodine-resource.com/potassium-bromate.html) a fire retardant) in it, along with other bad ingredients like HFCS. In the fries, it is hydrogenated oils that are making people fat. All of these toxins do not leave your body, they accumulate and the fat in your body is completely toxic from consuming these things.

Fast foods, and pre-package prepared meals are loaded with these toxins!

Most people that are serious about losing weight simply have to research these claims, then make the decision to change their life-style. Moderate to low impact exercise is good, but the bottom line is-- if you make a conscious effort to stay away these toxins, your body will drop the pounds and you'll be amazed how good you feel.

donnay
09-21-2011, 10:27 PM
A good break down of MSG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-pnzj0c06Q&feature=related

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 10:51 PM
It's the MSG (http://www.truthinlabeling.org/II.WhereIsMSG.html) that is in the meats that are making people fat. The hamburger buns have dough conditioners--L-cysteine, (potassium bromate (http://www.iodine-resource.com/potassium-bromate.html) a fire retardant) in it, along with other bad ingredients like HFCS. In the fries, it is hydrogenated oils that are making people fat. All of these toxins do not leave your body, they accumulate and the fat in your body is completely toxic from consuming these things.

Fast foods, and pre-package prepared meals are loaded with these toxins!

Most people that are serious about losing weight simply have to research these claims, then make the decision to change their life-style. Moderate to low impact exercise is good, but the bottom line is-- if you make a conscious effort to stay away these toxins, your body will drop the pounds and you'll be amazed how good you feel.
Good points there. I must admit that I avoid fast food and only get packaged food that has no artificial anything.:o (that and my vigorous weight lifting probably explains why I'm not overweight or obese)

heavenlyboy34
09-21-2011, 11:05 PM
A good break down of MSG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-pnzj0c06Q&feature=related
That's actually a pretty darned good vid. MSG and chemical sweeteners are baaaaad shit.

sratiug
09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
I would agree EXCEPT the beef at a fast food place is almost certainly NOT going to be grass-fed/grass finished. That means it will have an unhealthy fatty acid composition, not to mention the various drugs and hormones given the animal to make it grow three times faster than natural.

Also, the beef is probably grilled with unhealthy industrial vegetable oil.

And as I understand the paleo/primal diet, the menu in order of quantity should be vegetables, meat, and fruit. I think you would have a hard time eating a paleo helping of vegetables at McDonald's (unless you count fries, which are soaked with unhealthy oils and have a high glycemic load).

The glycemic index is total bunk, as admitted by the diabetes association ten years ago. Lowering total carbohydrate intake is the key to reducing the stress on your pancreas. Complex carbs overload your pancreas and result in a higher resting blood sugar than sugar consumption. Sugars containing fructose (table sugar, juices, honey, etc) destroy your liver the same as alcohol. Fiber is unusable to humans and causes an increase in colon cancer and a decrease in energy by flushing nutrients before they can be absorbed.

Acala
09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
The glycemic index is total bunk, as admitted by the diabetes association ten years ago. Lowering total carbohydrate intake is the key to reducing the stress on your pancreas. Complex carbs overload your pancreas and result in a higher resting blood sugar than sugar consumption. Sugars containing fructose (table sugar, juices, honey, etc) destroy your liver the same as alcohol. Fiber is unusable to humans and causes an increase in colon cancer and a decrease in energy by flushing nutrients before they can be absorbed.

Glycemic LOAD is not the same as glycemic index. And it isn't total bunk. It is not the whole story, but it is useful. You are correct that different types of carbs have different effects and low glycemic index does not mean that it is okay. Fructose, for example, has a low glycemic index but is far from healthy in singificant amounts.