PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit to how much I can 'chip in'?

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm already looking ahead and planning ways to continually accelerate the revolution and fund the dozens of projects created by all the meetups.

What I'm wondering is, are there any laws or limits on how much a single person can give to 'chip ins'? I'm assuming that there aren't any limits but want to hear from everyone just in case.

A Ron Paul Rebel

p.s. What a great, historical day we have in front of us. I'm so damn psyched.

jaumen
11-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Don't know how there even could be. But no, I don't believe there is any law concerning that.

LibertyEagle
11-05-2007, 09:30 AM
The only one I am aware of is the limit of donating $5K to any one PAC.

jgmaynard
11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I am pretty sure not. There IS a $5000 per PAC donation limit.

However, if you max out your campaign contributions, finish up all the chipin requests, max out your $5000 for every pro-Ron PAC, and still wanna donate more, let me know, and I'll open up a PAC you can donate another $5000 to help start. :D

JM

DealzOnWheelz
11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
THERE IS A LIMIT RIGHT NOW IT IS $2300

But you can make anonymous cash donations of $50 or less at a time at a Physical RP site. Like your local HQ.

The reason I'm not quite sure about but I do know there is a limit.

I believe if we get to a certain level(not sure of requirements) it gets bumped to $4600

jgmaynard
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
$2300 is the official campaign donation limit. He was talking about private chip-ins. :)

JM

LibertyEagle
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
THERE IS A LIMIT RIGHT NOW IT IS $2300

But you can make anonymous cash donations of $50 or less at a time at a Physical RP site. Like your local HQ.

The reason I'm not quite sure about but I do know there is a limit.

I believe if we get to a certain level(not sure of requirements) it gets bumped to $4600

No, no. You're talking about donations to the CAMPAIGN. He was asking about donations to the grassroots.

fj45lvr
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
no

there is NO LIMIT ask George Soros.

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, thanks all...

Who has the site with all the pledges and what's that domain?

ronpaulyourmom
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Okay slow down, there is a limit, it's $5,000.

Any group that expends more than $1000 in an effort to influence a federal election is considered a PAC by default. I highly doubt that most of these meetups have filed papers as PACs, but at the very least you should avoid pouring more than $5,000 into any single group.

Drknows
11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Ok, thanks all...

Who has the site with all the pledges and what's that domain?

http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/chipin.html

Godspeed!! :D

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/chipin.html

Godspeed!! :D

Not 'pledges' but 'chipins'. Thanks DrKnows you knew what I was looking for.

As far as the legallity, I'm getting mixed messages. Anyone else care to comment?

rrcamp
11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
It seems from the comments that as long as you donate less than $5,000 to the chipins, you are okay. If you are donating more than that, then we need to keep this thread alive and bump the hell out of it for some answers.

You could always ask the official campaign.

austin356
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
no no all you guys are off.

The $2300 not only applies to direct campaign donations but political speech for that campaign. For instance it is illegal for you to go out and buy a billboard yourself b/c that would put you above your limit, even if the purchase had nothing to do with the official campaign.

The real question here is enforcement. Can the FEC track all non-direct-campaign-expenses? NO. Can you get away with giving $10,000 to ChipIns? Yes.

There are some legal ways that the donation through ChipIn can be set up so that it is completely legal though. We had to go through that here.