PDA

View Full Version : "Tea Party favorite" running for New Hampshire governor

Agorism
09-17-2011, 08:07 AM
http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/280423/lamontagnes-in-bradley-not-running?SESS575e4cad9f0a9972573bceef655ad284=gnews

Ovide Lamontagne, a Manchester attorney who nearly won the 2010 Republican nomination for U.S. Senate, will announce his candidacy for governor on Monday, an adviser said.

Also yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley, a former Republican congressman, announced he would not run for governor.

Lamontagne will announce his bid at the annual meeting of the Bedford Republican Committee, adviser Jim Merrill said yesterday. He said the timing of the announcement - just days after Gov. John Lynch, a Democrat, said he would not seek re-election - is coincidence.

In a closely watched primary for U.S. Senate last year, Lamontagne, a conservative with little establishment backing, came from behind to nearly win the Republican nomination. He finished 1 point behind Kelly Ayotte, who went on to defeat Democrat Paul Hodes, then a congressman. Lamontagne was the Republican nominee for governor in 1996.

Lamontagne practices commercial litigation with the Manchester firm Devine Millimet. He negotiated the settlement of the state's investigation into the Catholic Diocese of Manchester. From 1993 to 1996, he served as chairman of the New Hampshire State Board of Education.

On Monday, Merill said, Lamontagne will release the names of more than 200 supporters, including former state House speaker Donna Sytek, Executive Councilor Ray Wieczorek, state Sen. Jim Luther, state Sen. Jack Barnes, state Sen. Tom De Blois and Merrimack County Sheriff Scott Hilliard.

"He'll speak about his vision for the state and the need to return conservative leadership to the corner office," Merrill said.

Bradley announced his decision not to seek the governor's office in a statement yesterday. The state senator, who lives in Wolfeboro, said he is "honored and grateful for all the encouragement I have received from supporters who have urged me to run for governor."

"I believe at this time I can best serve our state by focusing on critical issues in the Senate which include job growth, spending restraint, pension reform and implementation of managed Medicaid," Bradley said. "Of particular importance in 2012 is passage of an education funding constitutional amendment that will finally allow voters to have a say in the school funding debate."

After six terms in the state House, Bradley was elected to the U.S. House in 2002 and served two terms before being defeated by Democrat Carol Shea-Porter.

He won his state Senate seat in a 2009 special election. Bradley is a prominent supporter of presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

acptulsa
09-17-2011, 08:29 AM
It's getting to the point where I see 'Tea Party Favorite...' and I picture a scone or a fairy cake or some other kind of British biscuit.

PaulConventionWV
09-17-2011, 01:15 PM
It's getting to the point where I see 'Tea Party Favorite...' and I picture a scone or a fairy cake or some other kind of British biscuit.

I see a satire article on this. Thanks for the inspiration. +rep

trey4sports
09-17-2011, 01:20 PM
so is this a Ron Paul tea partier, a Rick Santorum tea partier or a jim demint tea partier?

AGRP
09-17-2011, 01:34 PM
so is this a Ron Paul tea partier, a Rick Santorum tea partier or a jim demint tea partier?

Judging by the "Tea Party Debate" on the 12th, CNN says the entire Republican party is the Tea Party.

acptulsa
09-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Maybe he's the Mad Hatter.

Judging by the "Tea Party Debate" on the 12th, CNN says the entire Republican party is the Tea Party.

Then again, maybe Romney is the Mad Hatter. After all, you have to inhale a lot of mercury to think threatening to pick Cheney as your veep is an astute political move...