PDA

View Full Version : To claim or not to claim? Unemployment that is.

bamafanmco
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
This has been a struggle for me. My family demands that I take unemployment while I'm looking for work. I'm uneasy about it. I understand I paid into it, my family paid into it. If fact they say I can redeem what they have paid in and other have squandered. You know they'd rather me collect than other who don't actively seek work. However I don't want it. I believe I could get by for three months paying my current bills without the unemployment, I certainly intend to find work by then. If I have to mop floors I will. I have a potential opportunity in the next two weeks.

What is your opinion on unemployment claims?
1. Public insurance=Public roads as long as its the system,
2. Government-take what you can give nothing back,
3. Take nothing from government live independent and free.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
09-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Man claim that shit!

Vessol
09-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Considering the fact that you have to ask others, shows that you have some apprehension on claiming welfare/unemployment, meaning that you have some moral issues with it. However, ultimately, it's your choice.

realtonygoodwin
09-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Do you accept deductions and credits and a tax return when tax season comes around?

Rael
09-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Take it! Get as much of your stolen money back as you can.

gerryb
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Who will be a better steward of that money?

You?
Or some bureaucrat?

LibertyEagle
09-16-2011, 11:42 PM
The UC program is unique among U.S. social insurance programs in that it is funded almost totally by either federal or state taxes paid by employers.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federalbenefitprograms/a/ucprogram.htm

steph3n
09-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I as an employer, pay a lot on this, but I would not take it, I didn't apply for any grants for college, or any federal,state, or local aid. I worked two jobs and went to school, and had my own business to pay for all out of my pocket. I never asked parents for a penny, or expected them to give it to me either.

This was even before I was as die-hard in my minimal govt beliefs, but it was a good solid foundation to act upon what I believed in basic, but made it to concrete now :D

Tod
09-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I've been unemployed once in my life, and I did take compensation for a while, but it bothered me to have to apply with other employers when I was planning on starting my own business so I dropped out. I'm in my third year of business now. Initially, I did have to supplement my business income with a little seasonal part-time work, but hopefully this year I'll be able to squeak by without.

anaconda
09-16-2011, 11:56 PM
It's an insurance fund. You qualify.

DamianTV
09-17-2011, 01:09 AM
If you have enough saved up to be out of work for 3 months affordably, you better get it, because odds are you are going to be out of work for much much longer than you expect. In all honesty, I wish you the best of luck ever having a job again, period.

The ACTUAL Unemployment Rate is THAT Bad.

sorianofan
09-17-2011, 03:31 AM
File for unemployment and give the money to Ron Paul.

Seriously, unless you need it to survive. because it specifically hurts your previous employer I rthink it's a bad thing if you can afford to forgo it. If your old employer is a prick, well then do it.

123tim
09-17-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't believe in taking any kind of welfare.
However, I look at unemployment as "Forced insurance".

Don't forget that you were forced into paying into unemployment while you worked. Your money that you worked for actually went into it.
At least go back and figure how much money you have given to unemployment while you worked. Personally, I'd try to get that back.

I know of a couple of people who know that they are soon going to be laid off. They intend to milk the system and not look for a job until they use all of their unemployment benefits. :eek: I think that's the way the majority of people around here think. Just imagine, the money that you paid in will probably go to these people while you scrape by at the grocery store.

Because of the way everybody else is abusing the system, I wouldn't feel bad getting back what I paid in. Your employer was forced as well - that money will also be lost.

Just an opinion.

John of Des Moines
09-17-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't critize people who take government welfare money such as - even if they don't need it. It will help crash the system sooner rather then later.

Elfshadow
09-17-2011, 04:24 AM
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/federalbenefitprograms/a/ucprogram.htm

While true that the money goes directly from employer to government it is money that is calculated into the cost of employing and employee thus its actually money from the employee, much like employer contributions to 401k social security and healthcare. I would much rather have this money as part of my check with it being my decision on where it goes.

aka its a way to lie to people about being taxed.

ghengis86
09-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Take it and donate a portion to your church and Ron Paul. Then you should have no issues with keeping the rest.

Seriously though, take it.

MJU1983
09-17-2011, 04:50 AM
The question is: Do you qualify? Did you recently lose your job? And was it no fault of our own that you lost it? If so, you probably qualify. If not, most likely you do not.

matt0611
09-17-2011, 07:53 AM
You were forced to pay in for it. Why not take it? I would.
Will you not accept SS as well?

WilliamC
09-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I didn't take it when I was eligible although everyone I know thinks In was foolish not to, but I don't regret not having done it. My family was able to get by on my wife's income.

But if you have children and they need to eat and be sheltered then do it for their sake, it's the system we have to work with.

Legend1104
09-17-2011, 09:42 AM
You were forced to pay in for it. Why not take it? I would.
Will you not accept SS as well?

Because that makes you no better than these chumps we always complain about. Stand on principle and tell the government you don't need their help. Even if they stole your money, if you take it then that means that you accept what they are doing. Refuse to take it and stand up for what you believe in. We don't want this corrupt system and will have no part in it.

AZKing
09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
I've argued this with some friends before that refused to get unemployment. It's your money. They took it from you before you even got your paycheck. Feel free to take all of it back with interest.

And be happy, you're creating more debt. More debt means RP has a better chance of becoming president :)

bobbyw24
09-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I would not ask us.

Do what's best for your family. Period.

AlexMerced
09-17-2011, 09:49 AM
the problem isn't taking welfare, it's offering it. It's perfectly rational to take aid given and nothing morally wrong with it, the immorality is that the government gives aid by coercing others through programs structured to create dependencies and subsidize risk.

Take the unemployment.

newbitech
09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
The only problem I have is that you actually have to go looking for this money by applying and all that non-sense. I think the FED and states should be required to act by having agents at your doorstep no more than 2 weeks after your separation with check in hand and a pen for you to sign all the paper work.

Travlyr
09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
The only problem I have is that you actually have to go looking for this money by applying and all that non-sense. I think the FED and states should be required to act by having agents at your doorstep no more than 2 weeks after your separation with check in hand and a pen for you to sign all the paper work.

Yep. If unemployment was only competitive that is how the good ones would do it.

RCA
09-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Of course take it. Can we please stop acting so "fringe-ish"?

pcosmar
09-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I have been unemployed since 2006. I was not eligible then and am not now.
Yet I am still unemployed.

I am also not statistically unemployed. (for those that follow unemployment statistics)
:(

asurfaholic
09-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Take it. I got laid off 2 years ago. I reluctantly applied for it even though i thought i would find a new job quickly. 8 months later i was glad i acted early. I had savings too, but it wouldnt have been enough.

Took me 8 mos to find a job in a almost recession-proof field

affa
09-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Please take it. You do not know the future. Once the money you do have saved runs out, you may not be able to find work, and you will no longer qualify.

These programs aren't the problem so much as abuse of these programs is. You're not abusing it. You have a family. You may be right - you may end up not needing it. But on the off chance you do, your family is the deciding factor here.

ctiger2
09-17-2011, 11:33 AM
For sure you need to get on the program if you can. Personally, I want as many people as possible to get on this program. Will help bring about the needed reforms faster. If I could claim unemployment I would in a heartbeat.

emazur
09-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I got fired from a job and took a job consisting of unskilled labor in order to pay the bills after that. When work got really slow, I reluctantly applied for unemployment insurance. I rejected it for 2 reasons:
1) didn't pay enough
2) the conditions of getting it required my to apply for 3 unskilled labor jobs per week in the same field, and if I get offered a job I must accept it or lose the unemployment benefits I have so far received. I'm a college grad (not that that means anything). I argued with the guy on the phone about how the unskilled job was just a temporary thing I did to pay the bills but he wouldn't budge. They even sent me a goddamn letter, which I still have, saying I need to apply for unskilled labor jobs. The government wants you on the dole, and if you try to take care of yourself while unemployed, they will punish you for it by locking you into that industry.

That being said, if you intend to stay in the same industry as your last job and the rate they are willing to pay you is high enough, go ahead and take the unemployment, but don't ever be thankful for it.

goldencane
09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm sure it has been said, but take it. You are just recovering a part of what the government has taken from you. If they didn't take so much money from you in the past, you wouldn't need any help now. Continue to fight against these kind of things, but get as much of your money back while you can.

QueenB4Liberty
09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah in this economy I would take what I can get. Good luck to finding a new job though.

LibertyRevolution
09-17-2011, 11:30 PM
If you can live off what unemployment will pay you, then claim it.
I do, and I don't feel 1 bit bad about it.

jbuttell
09-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Because that makes you no better than these chumps we always complain about. Stand on principle and tell the government you don't need their help. Even if they stole your money, if you take it then that means that you accept what they are doing. Refuse to take it and stand up for what you believe in. We don't want this corrupt system and will have no part in it.

Interesting, I take it you don't accept money from the IRS after you do your taxes? Or do you feel thats somehow different from unemployment that you are also forced into paying?

I sure don't support the IRS, but I won't turn down money that is rightfully mine.