PDA

View Full Version : Reno Air Races Plane Crashes into Crowd - Mass Casualty Event

DamianTV
09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
This was a single pilot aircraft that crashed into the crowd, barely missing the stands by airplane standards. Multiple Casualties expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzX35wOGas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9D-Q0y-l0

Keeping an eye on the news, apparently happened about 4:30PM today, event is being called a Mass Casualty Event, but information is only trickling in and not very accurate, hospitals report about 100 people being admitted, some of the video on the news appeared to be deceased, their bodies fully covered arriving at local hospitals, one person appeared to have been missing a leg.

These are the only videos I can find so far.

Anyone else interested, as much as I cant stand the MSM, check out our local stations, KRNV is the NBC Affiliate, KOLO is the ABC Affiliate.

I'll try to post info as I get it, but as this is a local event, I dont know how much people will be interested.

QueenB4Liberty
09-16-2011, 07:48 PM
That sucks. I heard there are 12 dead so far.

HOLLYWOOD
09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.kolotv.com/

http://www.mynews4.com/default.aspx

DamianTV
09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Update: Pilot is confirmed dead.

The plane crashed into the front two Rows A and B of the Box Seats. 25 in Critical Condition, another 75 people admitted with lesser injuries.

If any of you are PERSONALLY affected by this, such as relatives attending the event and you do NOT know their status or whereabouts, the news is advising to call (Edit: Removed - Number no longer valid, local residents are advised to call 211 for information)

DamianTV
09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB2cBuV1YGE

Kylie
09-16-2011, 08:45 PM
My friends are there.

As of 9:13 central time:

from n00b:

‎13 black and too many reds/yellows. 38 casualties on top of that I think.
Hearing 25 dead now

Conflicting reports even from those there.

Godspeed to those who have passed.

Give hope to those in pain.

Amazing how quickly your life can change. One minute you're watching a plane in the air, next, you're injured or dead.

Life's crazy sometimes.

JoshLowry
09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the info Kylie.

What are blacks, reds, and yellows?

DamianTV
09-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info Kylie.

What are blacks, reds, and yellows?

Probably Medical Status. Black = Dead. Red = Critical. Or something to that effect.

I dont have any more information at this time. The news just keeps repeating itself and showing the same two videos originally posted.

Anti Federalist
09-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Air shows and air races are fairly dangerous for spectators, let alone pilots.

Look for calls to ban air racing from the usual suspects.

Sknyliv airshow disaster

The Sknyliv airshow disaster occurred on July 27, 2002, when a Ukrainian Air Force Sukhoi Su-27 of the Ukrainian Falcons crashed during an aerobatics presentation at Sknyliv airfield near Lviv, Ukraine. 77 people were killed and 543 injured, 100 of whom were hospitalised. It was the second major accident involving the Ukrainian military in less than a year, following the alleged downing of Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 in October 2001, and is the worst airshow accident in history.

Ramstein airshow disaster

The Ramstein airshow disaster is the second-deadliest airshow disaster (following the 2002 Sknyliv disaster).[1] It took place in front of an audience of about 300,000 people on August 28, 1988, in Ramstein, state of Rheinland-Pfalz, West Germany, near the city of Kaiserslautern at the U.S. Ramstein Air Base airshow Flugtag '88. Sixty-seven spectators and three pilots died, and 346 spectators sustained serious injuries in the resulting explosion and fire.[2]

Anti Federalist
09-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's a damn shame about the loss of the aircraft as well.

The old cliché is that "you can always replace equipment" doesn't really really apply here.

They are not any more P-51s being made and never will be any more.

phill4paul
09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's a damn shame about the loss of the aircraft as well.

The old cliché is that "you can always replace equipment" doesn't really really apply here.

Shouldn't get flamed for that. I agree. Not many of those old warbirds around. I'm reading a book now about the P-47 Thunderbolts in the European theater. It's called 'Hell Hawks' by Robert F. Dorr. Very interesting read and recommended.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-16-2011, 10:19 PM

That was my first thought as well.

DamianTV
09-17-2011, 12:48 AM
I think I'll make this my last update. Things arent going to change too much after this.

3 Dead, 16 Critical, 56 Serious Inuries.

This event could have been a LOT worse. I've been to the Air Races, and had this happened on a Weekend, a LOT more people could have been hurt or killed.

So far, it looks like a mechanical failure. The tail wings right aileron busted off in mid flight, which is what caused the pilot to lose control of the aircraft. It is estimated that the plane impacted the ground at about 400MPH.

I also need to state that the phone number I provided earlier for information for families about victims of the incident has changed. If anyone needs the new number, I'll find it for you, or you can hit up one of our local news websites, KTVN, KRNV, or KOLO.

Kylie
09-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Guess my buddies numbers were off. But with 13 black tagged there may be more.

Black: expectant- pain meds and theyre expected to die.
Red: serious- severe injuries
Yellow: non life threatening injuries