PDA

View Full Version : Recent FDA attack on Nutritional supplements

Mozart
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
"The FDA, which regulates foods and drugs in the US, has turned its focus on nutritional supplements — and its proposed criteria will leave very few supplements standing.

Here’s what could go down:

Under these new guidelines, Vitamin A, B complex, C, and D, as well as CoQ 10, would be outlawed.

1. The FDA will require that supplement manufacturers fund prohibitively expensive studies using doses multiplied by a “safety factor” of as high as 2,000 times the recommended dose. For instance, the FDA is proposing that two species of animals, rodents and young dogs, will be forced to ingest 2.4 million milligrams of fish oil per day, for 90 days. Humans take 2,400 milligrams daily — and we weigh 10 times as much as small dogs. In addition to these inhumane practices, this requirement will destroy most supplement companies (except those secretly owned by pharmaceutical manufacturers).

2. Supplements can only include ingredients found in the “typical food supply.” And what exactly does that mean to the FDA? Does echinacea qualify as being in the typical food supply? (I doubt it, since deep fried echinacea blossoms are not on your local Applebee’s menu.)

3. The FDA will only approve supplement ingredients that are at the same levels that it uses for synthetic food additives and preservatives, which is in violation of the 1994 law, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), which categorizes supplements as foods, not additives.

4.The FDA is treating supplement ingredients under the same exacting scrutiny as it does with known cancer-causing chemicals like aspartame, MSG, and sodium nitrate — demanding that the supplements be reduced to “inert” levels of concentration that will render them ineffective to consumers.

5. Each ingredient, as well as the supplement itself, will be required to undergo a New Dietary Ingredient Notification (NDIN) process — even if the same ingredient is used by other companies. This process takes 75 days at a bare minimum. And as of yet, 83% of NDINs have been rejected by the FDA. And by the way, “new” refers to products that have been in use for up to 17 years. "

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/new-law-could-empty-vitamins-aisle-2554533/?pg=4#comments

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/14/vicious-attack-by-fda-to-eliminate-most-of-your-supplements.aspx?e_cid=20110914_DNL

Disgusting, wonder what Ron Paul would say about this. Lots of people are outraged by this , I am sure this alone could turn some people towards Ron Paul.

truthspeaker
09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
This is an easy regulation rule to stop. It only takes a few companies to protest this new regulation before it's officially adopted (I think it takes 60 days for new bureaucratic regulations to be accepted). I don't think this will keep.

Seraphim
09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
This is a WTO, WHO mandate.

Global big pharma is trying legally stop all nutrition supplements by regulating them and calling them drugs.

No shit - they are trying to legally annoint Vit C etc as DRUGS to be controlled.

sevin
09-16-2011, 08:15 PM
What's the point of this? Do they just want people to be unhealthy? How have supplements ever hurt anyone? I seriously cannot imagine that anyone behind this has good motives.

drpaulsince76
09-20-2011, 08:44 AM
What would Ron Paul Do?

If anybody wants to do anything about this I post here on 8/16/11
Right to Know About the Science Behind Dietary Supplements!

Please go and tell others about this site Citizen for Health.
www.citizens.org/?page_id=2095

There are two Ron Paul bills:
HR 3394, the Freedom of Health Speech Act
HR 3395, the Health Freedom Act

Main site Citizens.org go to Supplements and see some the other good and bad legislation Senetor Durbin (D) Illinois is trying to do.

The FDA is trying to take our rights and supplements away. I was involved back in early 1990's helping get the word out for our rights to be able to choose and even have dietary supplements available. The biggest letter writing, calling and faxing campaign to congress took place. Today that cause was and still is the biggest out cry to Congress about ANY issue ever! OUR rights to choose to have dietary supplements access or not. This was bigger than protesting the congress about the Vietnam War. Help spread the word...thanks