PDA

View Full Version : Should slander be legal?

Cutlerzzz
09-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I would like to hear this boards opinion on the matter.

amy31416
09-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Cutlerzzz is a trolly, troll-troll who wears adult diapers and plays with plastic Lunchable containers.

Cutlerzzz
09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm not a troll, I just enjoy starting and particapating in crap storms.

Rothbardian Girl
09-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't think so. Maybe it shouldn't be a crime per se, but I think any party that can show they lost money as a result of being the target of slander or libel should be able to recoup some of those losses in court. I think it's a very sticky area and I'm not really sure what my opinion is, exactly. There's obviously the issue of free speech, but if the victim is hurt by false statements...

Maybe if it were legal, it would be the victim's responsibility to counter as much as possible... I'm sure this would be relatively easy to do if the victim were famous and had proof that the charges against him or her were false. It seems easier to keep slander illegal, though. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on the matter.

And I must agree with Amy, Cutlerzzz... you have a propensity for starting some classic, controversial threads! :p

Cutlerzzz
09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Some of Block's writing on the subject in Defending The Undefendable right here, on page 47.

http://mises.org/books/defending.pdf

Rothbardian Girl
09-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I will read your link. Thanks. I recognize my argument is kind of dumb because it would be pretty hard to show exactly how a person was damaged from libel or slander, and it's dumb to criminalize assaults on someone's reputation (which isn't part of his property), but it's just something I've honestly never really thought about before.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Slander is pretty much "legal".

I can say, "I think you rape puppies for pleasure" and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Ask Larry Flynt.

And what we see now is nothing compared to the slander, mud slinging and muck raking in the press and public opinion of 100 years ago.

ETA - Of course, just like everything else, that's changing for the worse.

"Anti bullying" and "hate crimes" legislation will restrict and criminalize speech in ways that were before considered unacceptable.

Cutlerzzz
09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I will read your link. Thanks. I recognize my argument is kind of dumb because it would be pretty hard to show exactly how a person was damaged from libel or slander, and it's dumb to criminalize assaults on someone's reputation (which isn't part of his property), but it's just something I've honestly never really thought about before.Getting people to think about this issue is what this thread is for.

low preference guy
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
votes yes. more speech is the solution here, not less. if the law treats people like idiots who can't discern the truth for themselves, you can use that same principle to justify the government telling us what to do about everything.

MikeStanart
09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Legal yes. Could I take you to court and sue your ass if I lose money because of it? Sure, if I have a compelling case.

amy31416
09-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm not a troll, I just enjoy starting and particapating in crap storms.

I notice that you didn't deny that you wear adult diapers and play with Lunchable containers.

I got yer number, pal.

Microsecessionist
09-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I voted yes because no property rights are violated if someone slanders someone else. No one has a right to not be lied about.

BUSHLIED
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I voted yes because no property rights are violated if someone slanders someone else. No one has a right to not be lied about.

I think is should be illegal to make knowingly false and malicious statements against someone...

an example would be to say to someone that person X or group persons Y, who happens to be say for example a pediatrician or medical clinic is/are a rapist(s) and child molester (s)...