PDA

View Full Version : No More Endless Breadsticks At Olive Garden; Budget Cuts? No, Michelle Obama…

sailingaway
09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.allamericanblogger.com/17411/no-more-endless-breadsticks-at-olive-garden-budget-cuts-no-michelle-obama/

ItsTime
09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Some calls to corporate offices telling them you will no longer eat there because there is no endless bread might be good.

Vessol
09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
I must admit I'm not the biggest fan's of Olive Garden, but their unlimited soup/salad/breadsticks was pretty sweet.

The company pledged to reduce the overall calories and sodium in its meals by 10 percent over the next five years, and by 20 percent over 10 years.

I don't know why, but this statement sounds so weird. It sounds like more of a government announcement rather than a business announcement. Kinda like how you got the announcements for the budget "reductions".

libertybrewcity
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
She was scared someone would take a picture of her with a bread stick in her mouth.

Bruno
09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
The audacity of plump.

She might get a little more respect for her weight-loss ideas if she dropped 40 pounds or so herself. Lead by example, not through legislation and coercion.

kah13176
09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
FUCK that. FUCK that. I will no longer have any respect for Michelle.

I eat like a pig. I'm underweight according to the BMI. NOW you take away my breadsticks?!? I loved those things!

Matthew5
09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
It kinda pisses me off that they're getting so cozy with Michelle Obama. After all the news of the White House dealings with favoritism in the private sector...I'm starting to see a pattern here. I'll be downloading a list of restaurants and boycotting them. I smell a rat.

Our Brands Overview (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/)
Red Lobster (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/redlobster/)
Olive Garden (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/olivegarden/)
LongHorn Steakhouse (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/longhorn/)
The Capital Grille (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/capitalgrille/)
Bahama Breeze (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/bahamabreeze/)
Seasons 52 (http://www.darden.com/restaurants/seasons52/)

No love loss here, really.

sluggo
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Calorie footprint?

jmdrake
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Wait a minute. I thought it was supposedly fast food that made the inner city kiddies fat? So why the attack on the sit down restaurants? Are they trying to get us ready for austerity?

123tim
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Wait a minute. I thought it was supposedly fast food that made the inner city kiddies fat? So why the attack on the sit down restaurants? Are they trying to get us ready for austerity?

Right.
Olive Garden "was" probably the healthiest restaurant that I've ever been in.

noxagol
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
But but, I thought bread was good for you?!?!

People would fill up on bread sticks (which are terrible for you because of the grains and carb amount), and so they would not lament the small portions of overpriced, fatty to the max (which is good for you) foods.

Mixed signals I detect!

amy31416
09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Any of you guys hear or read about some of the underground "restaurants" in NYC? Apparently some chefs hold special, invite-only, meals in their home where they serve illegal, experimental and possibly detrimental foods to their clientele who pay through the nose for the privilege.

Maybe we're headed back to those days, and I can run a bootleg "endless breadsticks" restaurant, along with some kick-ass soup and salad. Most of you will be invited. :)

brushfire
09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
fk these nannies... If they dont want bread, they dont have to buy/eat it.

I hope olive garden goes out of business.

Andrew Ryan
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo!!!!!!!

FSP-Rebel
09-15-2011, 08:42 PM

I eat like a pig. I'm underweight according to the BMI. NOW you take away my breadsticks?!? I loved those things!
Yeah, if that's the case I'll never go there again. Esp if Mitchell is part of this.

SilentBull
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Is this a real story?? I'm trying to stay calm here. What is wrong with the people that don't see a problem with this?

Brian4Liberty
09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Michelle Obama is like a smoker that wants to prohibit cigarettes because she can't control herself.

SilentBull
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
These people make me sick!

Brian4Liberty
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
One of the reasons to give out free extra salty snacks is so that people will get thirsty. There's a lot of money made selling overpriced alcohol at restaurants.

MikeStanart
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
I rarely ate at Olive Garden; but will now be permanetly boycotting their entire chain and sub-chains.

EDIT: Will also be encouraging my friends / family to boycott as well.

Screw you Nanny-State!

I lost 55 pounds and got healthy on my OWN, I'll be damned if some Nanny-state bureaucrat tries and forces eating habbits on others. If I have a moment of weakness and want to binge on breadsticks, I'll Do it, Damn It!

The One
Ya know what's odd? I've been to Olive Garden many times, but I've never eaten an olive there, nor have I seen a garden.

Rothbardian Girl
fk these nannies... If they dont want bread, they dont have to buy/eat it.

I hope olive garden goes out of business.
Me too. Every time I've eaten there, I've gotten sick afterwards. Must be the preservatives or something. :confused:

KurtBoyer25L
09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Assuming yr dating a person whose nose doesn't fall off before you try to make a move on them, eating lots of Olive Garden would tend to cut down severely on opportunities for human reproduction & thereby help remedy overpopulation, so any globalist should love everything about the place.

brushfire
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Ya know what's odd? I've been to Olive Garden many times, but I've never eaten an olive there, nor I have I seen a garden.
Grapenuts: You open the box... No grapes. No nuts. What's the deal??

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't know why, but this statement sounds so weird. It sounds like more of a government announcement rather than a business announcement. Kinda like how you got the announcements for the budget "reductions".

At least in Oceania, Big Brother promised increased rations.

Kylie
09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Can you show me where it actually says they will not be serving endless breadsticks anymore?

My whole family loves Olive Garden, and we would spend in the hundreds when we go there. They will lose all of our business because of this.

And I love their Ravioli de Portabello. :(

Rael
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Why don't you folks try actually reading the articles before jumping to conclusions. The article says nothing about them ending their breadsticks.

The One
09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Why don't you folks try actually reading the articles before jumping to conclusions. The article says nothing about them ending their breadsticks.

Why don't you use questions marks at the ends of your questions?

amy31416
09-15-2011, 10:35 PM

I did read the article, and I also read the headline. It says "no more endless breadsticks," which is what is being discussed.

Rael
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Why don't you use questions marks at the ends of your questions?

Why do you ask.

Rael
09-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I did read the article, and I also read the headline. It says "no more endless breadsticks," which is what is being discussed.

The headline is totally misleading.

The One
09-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Why do you ask.

Well-played. :D

amy31416
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
The headline is totally misleading.

How so?

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
How so?

The original article poses it as a question.

All that is confirmed is this:

"Much like a carbon footprint, we are looking at our calorie footprint as a measurement of total impact,” said Clarence Otis, Darden’s CEO. “That means we will reduce the number of calories across our entire portfolio of brands by reformulizing, resizing, removing certain items, and introducing new, calorie conscious, flavorful options.”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/15/no-more-endless-breadsticks/#ixzz1Y5VqvjMb

Now, that being said, the companies love this idea, because it gives them the excuse to do what every producer of almost every consumer product is doing these days as the dollar and economy implodes: charge the same for less.

The latest example I noticed just the other day when having to pick up some printer paper.

For years the default pack of paper was 500 sheets.

Now the trend is to 425 for the same price.

Looks the same, feels about the same and who notices except malcontents like me.

The One
09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
How so?

Not enough questions marks.

donnay
09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Make your own endless breadsticks! :p

Ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 20 portions. Shape each into a ball; roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled.

Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Brush warm breadsticks with butter. Yield: 20 breadsticks.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Soft-Garlic-Breadsticks

Rael
09-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Make your own endless breadsticks! :p

Yield: 20 breadsticks.

Fail.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
olivegarden.com/About-Us/Contact-Us/

donnay
09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Fail.

It takes little effort to double and triple the recipe. :D

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:02 PM
It kinda pisses me off that they're getting so cozy with Michelle Obama. After all the news of the White House dealings with favoritism in the private sector...I'm starting to see a pattern here. I'll be downloading a list of restaurants and boycotting them. I smell a rat.

No love loss here, really.

Bahama Breeze was the BOMB. Sad that because of this I won't be eating there again.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
At least in Oceania, Big Brother promised increased rations.

LMAO! beautiful and apropos

heavenlyboy34
09-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I didn't care for Olive Garden breadsticks, but legislating them is bullshit! :mad:

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
People better snap the fuck out of it.

I'm old enough to remember, this is exactly how the anti smoking campaign started, with "voluntary" and "reasonable" measures brought on by the wheedling and hectoring of public do gooders.

In thirty years, everybody will be eating low calorie government gruel, Soylent Green and GMO rice cakes, by mandate, and wondering what the fuck happened.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2011, 11:14 PM

I'm old enough to remember, this is exactly how the anti smoking campaign started, with "voluntary" and "reasonable" measures brought on by the wheedling and hectoring of public do gooders.

In thirty years, everybody will be eating low calorie government gruel, Soylent Green and GMO rice cakes, by mandate, and wondering what the fuck happened.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

amy31416
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Not if we tell 'em to fuck off and do our own thing.

I can make breadsticks like a mofo. How much do those weasels charge for soup, salad and bread?

fj45lvr
09-15-2011, 11:51 PM
we have to protect the children!!! and while she's at it maybe get some funding for abortion clinics too!!! LOL

Mani
09-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Not sure how many office lunches I got through by having salad, soup, and breadsticks.

Whenever we got tired of the same B.S. for lunch that was a nice getaway. Good times.

AF is right, we are heading toward the point where it will be NORMAL for the food to be highly regulated.

Guys remember the awesome communist commercial from the 90's?

Damn I don't remember the product (wendy's commercial???) Wow can't recall.

But it would a communist fashion show....The commie announces, Day wear. An unattractive plump lady walks out in a drap outfit. People clap in a polite big brother watching you clap. Then they announce, "Beach wear" The same lady comes out in the SAME drab outfit with a beach ball.

Then they announce another outfit, it's the same outfit with a different accessory like a hat or something. FUCKING awesome commercial, I've always remembered it.

But irony is USA slowly, slowly, slowly, inching closer in that direction.

heavenlyboy34
09-15-2011, 11:54 PM
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
I +repped him for you. :cool:

Mani
09-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Holy shit, I found it!

It was Wendys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2LSXyZ2QQI

Anti Federalist
09-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Holy shit, I found it!

It was Wendys!

That deserves an embed.

Good find!

ONUV
09-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Darden Restaurants got an Obamacare waiver last year. Hmmmmmm

I'd like to see a massive boycott of this company but they would just get a bailout.

V-rod
09-16-2011, 03:50 AM
This doesn't bother me too much. Let the free market punish these restaurant chains if they make stupid decisions.

A Son of Liberty
09-16-2011, 04:53 AM
*on way to Red Lobster to stock up on cheesy-garlic biscuits*

;)

ConvertedRepublican
09-16-2011, 06:00 AM
This makes no sense. Most people who are obese are poor. They generally don't go to restuarants like the Olive Garden or Red Lobster because McDonalds, Wendys, and BK are less expensive. Also no buffett resturants are on that list. That makes me think this is a just a political stunt to get publicity.

echebota
09-16-2011, 07:57 AM
"The company pledged to reduce the overall calories and sodium in its meals by 10 percent over the next five years, and by 20 percent over 10 years"

This sounds exactly like a "5 year plan" directive from 30 years ago's Soviet Union. It's scary I see it in 2011 in US :(

Apart from that, scientifically this is a wrong approach if you want to help people to loose wheight. Calories don't matter nearly as much as carbs intake. Carbs trigger fat accumulation. I and many of my friends lost all extra fat in 2 months by eating more calories but with less carbs. It's incredable. I was so surprized on how easy and poainless and actually enjoyble low carb food is. And no calories count! Exercise does not help in weight loss or maintenance either (you need it anyway just to stay fit). Meanwhile, governemnt pushes on us a food pyramid that has carbs at the foundation - as always fucking lie. Well, not eating bread sticks is a start. But again, for god sakes, it should be completely personal choice. I still enjoy bread sticks once in a while.

moostraks
09-16-2011, 08:03 AM
The latest example I noticed just the other day when having to pick up some printer paper.

For years the default pack of paper was 500 sheets.

Now the trend is to 425 for the same price.

Looks the same, feels about the same and who notices except malcontents like me.

:p I noticed too but I am the wife of a printer and used to do bindery. Downsizing stinks!!!

moostraks
09-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Darden Restaurants got an Obamacare waiver last year. Hmmmmmm

I'd like to see a massive boycott of this company but they would just get a bailout.

Darden foods is an inside player if I had to bet. They were consolidating right before the problems in 2008 and that is how dh ended up part of the first wave of displaced workers. It felt to me then and now that they had some foreknowledge because of the haste with which they were acting. On the plus side we were able to get a foreclosed home before they withdrew them from the market and dh got in as one of the last few hire-ins where he works at now. Life has a way of taking care of bottom dealers in the end, so maybe this will be their time?

sailingaway
09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Assuming yr dating a person whose nose doesn't fall off before you try to make a move on them, eating lots of Olive Garden would tend to cut down severely on opportunities for human reproduction & thereby help remedy overpopulation, so any globalist should love everything about the place.

If you both eat the garlic, that isn't a problem.

amy31416
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Don't let them eat cake! Mine all mine!

http://www.uncoverage.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Michelle-eats-more-ice-cream.jpg

http://carlanthonyonlinedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/mrs-obama-eating-at-a-restaurant.jpg?w=211&h=186

http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/Michelle-Obama-eating-pizza.jpg

http://zionstrumpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/aint-eating-no-peas.jpg

Seriously though...someone else said it: let the free market take care of restaurants that decide to pander to Michelle. Even better, avoid chains and go to a local restaurant.

Kregisen
09-16-2011, 10:18 AM
They are voluntarily making their food healthier...nothing wrong with that.

Yes, who knows, maybe this is step 1 out of 100 of having the government ban all unhealthy foods, but it's voluntary and if it's a big enough step, demand will drop and free markets will work.

Calm down please.

kahless
09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I suspect I am not the only one who will be boycotting Olive Garden out of principal for getting far too involved politically with this administration. The bad publicity coming from this will make it a bad business decision and hopefully put a nice size dent in shareholder value. I have not eaten there in years but now it is a rule that I will not only just never eat at at the Olive Garden but all chains associated with their corporate parent.

Noob
09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
All you can eat restaurants well probably be banned soon.

kylejack
09-16-2011, 10:29 AM
It is just a private company making a personal decision to serve healthier food. They are not "getting involved" with the administration. The First Lady is just saying, hey, good job.

There are plenty of other good reasons to boycott Olive Garden, like the fact that their food is lame and always has been.

Brian4Liberty
09-16-2011, 10:36 AM
All you can eat restaurants well probably be banned soon.

Why ban when you can tax? Look how much they tax cigarettes and alcohol.

Dustancostine
09-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Let Them Eat Cake!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8YMpe75I2ZE/TIe7KLQQ5yI/AAAAAAAAARk/FBu57RGEqvo/s400/2010-09-07-humor-michelle-antoinette.jpg

kahless
09-16-2011, 10:39 AM
It is just a private company making a personal decision to serve healthier food. They are not "getting involved" with the administration. The First Lady is just saying, hey, good job.

What hell else do you call it when they adopted her "Lets Move" platform.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-olive-garden-menu-obama-20110915,0,3141113.story

Obama spoke at a news conference held at an Olive Garden restaurant in Hyattsville, Md., in which Darden Chairman and Chief Executive Clarence Otis outlined changes the company's restaurants will make.

This initiative builds on the success of the First Lady's "Let's Move!"
http://investor.darden.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=605795

Darden - "Let's Move!" Press Conference
http://www.dardennews.com/assets/dardenannouncement91511.mp4

sailingaway
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
That deserves an embed.

Good find!

Olive garden needs that. MO is too far gone.

So, a liberty restaurant? 'Eat anything we can legally give you! No judgments no 'suggested servings', just good food...?'

Or, 'eat at Liberty restaurant! We won't treat you like a child.....'

MRK
09-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Fazoli's free breadsticks are where it's at my friend.

specialkornflake
09-16-2011, 06:15 PM
There doesn't appear to be any evidence that Olive Garden is ending the endless breadsticks. If they want to make the food 'healthier' that's their choice, no matter the influence.

donnay
09-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Denis Leary in Demolition man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizGkM6gbvQ

"[A]ccording to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal?"

"I've seen the future. You know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin, sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing, 'I'm an Oscar Meyer wiener.'"

moderate libertarian
09-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Not a Michelle Obama fan considering that she still stands with Obama but too much carbohydrates in typical breadsticks is not the best fillers while waiting for main entrees. But it should be free choice, not dictatorship lol

QueenB4Liberty
09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
wow I can't eat more than one of their breadsticks without not being able to eat my heal...but the unlimited soup salad and breadsticks was a big thing for them. I hope they suffer for this!