PDA

View Full Version : Is your job publicly funded?

gerryb
09-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Just curious how many folks have publicly funded jobs;

This could be anyone funded via contracts by any federal or state or local authority

This could also be anyone working for a non-profit or for-profit that receives fed/state/local grants or subsidies to fund their positions, or solicits sales/contracts from the gov't.

Icymudpuppy
09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
///

gerryb
09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
SHould be a poll.

You can't create the poll before the thread is started =P

acptulsa
09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Less than five percent of the company's business is governmental.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I suppose if you want to put a fine line on it, nobody does.

At some point, no matter what business you are in, somebody will come in the door spending tax money.

gerryb
09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I suppose if you want to put a fine line on it, nobody does.

At some point, no matter what business you are in, somebody will come in the door spending tax money.

While that's true, I am thinking "no, not at all" is more for one persons job specifically, is it publicly funded. Not someone working at dunkin donuts who sell 10% of their product to police.., but say you're a sales person who solicits and does 75% of their sales to gov't agencies.. then you'd be in 50%+ category

For less than and greater than 50%, I'm thinking of those non-profits or for-profits who receive grants or sell services for specific positions/tasks(like social work, environmental surveys, "scientific" tasks, direct sales or contracts etc., but the "unfunded" portion of the job would still exist through the other fundraising methods..

Anti Federalist
09-15-2011, 07:28 PM
While that's true, I am thinking "no, not at all" is more for one persons job specifically, is it publicly funded. Not someone working at dunkin donuts who sell 10% of their product to police.., but say you're a sales person who solicits and does 75% of their sales to gov't agencies.. then you'd be in 50%+ category

For less than and greater than 50%, I'm thinking of those non-profits or for-profits who receive grants or sell services for specific positions/tasks(like social work, environmental surveys, "scientific" tasks, direct sales or contracts etc., but the "unfunded" portion of the job would still exist through the other fundraising methods..

I stick by my "no, not at all" vote then.

pcosmar
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
No,
My job is not funded at all,
Publicly or otherwise.

libertybrewcity
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I work as a chemistry tutor at my school, but I pay state tuition so I think of it as a tuition refund.

Vessol
09-15-2011, 07:44 PM
No, I don't accept blood money as payment for my labor.

noxagol
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I work at walmart so we get a lot of welfare recipients shopping at our store, especially the area I live in (east side of the river around St. Louis, a lot of poor cities around).

I'll never forget the double cart of groceries totaling over 400 dollars, paid with a Link card (Illinois food stamps) that I helped out to her car, which happened to be a brand new Dodge magnum, still had the temp plates on it. I was fuming the rest of the day.

Sola_Fide
09-15-2011, 08:30 PM
My job is funded by foreigners who question daily why they keep doing buisiness here in America. It's not profitable for them anymore.

Eryxis
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm a pharmacist, just about anybody in the medical field is in the 50%+ category.

Matthew5
09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm proud to say our non-profit doesn't rely on any government aide. :)

Now my own personal life...I'm actually working on rooting out any government aide in my life. I have a small student loan (subsidized) that I'll be transferring to a private loan.

It's a long journey once you realize how much they're involved in everything!

madengr
09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Evil defense contractor here, but being an electrical engineer, my only other job prospects would be in China.

Brian4Liberty
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Just curious how many folks have publicly funded jobs;

This could be anyone funded via contracts by any federal or state or local authority

This could also be anyone working for a non-profit or for-profit that receives fed/state/local grants or subsidies to fund their positions, or solicits sales/contracts from the gov't.

Funny, I just asked this same question in the thread about "getting money from government".

No,
My job is not funded at all,
Publicly or otherwise.

Lol! More and more of us can claim that every day. ;) :o :( :mad:

No, I don't accept blood money as payment for my labor.

Many people don't want to. If they really stick by their principles, they end up in the category above.

bkreigh
09-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Military so yes.

liberalnurse
09-16-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm an RN and have been employed @ our County Prison for 17 years. So, yes we're 100% funded by tax dollars. I'll be 57 in 3 years and eligible to retire with 20 years service. So, I'll also be receiving one of those "evil" public paid for pension plans. On a side note as an RN for 35 years I've never been a member of a union.

Acala
09-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Yup. 100%. I am a municipal employee living directly off the taxpayer. On the rare occasion I can influence policy towards liberty, but generally I am just a cog. In a few years my children will hopefully be fully launched. I hope at that time to be fully prepared to walk away from the beast.

oyarde
09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
no

brandon
09-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Evil defense contractor here, but being an electrical engineer, my only other job prospects would be in China.

THat's what I thought coming out of college too, but I've actually done quite well in the non-defense private sector. There's tons of embedded engineering jobs in my area.

oyarde
09-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Where I work , we make one sale every ten years to census office in Louisville . Every thing else is small mnfg plants in midwest .

swiftfoxmark2
09-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I've a software developer and there are a lot of non-government options for now. The company I work for works with telecommunications companies, although some of those may be foreign state-owned.

Brian4Liberty
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
So, the real question is what portion of the ~62% is unemployed? Bet it's a lot...

Brian4Liberty
09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Having "unemployed" as an option would have made for a better indicator of those with jobs that are not directly or one-level indirectly paid by government.

carmaphob
09-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Most of the time no, but I'm on a Davis Bacon job now at the VA hospital.

You guys just bought me a new drum set. Thanks!

DamianTV
09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Uh, what job?

realtonygoodwin
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I am in the military, so 100% of my pay come from the public.

Thanks for paying your taxes, everyone!

axiomata
09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Do public utilities count? I mean they are publicly owned and operated to some degree but the funds come from user fees and not income taxes. I have no clue how foreign utilities are funded.

Icymudpuppy
09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm self employed in the home service industry. While you could argue that some of my clients pay me with money they got from government jobs, I don't ask my clients where they work. I don't give military or other discounts, and the real generator of my business is not who works where, but the fairly random infestation of nuisance wildlife who don't discriminate by age, sex, race, religion, employment status, national origin, or income level... They infest all people equally. Lets give it up for the truly nondiscriminating wildlife.

pcosmar
09-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Lets give it up for the truly nondiscriminating wildlife.

lol
:D

anaconda
09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm collecting unemployment at the moment.

axiomata
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Lets give it up for the truly nondiscriminating wildlife. I was going to say that I've met some racist dogs (and copist and mailmanist) but they are not wildlife. Probably learned it from some human.

madengr
09-16-2011, 04:43 PM
THat's what I thought coming out of college too, but I've actually done quite well in the non-defense private sector. There's tons of embedded engineering jobs in my area.

I do RF/Microwave design. Not much of that other than mil.

Philhelm
09-16-2011, 05:01 PM
My job exists because of the government, but the government is the "opponent." (Especially the DHS :D)

Humanae Libertas
09-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Self-employed here. No way of knowing if my clients are giving me tax money from checks via welfare, or whatever.

RedLightning
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
My last two jobs have been funded by grants or county taxes.

ChaosControl
09-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm currently a student at a private university, so currently no.